Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Another Guardian Review  (Read 6329 times)
empty
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

« on: January 07, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »

I finally got my Guardian today.  I'm in the Philippines so it took an extra two weeks to get here. Smiley

There are already several reviews posted so these are more of my first impressions.  I also tried to post many close up photos form different angels to give you a better idea of how it looks.

My first impression was that it was big!  I ordered it along with a Prophecy v3 and Phantasm, as soon as I removed the wrapped sabers from the box there was no question which one was the Guardian even covered in bubble wrap.   The hilt is longer than any of my other sabers.  Together with the standard mid-grade blade it makes the overall length 46.5".

Here it is with my other sabers (top to bottom: Phantasm, HFX Luke ROTJ, Ultra FX Darth Vader ANH, Guardian, HFX Anakin - Removable Blade, Prophecy v3 (my friends saber)

The Guardian is the longest saber,  notice the bullet tip on the Vader Smiley

Speaking of the mid grade blade,  I feel it is too light for this hilt.  I think I should have gone with the heavy grade or ultra edge,  aside from being hilt-heavy the mid grade bends and wobbles too much on impact.  It just doesn't have that solid feel that would match this hilt.

The hilt itself is awesome!

It definitely feels like a heavy duty weapon and it can hold its own in terms of looks beside collectible lightsabers.  The fit and finish is top notch although I do have to say its not cosmetically perfect.  My hilt had a small mark on the shroud near the emitter and the red thumb screw had a tiny nick.  I'm not troubled as I'm sure it will get more battle scars in time.

Here are some close up images for you to drool over  Grin

notice the black "jewel" in the brass thumbscrew

The tolerances are pretty tight.  There is hardly any gap between the shroud and main body.  I was worried the shroud might feel loose,  that is definitely not the case.  In fact I hesitate to call it a shroud as it really is an integral part of the hilt.

Hardly any gap.  The line you see in the groves are machine marks but it is completely flat inside the grooves

As the other reviews have mentioned the pommel is actually a 3 piece unit.  It looks like one integrated unit and you can't see any gaps unless you look for them.  The only issue I have with the design is that its very easy to screw off the bottom piece instead of the entire pommel when swapping out batteries.  I will probably put some loc-tite on it to keep it from happening.

I got my saber with Obsidian sound.  Cool   Compared to the more open pommel designs the Guardian pommel definitely attenuates the volume.  I'd say it has brought it down to the volume level of a MR/HFX saber. 

I wish there was a bit more wire to allow the battery holder to come out more.  The li-ion cells are pretty tight and I would appreciate more room to maneuver them out of the holder.

I got the Guardian in Dark Violet Amethyst.  Since I don't have a VA saber to compare it to I don't know if what I got is actually DVA.  I'm not sure if my request was followed as the Prophecy I ordered together with the Guardian had SY requested in the comments but it still arrived in SRD (will email Emory about that).

The color in real life is a bit lighter than the photo.  It is about the same color as a MR/HFX Mace Windu but brighter.

From top to bottom: Phantasm AS, HFX Luke ROTJ, Ultra FX Darth Vader ANH BR, Guardian DVA?, HFX Anakin - Removable Blade, Prophecy v3 SRD

Here is a close up of the clever windows/holes hidden in the screws:

Well thats it for now.  The batteries are charged up and I will spend some time with my Guardian. MTFBWY!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

Fantastic pictures Empty.

A point to you.

It's interesting to see that the pommel comes apart as two pieces, I wonder what different pommels connected to the top half of the Guardians'.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »

A VERY detailed review!  Me Like!

In all seriousness, though, a very thorough analysis that you did here.  How do you find the sound compares to your non-US sabers?

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »

Very good quality pics  Cool point for you empty. I agree with ed_ification How does obsidian sound compare to the Mr/hasbro sabers?

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Malek / Katarn
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »

I am seriously jealous of that collection. Great review and great photos

The sixth one down is my favourite, its a perfect shot

"I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions." ― Kyle Katarn

Consular in Arctic Blue - Jehuty
Bellicose in Lime Green - Eclipse

Old Republic: Jedi Knight - Kaliber

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »

Excellent photos and detailed review! You're making me want one of these, and I'd almost managed to shake that. lol Very well done review. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »

Nice. Is the saber large at all in hand?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »

Nice. Is the saber large at all in hand?

I would say heavy more than large.  The diameter is about the same as an MLS compatible hilt,  The Luke ROTJ is thicker.  One thing though is that I think, despite its size, its not a two handed saber.  The thumbscrews and other embellishments towards the emitter make it awkward to hold up high.  The covertec keeps you from holding it down low, so you basically keep both hands in the grip area.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Cheesy

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:57:12 AM »

Since a lot of you are interested in the sound.  I took a few videos for you to hear the actual saber.

Note that the Guardian sounds fuller, deeper than the MR/HFX sabers but when I viewed the videos the audio track shows that the actual volume (the peaks in the waveform) are about the same.

Here it is comparing the loudness:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skt5cclnjXM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skt5cclnjXM</a>

Here I go through the sound font that was loaded on the saber:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJtqDIqlSs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJtqDIqlSs</a>

Since the pommel is in three pieces you can actually remove the bottom and leave it as an open pommel.  The top part still keeps the speaker/battery holder in place.  And I think it still looks quite nice:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTr8fAtKHvk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTr8fAtKHvk</a>

qroon
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »

First time poster here Smiley Nice collection you have there. I'm now torn between The Guardian and Raven (with guardian blue)!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: