Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Active Martial Artists  (Read 3369 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »

I took that quote to heart, when I was fighting in armor.  When you're fighting a sword and shield, there aren't that many openings to exploit.  So I trained myself to make a strike called a "slot shot" my bread and butter shot.  It targeting an opening at mid chest height between the shield and the forte of the sword.  It's target is the bicep of the sword arm.  I performed this shot a minimum of 100 times a night, every night, until I could do it without any conscious thought.

I highly recommend this challenge to anyone who wants to improve.  If you do seek out Syr Brealthen des Raimes, tell her Sextus sent you.  She also duels with lightsabers, and she and I will be training in this discipline, together.
I just set up a makeshift "pell" by adding some pool noodles to my pull-up/dip tower. It's a cramped indoor area to use my actual saberstaff, or my 6' hardwood bo, but it's sufficient to use my 5' tapered wood bo.

I do also have a nice big tree in front of my apartment which would allow more freedom of movement, but I don't really want to destroy my wooden bos on it, so I may just pick up a 6' length of PVC pipe with the same diameter as my saberstaff hilt, and maybe weight it somehow.

I got in some preliminary practice, but realized that I need to better differentiate the height of my high, mid, and low strikes when actually hitting a target with them.

I think I will refine my methods a little bit to establish a consistent setup, but I will definitely look into the resources you have mentioned.

I'm considering throwing up a thread/topic for that sort of thing in the Saber Combat section, since I don't recall there being one already!

Thank you again.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

Light side points only, please.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 09:11:54 PM »

I just set up a makeshift "pell" by adding some pool noodles to my pull-up/dip tower. It's a cramped indoor area to use my actual saberstaff, or my 6' hardwood bo, but it's sufficient to use my 5' tapered wood bo.

I do also have a nice big tree in front of my apartment which would allow more freedom of movement, but I don't really want to destroy my wooden bos on it, so I may just pick up a 6' length of PVC pipe with the same diameter as my saberstaff hilt, and maybe weight it somehow.

I got in some preliminary practice, but realized that I need to better differentiate the height of my high, mid, and low strikes when actually hitting a target with them.

I think I will refine my methods a little bit to establish a consistent setup, but I will definitely look into the resources you have mentioned.

I'm considering throwing up a thread/topic for that sort of thing in the Saber Combat section, since I don't recall there being one already!

Thank you again.

THAT. IS. AWESOME.

I am proud of you for taking this training method to heart, Sir.  It really will help you more than you realize.  It improved my skill by about 1000%, not exagerrating.

Ok, if you're serious about taking this to the next level, you need to look up The Bellatrix training method, for swordsmanship.  It will help refine your body mechanics.

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 09:16:51 PM »

Thank you. I have been doing a good bit of traditional Taekwondo form practice, as well as some practice with various spins, but practice on an actual target is something that my training has been lacking.

I got in WAY more than 100 strikes on the "pell" today, mostly trying to figure out the setup and figuring out what combinations of strikes seem to work best and which ones I want to continue practicing the most.

Here's one sequence I rather like and want to continue practicing, both on the target and just practicing in the open:

https://i.imgur.com/a2C0X8a.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/z3SBt28.mp4

You know what, I'm going to start a thread/topic for this.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Thire
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -1

A delicate balance of the Light and Dark sides...

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 05:02:52 AM »

So, I recently got the go for me to run a karate class at my church's big open basement. Exciting because having a class of my own was one of my goals since I moved a year and a half ago. Now I will be able to teach Goju Ryu to anyone who wants to learn self defence, but also have a fun space and environment for weapons practice!

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But when we speak, listen, and act, that's when we change." -Hiroyoki Sawano

The Goods:
Aeon v2 - Guardian Blue - No sound - 32" Blade - First Saber

Apprentice v5 - Blazing Red - No sound - 32" Blade - Shoto

Awaiting:

Bellicose - Arctic Blue - Obsidian Premium Sound v4 - 32" Blade - Awaiting since June 2020

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 08:20:19 PM »

We had a brief return to the dojo before Thanksgiving, but then we were shut down again.   Our head instructor is now bringing us back into the dojo but we're very spaced out, so actual class size is small and there's no contact...

Makes sparring difficult.

We're working on testing procedures now, since sparring is part of the testing procedure for all students green belt and up.

Meanwhile we've been doing weekly zoom calls and at-home work-outs.    Personally:  My job has killed my work-out time and I am horribly out of shape, but my daughters and I are starting to work on that, doing mainly forms and katas.  Also considering getting into some sword techniques that we can use the sabers for.

Our form is American Karate, we're part of a group called "Christian Soldiers Karate" started by J. Pat Burlison and following his American Karate format.  My elder daughter is a 3rd degree, my younger daughter and I are second degree. 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Thire
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -1

A delicate balance of the Light and Dark sides...

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 04:00:11 AM »

Hmm it seems like a lot of classes for martial arts are run in a church of some kind or in a relation to one. My first class was run in a church's gym and my new class will be in a church's basement gym area.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But when we speak, listen, and act, that's when we change." -Hiroyoki Sawano

The Goods:
Aeon v2 - Guardian Blue - No sound - 32" Blade - First Saber

Apprentice v5 - Blazing Red - No sound - 32" Blade - Shoto

Awaiting:

Bellicose - Arctic Blue - Obsidian Premium Sound v4 - 32" Blade - Awaiting since June 2020

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: