Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Pommels?  (Read 1918 times)
Hymn347
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

>>Light Side Points Please<<

« on: July 29, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »

Hey just wondering what the heaviest pommel is?
I want to try and counter balance my blade.
Thanks in advance

May the Force guide you and Peace find you.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:02:33 AM »

Where, exactly, are you looking for the balance point to be?

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:17:22 AM »

While I can't speak to the heaviest pommel (I honestly don't think I've ever heard that question asked before) I can give you an idea on how to tinker with the weight. One of the ways I manage to weigh down sabers is with inexpensive lead sinkers that you can get at any fishing section of a store. I just wrap them in plastic wrap so that you don't end up touching them and pop them in. It totally depends on if you have a bit of room to work with in the pommel though (not all pommels are the same).

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Hymn347
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 05:37:09 PM »

While I can't speak to the heaviest pommel (I honestly don't think I've ever heard that question asked before) I can give you an idea on how to tinker with the weight. One of the ways I manage to weigh down sabers is with inexpensive lead sinkers that you can get at any fishing section of a store. I just wrap them in plastic wrap so that you don't end up touching them and pop them in. It totally depends on if you have a bit of room to work with in the pommel though (not all pommels are the same).
i'll try this, thank you for the advice

Hymn347
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:45:23 PM »

Where, exactly, are you looking for the balance point to be?
Right now its about 2-3 inches higher than where my index finger is supposed to rest, so as I'm sparring I end up holding it by the window and start to peel skin off my thumb...
If I could move it down at all it would help. Plus the more balanced the faster you can move your saber so there's that.
I'm going to try putting lead weights inside the hilt just above the pommel and see if that helps.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:53:06 PM »

Right now its about 2-3 inches higher than where my index finger is supposed to rest, so as I'm sparring I end up holding it by the window and start to peel skin off my thumb...
If I could move it down at all it would help. Plus the more balanced the faster you can move your saber so there's that.
I'm going to try putting lead weights inside the hilt just above the pommel and see if that helps.

If nothing else the lead sinkers can serve as a temporary mod until you get some idea of what weight you are looking for. All the pommels are machined from aluminum and while they do have different weights as to their design and construction I can't imagine it's a huge difference.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »

Yeah, if I had that saber, I'd be holding it up over the windows essentially at the edge of the emitter. So this is another reason I don't like the v5's. Not necessarily because of the balance, but that's just how I hold a sword.

That's … subjective. "More balanced" depends on where you like the balance to be, and your combat style also dictates how the weapon should be balanced.

If your pommel is solid, which I'm guessing yours is, and if you find that the lead weights are too heavy and move the balance too much, what you can also do is find some metal washers or weights that are slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the saber, and glue them to the pommel.

Or what Saso Is-kor suggested will work perfectly and we'll all be happy.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 07:21:48 PM »

In general US sound capable pommels are all made with a 1 inch inner diameter. Therefore the  longer or wider the pommel the more it will weigh. Since the pommels are hollow, if you are not running sound you can fill them with what ever weights can meet your needs. Also pommels from TCSS are thinner which while making them lighter also makes them more spacious to fill with more higher density materials than aluminum if needed

Pics of Shock, Warglaive, and TCSS pommels:

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 09:35:14 PM »

^^^ Good stuff firehand, I love me a good TCSS pommel. They sure increased the amount of pommel options by a wide margin.

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 02:41:18 AM »

The Renegade is the heaviest pommel I know of.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Hymn347
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 05:00:16 AM »

I filled my pommel with lead, added about a quarter pound to the pommel and definitely helps
thanks for all the advice guys

Phantom.009
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »

I got a stunt Dark Catalyst and instead of getting a the Dark Catalyst i'm thinking of getting a Grand Master Pommel, but I'm not sure if they fit smoothly together. 

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »

Two of the heavier pommels are the Renegade and the Fulcrum. Try them out.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 01:31:34 AM »

I got a stunt Dark Catalyst and instead of getting a the Dark Catalyst i'm thinking of getting a Grand Master Pommel, but I'm not sure if they fit smoothly together. 

They should.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »

It depends on what you mean by "smoothly."

The GM pommel will certainly fit on the Catalyst, but the Catalyst pommel is 1.4" in diameter at it's widest point, and is flush with the Catalyst hilt (meaning they both have the same diameter). The GM is listed as being 1.6" in diameter, but from the pictures, it looks like the diameter of the GM pommel is smaller than the hilt. So I don't know for certain if they would be the same diameter and be flush, or if the GM pommel is slightly larger and there would be a small lip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: