Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: What's your take on the rumors at Disney/Lucasfilm?  (Read 7236 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« on: July 11, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »

I was wondering, any of you follow the rumors going on right now? (Overlord DVD for exemple on youtube)
What do you think? Will they erase the sequels and fire KK?
I'm not sure if we should be hopeful anymore. And if they do let Ruin Johnson make another SW movie...

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 03:30:42 PM »

I was wondering, any of you follow the rumors going on right now? (Overlord DVD for exemple on youtube)
What do you think? Will they erase the sequels and fire KK?
I'm not sure if we should be hopeful anymore. And if they do let Ruin Johnson make another SW movie...

Everything with a HUGE grain of salt.   But I can't see them just "erasing" the sequel trilogy...I think, if anything, they are going to try to ignore it and focus on something else.  As for Darth KK...the rumors have swirled for a while that Bob Iger was not happy with her handling of SW.  The New Bob isn't either.  But I doubt they will fire her.  She will probably "step down".

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »

Everything with a HUGE grain of salt.   But I can't see them just "erasing" the sequel trilogy...I think, if anything, they are going to try to ignore it and focus on something else.  As for Darth KK...the rumors have swirled for a while that Bob Iger was not happy with her handling of SW.  The New Bob isn't either.  But I doubt they will fire her.  She will probably "step down".

I agree, they won't erase the sequel trilogy.   What's done is done.  Kathleen Kennedy's exit, however, is very plausible.  A lot of online suggestions say that Dave Filoni  (hope I spelled that right) should take her place.  A few have suggested Jon Favreau, but I think Filoni would be better, only because he's been associated with Star Wars far longer.  We'll see.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 04:32:07 PM »

After reading the headlines of "Star Wars Sequel trilogy to be erased... and Kathleen Kennedy to step down in disgrace!" the first thing I thought was that it was all too good to be true, and I think that's ultimately what's going on. They can try to pull some shenanigans like JJ did with trying to erase Ep. 8 with his Ep. 9 but as we've seen, that kind of stuff just goes to make everything more convoluted and confusing when viewing the Canon as a whole. As far as KK, I can't really see her stepping down because from the majority of what I've seen from Disney they do like what she has done. The only reason I could see them be upset with her direction is the lack of money that's being brought in (granted, that's more than enough nowadays to give someone the axe) but conceptually they seemed to have no problem with the mess of the Sequel Trilogy as it was playing out. A lot of the top people at Lucasfilm even jumped on the bandwagon to bash fans who had the gall to criticize their precious trilogy.

I've got this whole thing filed mentally under "fake news" but honestly, I hope I'm wrong.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »

I'd love it if they would scratch the sequels but I don't see that happening =/
I agree with the too good to be true statement.
As for KK, those rumors have been around since Solo. And there she is. (Though her contract may not be renewed, I don't see her being fired).
But I really really really want them to ban Ruin from touching SW ever again.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 06:31:46 PM »

I'd love it if they would scratch the sequels but I don't see that happening =/
I agree with the too good to be true statement.
As for KK, those rumors have been around since Solo. And there she is. (Though her contract may not be renewed, I don't see her being fired).
But I really really really want them to ban Ruin from touching SW ever again.

I agree about Rian, allowing him back would be a slap in the face to many. Giving him any kind of "creative freedom" would be an even bigger slap.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 07:53:06 PM »

Personally, I think this would the wrong way to deal with the ST...what's been done is done. Point. There were flaws in the plot and cast (Rian and his way of telling Ep VIII, for example), but you always have that. You'll never please everybody.

Just imagine you come across something you don't like...or somebody. Do you try to get rid of it whatever it costs? As long as it doesn't pose a threat to your life, try to accept it as a part of your life - or just ignore it. Anything else would lead to anarchy. And please don't try to impose your opinion on others that have different opinions or suppress them. That's autocracy.

And what the most important thing is - we're talking about movies, about entertainment. Nothing that would be critical for survival! I do understand that there are many people who dislike or even hate what has been done there, but there are as many who like and love the ST. They would never accept a withdrawal or even destruction of these movies, just like the haters would never accept that the movies are still around.
Many younger people didn't even see anything of Star Wars prior to the ST, they don't have the insight and depth about Star Wars than others have and would never understand why the movies would be withdrawn again! Think of these as well before asking for a senseless action...

Don't always think that all have the same opinion, and don't think that they change their mind just because the haters repeat their request over and over again! If they don't like it, well, it's their opinion, and I respect that, but I don't respect that they try to take away the fascination and feeling from those who like the ST - like me!

Sorry, that might sound a bit harsh, but I thought it's been the time to comment on this discussion in a more direct way. Please don't feel offended, but I couldn't find other words...I just don't get it why the ST lovers have such a hard time among the ST haters who constantly bash them for liking the ST...it would be so easy to just accept the different opinions on the whole thing.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »

First of all. I'm not bashing anyone for liking those movies. I have very close friends that do. And I didn't mind TFA, though it lacked creativity and plausibility with the galaxy being in trouble again.
The thing is, it's not being a hater for being a hater. Ruin did a horrible movie in the storytelling department. Disney failed to have a vision for three consecutive movies... Each was made independently. It's the recipe for failure and inconcistancy.
You have every right to like the movies. Even the one Ruin did. But you also have to acknowledge that from a technical point of view and a writing point of view, it is a bad movie. Countless flaws have been put forward, and none of my friends or everyone else I've seen defend this particular movie could come up with solid arguments about Jake Skywalker, the plot, and so on.

Hell, there are a few bad movies I love myself. I just know they aren't good movies. Doesn't stop me from loving them.

As for retconning the ST... Well, Disney retconned the whole EU... So why not use the veil of the force to create an official timeline whithout the ST? It doesn't mean they are gone, like the EU is still there. They just wouldn't be part of the canon.

I have to admit, I hope Disney will show an unedited version of TROS. I'd watch that.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 08:17:55 PM »

Disney measures the success of their IP's largely by the merchandising profits. Toys in particular. The sequels aren't really doing too well in that department. So something is going to change. I doubt they will reset, though. That will be too controversial. I hope they make movies in between EP's 6 and 7 so they can tell the Skywalker stories we all wanted to see. Disney is going to do something to fix the current situation. They have way too much money on the line.
This YT vid pretty much echos how I feel about the ST:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywT7arOAnc4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywT7arOAnc4</a>

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 08:37:44 PM »

Disney measures the success of their IP's largely by the merchandising profits. Toys in particular. The sequels aren't really doing too well in that department. So something is going to change. I doubt they will reset, though. That will be too controversial. I hope they make movies in between EP's 6 and 7 so they can tell the Skywalker stories we all wanted to see. Disney is going to do something to fix the current situation. They have way too much money on the line.

Yeah, the toy business seems lacking... I recall videos of people stacking Rose Tikos... Then again, it kind of all happened together with toys r'us biting the bullet =/
I do hope they'll retcon them. But I honestly don't see that happening =/
I fully agree with your statement though. They NEED to do something to put SW back on the right tracks. Anyone with their right minds can see the damage done by RJ. (how does one chose a man that said his goal in life is to make movies hated by half of the viewers???)

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:04:49 PM »

Thank You,  So many think the movies are the only thing that matter.  It wasn't the movies that kept SW alive between ROTJ and TPM.  On the Toys that  Made Us on Netflix the Star Wars episode had an exec mention the Merch made double what the films did.  Its why the "Muachandising" joke was in Space Balls.  Gentle Giant's head honcho even said in a recent interview there wasn't a big market for the Sequel merch.  Beyond the disinterest in the Sequel films there is another aspect some groups have discussed.  The ST films seemed to many to be targeted at the "Gen Z" crowd.  Understandable, get the young kids into it to keep it alive. But the decided to abandon many of SW themes (imo) to do it.  But in terms of Gen Z...they don't really buy Merch.  Collectors my age love merch....action figures especially for me.  But the younger generation is very minimalist when it comes to things like that.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 09:10:45 PM »

Rumors are rumors until action occurs to me. I'm not one for rumors, myself

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 09:16:30 PM »

First of all. I'm not bashing anyone for liking those movies. I have very close friends that do. And I didn't mind TFA, though it lacked creativity and plausibility with the galaxy being in trouble again.
The thing is, it's not being a hater for being a hater. Ruin did a horrible movie in the storytelling department. Disney failed to have a vision for three consecutive movies... Each was made independently. It's the recipe for failure and inconcistancy.
You have every right to like the movies. Even the one Ruin did. But you also have to acknowledge that from a technical point of view and a writing point of view, it is a bad movie. Countless flaws have been put forward, and none of my friends or everyone else I've seen defend this particular movie could come up with solid arguments about Jake Skywalker, the plot, and so on.

Hell, there are a few bad movies I love myself. I just know they aren't good movies. Doesn't stop me from loving them.

As for retconning the ST... Well, Disney retconned the whole EU... So why not use the veil of the force to create an official timeline whithout the ST? It doesn't mean they are gone, like the EU is still there. They just wouldn't be part of the canon.

I have to admit, I hope Disney will show an unedited version of TROS. I'd watch that.

Like I said, I don't blame anyone here for bashing, I know the UltraSabers community too well for that Wink And I kow that we all respect each other here Smiley

As for the storytelling...it was definitely a mistake not to outline the story first and then do the shooting but rather doing the film without an actual plot to stick to as well as hiring directors with totally different ideas on how to realise the movies. No one would've had problems if there were minor flaws, every movie has them, when the story is consistent and logical as a whole. Or if different directors would've worked together to provide a consistent experience. I didn't actually hate Ep VIII, as I tried to fill the plot holes with my own ideas on how and why this and that happened to the characters, but that shouldn't be the part of us but rather of the writers and directors to provide a good story and some more background than whe had in EP VIII.

As for retconning the ST...that's actually what I always try to use as an argument in discussion, seeing it as an alternative timeline. One of many. Not the one and only. I read a lot from the old EU, and I see the ST as another possible timeline. It might be canon now, but that doesn't make it the only outcome of the years after Endor. Leave it as it is, and use your imagination, that's what we're supposed to do Wink That's the way the old EU has been established, and that's how we should deal with the new canon as well. We can still make the ST better and more logical from a Star Wars POV if we just use our own ideas Cheesy

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 09:31:41 PM »

Thank You,  So many think the movies are the only thing that matter.  It wasn't the movies that kept SW alive between ROTJ and TPM.  On the Toys that  Made Us on Netflix the Star Wars episode had an exec mention the Merch made double what the films did.  Its why the "Muachandising" joke was in Space Balls.  Gentle Giant's head honcho even said in a recent interview there wasn't a big market for the Sequel merch.  Beyond the disinterest in the Sequel films there is another aspect some groups have discussed.  The ST films seemed to many to be targeted at the "Gen Z" crowd.  Understandable, get the young kids into it to keep it alive. But the decided to abandon many of SW themes (imo) to do it.  But in terms of Gen Z...they don't really buy Merch.  Collectors my age love merch....action figures especially for me.  But the younger generation is very minimalist when it comes to things like that.

That is indeed an interesting take on the matter. And now I understand the merch joke in Spaceballs better xD

It's a pitty that action figures don't do the trick anymore... I do hope my son will enjoy them a bit =) (if only to have an excuse for buying them =p)

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »

Like I said, I don't blame anyone here for bashing, I know the UltraSabers community too well for that Wink And I kow that we all respect each other here Smiley

As for the storytelling...it was definitely a mistake not to outline the story first and then do the shooting but rather doing the film without an actual plot to stick to as well as hiring directors with totally different ideas on how to realise the movies. No one would've had problems if there were minor flaws, every movie has them, when the story is consistent and logical as a whole. Or if different directors would've worked together to provide a consistent experience. I didn't actually hate Ep VIII, as I tried to fill the plot holes with my own ideas on how and why this and that happened to the characters, but that shouldn't be the part of us but rather of the writers and directors to provide a good story and some more background than whe had in EP VIII.

As for retconning the ST...that's actually what I always try to use as an argument in discussion, seeing it as an alternative timeline. One of many. Not the one and only. I read a lot from the old EU, and I see the ST as another possible timeline. It might be canon now, but that doesn't make it the only outcome of the years after Endor. Leave it as it is, and use your imagination, that's what we're supposed to do Wink That's the way the old EU has been established, and that's how we should deal with the new canon as well. We can still make the ST better and more logical from a Star Wars POV if we just use our own ideas Cheesy
Yeah, it's not all on JJ's or RJ's shoulders, though I can't get over what RJ did. The first mistake was hiring three different people whithout telling them to work something out together and with a SW versed writting crew.

As far as I am concerned, ST isn't canon. But officialy, it still is. For now. But I'm still mad at them for ruining the reunion of Han, Luke and Leia...

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up