Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Crossguard Project  (Read 1180 times)
TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: September 26, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »

I am potentially starting a crossguard project. Depending on how this auction goes, I will have a Flamberge v2 with Obsidian v3 soundboard. My plan is to convert it to a neopixel with a proffie board. Does anyone have any tips on how to wire this as well as potentially some tutorial videos? I will be placing the Obsidian v3 into my Aeon stunt that I shared pictures of in Customization.

If not, I will just slowly buy all the parts that I need (most likely an empty Flamberge v2) and go from the ground up.
I'm not all concerned with a parts list, but more so the wiring as I have never put one together and would like to start doing my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »

All I can help you with are the wiring diagrams:

https://imgur.com/a/IipfCY2

Good luck on the build, please share your process, sounds interesting.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »

Well, lost the auction. However, I'm considering buying an empty hilt. I want to get a certain emitter from MHS for the side emitters, but it seems they come in silver, not black.

Does Ultrasabers actually paint their items black, then clear coat, or is it something like aluminum black with a gloss clear finish?

That will ultimately be the deciding factor. Could always just go chrome (though I want the v2 hilt) then do the aluminum black myself.

I'm not positive how black paint would really hold up to time. Benefit of the aluminum black: I can weather it.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:55:19 AM »

Well, lost the auction. However, I'm considering buying an empty hilt. I want to get a certain emitter from MHS for the side emitters, but it seems they come in silver, not black.

Does Ultrasabers actually paint their items black, then clear coat, or is it something like aluminum black with a gloss clear finish?

That will ultimately be the deciding factor. Could always just go chrome (though I want the v2 hilt) then do the aluminum black myself.

I'm not positive how black paint would really hold up to time. Benefit of the aluminum black: I can weather it.

Ultrasabers  anodize, it is not paint.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 02:40:15 PM »

Ultrasabers  anodize, it is not paint.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep that in mind for future reference. I decided to go with the Flamberge SE. Mocking up some ideas and will post some sketches in a bit.

I got a stunt Flamberge SE, so I'll atleast have LEDs in the meantime while I plan things out, not to mention extra LEDs after once they're taken out.

TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 04:37:30 PM »

Some pics of my plans. The yellow sticky note is a design to put on some shrouds I'd like to place on top of the side emitters.

The runes on the sides (admittedly I forgot to add one on the left) read:
(Left then right)
Better to fight and fall than live without hope

I'm going to use aluminum black to oxidize the whole thing and weather after etching. Then I'll use a dremel to polish off the edges of the shroud to make it weathered and more silver showing than black as well as the knotwork on it. When I do the etching for that, the aluminum black should cause it to have a dark outline that ill be keeping.

https://ibb.co/nw9nBny
https://ibb.co/SXJtHZ5
https://ibb.co/JkLVvmm
https://ibb.co/7nrb1GW

Thats the beginning plans. Hilt is purchased, so i sit and wait.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 10:53:29 PM »

Nice design. Getting the stunt serves to get you the MLS housings that saber needs anyway. The etching seems nice. In some cases it is common to put a small diamond or dot between words written in runes. It may make your horizontal text more easily readable. Does the rune around the switch carry a meaning?

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 03:33:09 AM »

Good point. I was considering that as well. Tomorrow I plan on seeing if I can write the words together as a bind rune, placing the left side of the sentence where the choke is circling the body (would most likely end up being multiple rings each.) Then placing the right side at the bottom of the body, just above the pommel. With a bind rune, there will be a line above and below the runes, basically putting a ring above and below.

I'll sketch this out in the morning. Then we can decide which looks more aestheyically pleasing.

The rune around the switch is "Othalla," which was the Norse symbol for "heritage and inheritance." In most cases when speaking spiritually, it means ancestral knowledge (accumulative intelligence passed on generation to generation). I see it as another way to connect the concept of the force in daily life (also gives a cool concept to the saber.)

Also wanting to add the rune "Algiz," the rune of divine protection. It is what got me on the norse teachings, as I found a random Algiz rune made of wood one day at the park and lived the symbol. Also would happen that, after having purchased a new car, there was a very tiny Algiz shaped scratch in the surface of my grill just under the hood.

I was thinking i may attach it to Othala, right below it, extending further down past the switch. Ill draw this up in the morning as well.

BaliMawr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

Scrapper

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 04:56:49 AM »

I'm going to use aluminum black to oxidize the whole thing and weather after etching. Then I'll use a dremel to polish off the edges of the shroud to make it weathered and more silver showing than black as well as the knotwork on it. When I do the etching for that, the aluminum black should cause it to have a dark outline that ill be keeping.

Have you used Aluminum black on large areas before?  I'm just asking, because it is not going to get you anywhere close to the coverage of paint or anodizing.  It does weathering beautifully, but just check your expectations on large areas of even black. 

Mine:
-Fallen w/BRE, Obsidian Lite sound, BVA
-Dark Catalyst, Stunt, AS
Son's:
-Dark Initiate LE V4, Stunt, FO (x2)

TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »

Have you used Aluminum black on large areas before?  I'm just asking, because it is not going to get you anywhere close to the coverage of paint or anodizing.  It does weathering beautifully, but just check your expectations on large areas of even black. 

I used it on the entirety of my Aeon v3. I know it isn't going to turn it solid black. I liked how easily the stuff came off when I sanded.

Do you have any recommendations then? Should I just anodized it, then work on weathering? I don't know anything about anodization.

TrienVer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 01:41:47 AM »

Quick update: Flamberge SE came in. Below is a link to an unboxing and second is a quick practice session.

This thing is a beast!

https://youtu.be/cP4RluiXcQw
https://youtu.be/iTMP6Y3vxog

Now that I have the Flamberge, I will be finalizing designs for the etching process.
Next weekend I'll be getting a dremel with some diamond burrs.

And i suppose if a mod happens to see this and could move it to "Customization," (where I probably should have started this in the first place) that would be appreciated!

I'll keep everyone updated as I make progress.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: