Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Sentinel v4: First attempt at weathering  (Read 742 times)
Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 16

I Wanna the Hero but the Villains having more fun

« on: September 06, 2020, 06:12:43 AM »

So this is my first attempt to weather a saber. Started with the inexpensive Dark Apprentice v4 that I received as a Grab Bag saber.

I think it turned out well.

It has a green blade, so I am not so sure what to think of a Consular who walks in carrying this.

Here is link if photo doesn't work. https://imgur.com/a/p1G7Ei7

Love to have some feedback. I doubt this is the final product for this hilt, but I am not sure what I going to subject it to next.

Newly Obsessed with Sabers
Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

I need to stop. Or, ya know, win the lottery.

Wish List: Too long to be placed here.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »

Here you go.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »

So this is my first attempt to weather a saber. Started with the inexpensive Dark Apprentice v4 that I received as a Grab Bag saber.

I think it turned out well.

It has a green blade, so I am not so sure what to think of a Consular who walks in carrying this.

Here is link if photo doesn't work. https://imgur.com/a/p1G7Ei7

Love to have some feedback. I doubt this is the final product for this hilt, but I am not sure what I going to subject it to next.

Looks great! For your next step have you seen what some people have done by actually exposing the LED chamber? It takes a bit of work but the result when the saber is illuminated is a glowing crack or gash that looks like severe battle damage.

Like this:

and

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_SlOVhu5U&amp;feature=emb_logo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_SlOVhu5U&amp;feature=emb_logo</a>

I used a Google search to find both results, probably would have taken forever to sift through the Customization topics to find them. There's another one that  I recall that had a green blade and looked as if it had been through a Death Star explosion but I couldn't locate it. That has always been one of my favorites, I'll post it up if I can spot it.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »

First, I apologize for getting the saber wrong, it is a Dark Apprentice v4, not a Dark Sentinel v4. I know some folks find such mistakes annoying.

Second, Thanks for helping with the picture. I am still figuring out the imgur thing, it is a work in progress.

Third, I was considering the exposed LED chamber, but I am weighing the ways to do it. Likely need to drill it out then add blast/shatter lines. I have seen it on some and it looks nice, but I would like it to look right...  an actual impact rather than a hacksaw cut drill hole. You can see a sort of X mark where I had intended to start, but wasn't certain on the tools at the time.

I have a large selection of tools, but I am not used to dealing with aluminum so thought it best to procede carefully.

Oh and as to what was used already: Various Sandpaper (60 to 320 grit), a Metal File, and a hacksaw blade

Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »

First, I apologize for getting the saber wrong, it is a Dark Apprentice v4, not a Dark Sentinel v4. I know some folks find such mistakes annoying.

Second, Thanks for helping with the picture. I am still figuring out the imgur thing, it is a work in progress.

Third, I was considering the exposed LED chamber, but I am weighing the ways to do it. Likely need to drill it out then add blast/shatter lines. I have seen it on some and it looks nice, but I would like it to look right...  an actual impact rather than a hacksaw cut drill hole. You can see a sort of X mark where I had intended to start, but wasn't certain on the tools at the time.

I have a large selection of tools, but I am not used to dealing with aluminum so thought it best to procede carefully.

Oh and as to what was used already: Various Sandpaper (60 to 320 grit), a Metal File, and a hacksaw blade

Yeah taking your time is the way to go if you are just getting into weathering. Great thing about theses forums is loads of people have tried various techniques so you can benefit from all the knowledge stored here. 

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 02:02:53 AM »

bold work…pointage

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »

So the spot I selected for the emitter exposure is too far down the hilt. I would be making a hole below the LED. So I will need to do something else.
As a compromise I have made that spot a nice (IMHO) battle scar and added some florescent yellow paint to the scar to simulate a kind of weird acid burn. Still waiting for the paint to dry before snapping pics, but I will post something.

With the amount that I have scuffed up this hilt, I don't really want to do the emitter exposure. Not for this one anyway, I like it the way it is.

I need to order a couple more grab bags so I have a couple low cost hilts to experiment with.

Also I am working on a back story for the saber. I have a difficult time believing a Consular's Saber would ever get that scuffed without a repair or a replacement unless bad stuff was happening. Jedi are professional people and they look after their tools, so this thing has to have seen some serious mileage. I know that saber crafting is personal and the sabers have emotional attachments for the user, but there needs to be (if only for my own sake) a reason for one to be so damaged and not have something done about it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: