Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Fallen - Shroud modification and weathering  (Read 1460 times)
BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« on: September 19, 2020, 09:39:33 PM »

There had been some interest in this mod, and others have done it before me, but I thought I'd post some process images.  The following modification will bring the shrouds in closer to the emitter for less of a tie-fighter look, and to bring it closer to the proportions of the Jaro Tapal saber.
This is a work in progress, as I plan to add copper foil to the thinnest part of the neck, as per the original, and eventually disassemble and weather the hilt body to match.  I'm using a chemical darkener, and don't want to risk getting anything into the electronics.

Disassembly was a PITA.  I guess they got too many complaints about the screw covers falling off, so they went the other way.  I had to soak my emitter in acetone overnight and even then they were difficult to remove.  Here you can see the original spacers, which are narrow, and about 1/4" thick

So I made some thinner spacers out of sections of copper pipe.  About 1/8" wall.

I moved the emitters up a bit to clear the lower ring, but also to reveal a little more of the narrow waist of the emitter.  I kept the original screw size of 6-32, which gets drilled out at 7/64. 

I used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to weather the emitter.  Here it is before going back in with steel wool to relieve it and take it down a bit.  I also hit all the screws with locktite. 

I can't wait to finish it up, but this was the main mod, so I thought I'd throw this out there.  Still tweaking it.  Might bring some of the brightwork between the shrouds back up a little, somewhere between full bright and full black.  I hadn't intended to get the quite so dark.

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

Fatalis
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 60

Good..Bad...I'm the guy with the saber!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »

WOW! Great work. As I just recieved mine this never occurred to me. I may need to consider this mod in the future.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:35:23 PM »

Hi BaliMawr,

Fatalis is right, great work on this modification, looks fantastic. It makes me wish I had access to a workspace and tools so I could make a few sabers, but I did make a 3D model of the Cal inspired hilt in Blender 3D!

Congrats again and a well earned point on the way to you.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »

The shrout came out beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
And I really like that weathered look.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Scrapper

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »

Finished!  Added copper to the neck of the emitter and added chemical weathering to the rest of the hilt body.  I still don't like the pommel, but I haven't come up with a great alternative.

Mine:
Son's:

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 07:57:12 AM »

You've got skills Baliwar!
I love that copper touch on the hilt.
Would you mind explaining how you did that?
And how does this chemical weathering work?

+1

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Scrapper

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »

You've got skills Baliwar!
I love that copper touch on the hilt.
Would you mind explaining how you did that?
And how does this chemical weathering work?

+1

Years of metalsmithing teaches you a few tricks, but this wasn't really that complicated.  The copper is a self-adhesive tape that is used to hold the tinning in stained-glass work.  I found it locally at Hobby Lobby, but it's available on Amazon as well.  The foil is bright, so I darkened it with Jax Flemmish grey-black for bronze and copper.  Jax is a great patina company with a focus on jewelry and sculpture, and I've used it to patina literally thousands of square feet of copper and bronze over the years.  They have an aluminum darkener, but the Birchwood Casey is made for gunsmithing, and is much more readily available, and a tad cheaper. 

The Process is the same for both, but the copper takes the patina much more easily and quickly than does the aluminum.  First, degrease.  I just used rubbing alcohol for this. but a household degreaser plus water rinse works well.  Then, just use an applicator such as a Q-tip, cotton ball, or cloth to rub the darkener quickly and vigorously into the surface to treat.  The Aluminum takes some rubbing.  After a few minutes, rinse with water, and dry.  For the hilt, I sealed the ends with pipe tape and just used a cloth soaked in water to neutralize the patina, as I didn't feel like disassembling the electronics.  It's difficult to get an even dark patina on the Aluminum, but that didn't matter so much here, as I knew I was going back to even it out with Scotch-Brite.  It's best practice to wear nitrile gloves and work in a well-ventilated area, but the fumes are not terribly noxious on either of these. 

Mine:
Son's:

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »

I'll reward some point tomorrow! Thanks for your time and energie to explain.
Now I need to find those things in the Netherlands. Might take a while, but thanks anyhow. I see a winter-project coming.

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »

Finished!  Added copper to the neck of the emitter and added chemical weathering to the rest of the hilt body.  I still don't like the pommel, but I haven't come up with a great alternative.

This looks fantastic... I'm gonna do this.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Scrapper

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »

I'll reward some point tomorrow! Thanks for your time and energie to explain.
Now I need to find those things in the Netherlands. Might take a while, but thanks anyhow. I see a winter-project coming.

I'm not sure how Amazon international works, but all of it is available on Amazon here.  I'd love to see results!

Mine:
Son's:

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »

That Aluminum Blackener looks like it works pretty well... how long does it take to dry?  Did you scuff the Aluminum with sandpaper or wire wheel?

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Scrapper

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »

That Aluminum Blackener looks like it works pretty well... how long does it take to dry?  Did you scuff the Aluminum with sandpaper or wire wheel?

It's a chemical reaction.  But yes, I forgot that step- just a little steel wool or Scotch-Brite to roughen the surface a bit, then apply the patina, and rub it in.  It will darken quickly, but not immediately.  It will do all that it's going to do in a minute or so, then you rinse it off.  If you require more coverage or darker results, repeat as necessary.  Then just dry off your rinse water, and it's done.  You could clear-coat it, but unlike paint, it's IN the surface, not ON it.  you can scratch it off an brighten it up with Scotch-Brite, but it won't just rub off.  If you leave it on to long, or apply too many coats, it will ablate, like green oxidation on copper,  so work in short time intervals and take baby steps. 

Mine:
Son's:

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »

Found a Dutch supplier for the aluminum black!

Thanks BaliMawr! These little explanations help alot.

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: