Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battle ready Fallen fin issue  (Read 551 times)
Fatalis
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 60

Good..Bad...I'm the guy with the saber!

« on: September 14, 2020, 08:40:02 PM »

Got my fallen in the mail today and one of the fins is loose. How do I remove the black cover to tighten the screws?

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 11:03:10 PM »

Got my fallen in the mail today and one of the fins is loose. How do I remove the black cover to tighten the screws?

The covers are glued on.  Apply some heat to loosen the glue and carefully pry them off with a flat tool.  That should get you access.   I believe the best "heat gun" to use is a common hair dryer on high or medium setting.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »

I had the same issue, and used the same method as infinite01 recommended.  Don't rush it, heat it well, but be prepared for your other trim pieces to loosen as well.  Do it over a towel or other soft surface so your trim piece doesn't fall onto the concrete floor and get chipped. 

Don't ask how I know that.

As the hate ceased flowing through me, I tightened the screws and cleaned the glue off the pieces.  Some clear Gorilla glue worked amazing to get them back on.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Fatalis
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 60

Good..Bad...I'm the guy with the saber!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »

The covers are glued on.  Apply some heat to loosen the glue and carefully pry them off with a flat tool.  That should get you access.   I believe the best "heat gun" to use is a common hair dryer on high or medium setting.
I had the same issue, and used the same method as infinite01 recommended.  Don't rush it, heat it well, but be prepared for your other trim pieces to loosen as well.  Do it over a towel or other soft surface so your trim piece doesn't fall onto the concrete floor and get chipped.  

Don't ask how I know that.

As the hate ceased flowing through me, I tightened the screws and cleaned the glue off the pieces.  Some clear Gorilla glue worked amazing to get them back on.

Thanks guys. I actually got it off rather easy with a dental pick and the hairdryer. No scratches at that point. I then took that fin section apart cleaned it well and then used loctite to secure the screws. To glue down the cap I used the wifes e6000. I don't plan on dueling with it, so hopefully while mildly swinging it around the other won't pop off. We will see!

Pic posted on the gallery side btw.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:53:45 PM »

Thanks guys. I actually got it off rather easy with a dental pick and the hairdryer. No scratches at that point. I then took that fin section apart cleaned it well and then used loctite to secure the screws. To glue down the cap I used the wifes e6000. I don't plan on dueling with it, so hopefully while mildly swinging it around the other won't pop off. We will see!

Pic posted on the gallery side btw.

Excellent!  Dental pick!   Good idea!   (writes that one down...)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »

Good job and happy sabering!

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: