Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Removing the shrouds on the Fallen - how?  (Read 815 times)
BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« on: September 05, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »

So, I finally got up the nerve to pull the shrouds off my Fallen (battle ready emitter), and I can't get the glued-in covers off.  I guess they were getting to many people complaining that they came off on their own?  I worked on them with a mechanic's pick, but didn't get anywhere.  Obviously, I'd rather not damage them.  Anyone have suggestions?  Does something dissolve super glue without bothering Aluminum?

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »

The guarded switch is press fit, and sometimes has a dab of hotglue inside to make it really nice and secure. Using a hairdryer or a paint remover melts the glue a bit so you can remove it a bit better.

I guess that this technique might work on the Fallen covers as well?

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Scrapper

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 03:47:54 PM »

The guarded switch is press fit, and sometimes has a dab of hotglue inside to make it really nice and secure. Using a hairdryer or a paint remover melts the glue a bit so you can remove it a bit better.

I guess that this technique might work on the Fallen covers as well?

It's worth a shot, though i think these are held on with super glue, based on the residue around the edges.

Mine:
Son's:

Fatalis
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 60

Good..Bad...I'm the guy with the saber!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »

So, I finally got up the nerve to pull the shrouds off my Fallen (battle ready emitter), and I can't get the glued-in covers off.  I guess they were getting to many people complaining that they came off on their own?  I worked on them with a mechanic's pick, but didn't get anywhere.  Obviously, I'd rather not damage them.  Anyone have suggestions?  Does something dissolve super glue without bothering Aluminum?

I recently had to do this to secure the two screws underneath. I used a standard hair dryer on low heat on the center cover for about 1-2 minutes. I then used a small dental pick right under the top of the cover and it popped off. Now, I am the second owner of that saber, and not sure if they used some other glue before me, but it was really easy. I didn't have to take off the other one, so not really sure is that side was the same glue.  Hope that helps!

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Scrapper

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »

I recently had to do this to secure the two screws underneath. I used a standard hair dryer on low heat on the center cover for about 1-2 minutes. I then used a small dental pick right under the top of the cover and it popped off. Now, I am the second owner of that saber, and not sure if they used some other glue before me, but it was really easy. I didn't have to take off the other one, so not really sure is that side was the same glue.  Hope that helps!

Huh.  I didn't even think about heat.  That probably would have been easier.  I ended up soaking the emitter in Acetone overnight, and then was able to coax them off.

Mine:
Son's:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: