Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ancient Monarch WIP  (Read 2178 times)
richmbailey
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 282

« on: August 24, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »

Updating a US Monarch to be an ancient/older looking hilt. Empty hilt show. Will update electronics next.

Chosen One SE (BR) Obsidian v3 Sound
Dark Monarch - Ancient Mods with 3rd party sound
Bellicose (FO) Obsidian Sound
Graflex (GB) 3rd party sound
Flamberge (BR) Stunt
Dark Shock Hybrid (BR FoC FO) 3rd party sound
Consular (CG) Obsidian Sound

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »

See, when someone ELSE does this, I think it looks fantastic, but I’m too cautious to deliberately do something like this to my own sabers.  I have very little faith in my “arts and crafts” abilities.

Seriously, this looks really good!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »

See, when someone ELSE does this, I think it looks fantastic, but I’m too cautious to deliberately do something like this to my own sabers.  I have very little faith in my “arts and crafts” abilities.

Seriously, this looks really good!

Not too crafty. I just sanded, used some small files to nick it up some. Then painted with black, then gold metallic, then black again. Once dried, I sanded to give that layered affect. Then clear coat with matte.

Drilled a couple of holes and added the jewel and 10/32 hex screw to add some greeblies. Next, I'll install a new soundcard/LED. Nothing crazy on this one.

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »

Not too crafty. I just sanded, used some small files to nick it up some. Then painted with black, then gold metallic, then black again. Once dried, I sanded to give that layered affect. Then clear coat with matte.

Drilled a couple of holes and added the jewel and 10/32 hex screw to add some greeblies. Next, I'll install a new soundcard/LED. Nothing crazy on this one.

Nothing crafty...

[proceeds to list several steps, each of which would make me incredibly nervous about the outcome]

Nothing crazy on this one.

LOL.  You truly do not understand my lack of faith in my own skills.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »

Nothing crafty...

[proceeds to list several steps, each of which would make me incredibly nervous about the outcome]

I watched many videos on weathering props (many on Youtube), scale models and even furniture. I used some old parts in my garage to practice on. Takes a few tries but eventually you can develop your own skills needed. Weathering should look natural so its never going to be perfect. Some mistakes I've made turned out to look amazing since it was unintentional, which is the point of weathering.

If you are hesitant, use scrap pieces to practice on so you are not doing on your hilts until you are ready. Smiley

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 04:38:51 PM »

Nothing crafty...

Well, think of it this way: If you leave out the paint effects, you are really just accelerating what would be normal wear and tear.  A file adds scratches.  Corners and raised edges will get the most attention.  Same with sandpaper.  whack it against the face of a hammer (do NOT whack the saber with the hammer).  attack it with scratchy things in your junk drawer, then use fine sandpaper to smooth down any rough bits. 

Paint is nice because it adds patina, but it does take practice and some skill to achieve an authentic looking finish.  So hold off on that.  There are some really good dry brushing videos out there, but I prefer authentic patinas.  I will be ordering some chemical aluminum darkener soon.

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »

Well, think of it this way: If you leave out the paint effects, you are really just accelerating what would be normal wear and tear.  A file adds scratches.  Corners and raised edges will get the most attention.  Same with sandpaper.  whack it against the face of a hammer (do NOT whack the saber with the hammer).  attack it with scratchy things in your junk drawer, then use fine sandpaper to smooth down any rough bits. 

Paint is nice because it adds patina, but it does take practice and some skill to achieve an authentic looking finish.  So hold off on that.  There are some really good dry brushing videos out there, but I prefer authentic patinas.  I will be ordering some chemical aluminum darkener soon.

But you can’t hit CTRL-Z to undo a mistake, or to put back material you wish you hadn’t removed; you have to get creative and figure out a way to work with whatever it looks like now.  I’ve had decades of experience telling me that even when I try VERY HARD to do things JUST SO, it won’t look the way I want it to.

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »

Updating a US Monarch to be an ancient/older looking hilt. Empty hilt show. Will update electronics next.

I will definitely be following this thread because not only do I have a dark monarch, but it is one of my favorite hilts.  I love what you have done so far.  Are the accent lights just pure asethics or will they actually light up?  Keep this posted with any and all updates.  May be I will get brave and try this on mine.  Great work so far brother!

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 01:56:33 AM »

I will definitely be following this thread because not only do I have a dark monarch, but it is one of my favorite hilts.  I love what you have done so far.  Are the accent lights just pure asethics or will they actually light up?  Keep this posted with any and all updates.  May be I will get brave and try this on mine.  Great work so far brother!

I added a new post with the finished photo and short video (Ancient Monarch Finished Plus Video). The jewel is only aesthetic.

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

Jedi Skallagrimsson
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 12

An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »

This looks fantastic, great job!

Saber Arsenal:
Dark Initiate LE V5 (SRD), 2X Prophecy V3 (AB/VA), Dark Monarch (CG), Graflex CE (AB), Spectre (GB), Initiate V3 (AB), 2X Consular (CG/GB), Dark Catalyst  (CG), Manticore (VA/SRD), 2X Apprentice LE V5 (Staff)(SY), Archon V3.1 (CG), Dark Princess (VA), Dark Apprentice V4 (SRD)

richmbailey
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »

Not sure if I posted the final product. Here is a quick video of the finished hilt.

https://youtu.be/l5yIhu2i_FU

Flamberge (BR) Stunt

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »

That Monarch is FANTASTIC! I really like the finished product. Like Cyclops said, I would never have the guts or the skill to do that myself. Very nice indeed.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 07:39:56 AM »

It's getting better and better! Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Gray Jedi Ret Soref
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 5

Guardian of Balance

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 04:55:06 PM »

Not sure if I posted the final product. Here is a quick video of the finished hilt.

https://youtu.be/l5yIhu2i_FU

Gorgeous.  Also I LOVE that sound font. Great work!

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »

Nothing crafty...

Point! My feelings exactly xD

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Pages: [1]   Go Up