Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reviews of my saber arsenal -by Starflicker-  (Read 2031 times)
Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 09:27:19 PM »

Very impressive collection! 

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »

I've passed over the Archon more than once.   I think I have made a grave error in judgement....
I'm telling you, Karm, the Archon is just a fantastic saber, from the aesthetics to the handling (good choke points; important since I know that you actually duel  Wink), I would recommend this saber for ALL saber enthusiasts  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »

I'm telling you, Karm, the Archon is just a fantastic saber, from the aesthetics to the handling (good choke points; important since I know that you actually duel  Wink), I would recommend this saber for ALL saber enthusiasts  Smiley

Dutchman, I'm curious; how's the version 3 hold up to dueling with that thin neck vs. version 2?  I don't necessarily mean heavy dueling, but my kids and I use the collapsible Hasbro sabers hard enough to give a healthy WHACK sound, but not even close to damaging them.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »

Dutchman, I'm curious; how's the version 3 hold up to dueling with that thin neck vs. version 2?  I don't necessarily mean heavy dueling, but my kids and I use the collapsible Hasbro sabers hard enough to give a healthy WHACK sound, but not even close to damaging them.
Honestly?  I would suggest NOT dueling with the v3.1.  Yes, yes it CAN stand up to "light dueling" but the thin neck is still subject to physics I'm afraid.  To wit, I saw some pics where some members had used them for "light dueling" and the emitter neck ended up getting bent  Sad  Now, that's not to say that would happen to you given the above circumstances but I wanted to give you fair warning that the possibility exists.  That said...

IF you DO want to duel with your Archon, might I suggest that you purchase the v2.1 emitter separately (this might be tricky, especially as response times are a bit backlogged) and use that for when you do end up swordfighting  Smiley

Ultimately, my own Archon v3.1 looks fantastic on my belt and displayed on my wall (and waving it around at cons  Wink).  If ever I end up dueling, the Sentinel is the saber that I know can take the punishment  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 10:00:00 PM »

Yeah.   This is a hole in my arsenal that I need to consider plugging....    :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 10:07:29 PM »

Honestly?  I would suggest NOT dueling with the v3.1.  Yes, yes it CAN stand up to "light dueling" but the thin neck is still subject to physics I'm afraid.  To wit, I saw some pics where some members had used them for "light dueling" and the emitter neck ended up getting bent  Sad  Now, that's not to say that would happen to you given the above circumstances but I wanted to give you fair warning that the possibility exists.  That said...

IF you DO want to duel with your Archon, might I suggest that you purchase the v2.1 emitter separately (this might be tricky, especially as response times are a bit backlogged) and use that for when you do end up swordfighting  Smiley

Ultimately, my own Archon v3.1 looks fantastic on my belt and displayed on my wall (and waving it around at cons  Wink).  If ever I end up dueling, the Sentinel is the saber that I know can take the punishment  Smiley

I'll keep all that in mind.  Thanks and have a point!

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 16

I Wanna the Hero but the Villains having more fun

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 01:53:36 AM »

Bellicose Part One: Pictures

I now know that this is Arctic Blue with a slight greenish tint rather than Sunrider's Destiny like I previously thought.

This is to show where the screw to secure the blade plug is. This is a different size that the standard blade retention screw.

This is the Blade holder with a Circle Blade Plug

Since I do not wish to overload a single post, There should be a second set of pics below.

Newly Obsessed with Sabers
Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

I need to stop. Or, ya know, win the lottery.

Wish List: Too long to be placed here.

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 02:01:33 AM »

Bellicose Pictures Part 2: Color comparison

Archon v2.1 (See previous Posts) in Guardian Blue
Bellicose in Arctic Blue

This is Guardian Blue (Archon v2.1) next to Arctic Blue (Dominix v5) next to Arctic Blue (Bellicose)

This is Guardian Blue (Archon v2.1) next to Sunrider's Destiny (Dominix v5) next to Arctic Blue (Bellicose)

The Dominix v5 is a Diamond Saber which currently is Arctic Blue pulsing to Sunrider's Destiny and with Guardian Blue Flash on Clash. In the pictures it has a Standard Heavy Grade blade while the others have UltraEdge Blades. It will be reviewed at a later date.

Aeon v4 Windows BVA, Aeon v3 BR, Dark Initiate v2 BR, Archon v2.1 GB, Bellicose SRD, Aeon v2 GB, Initiate v3 GB, Dark Apprentice v4 Windows CG, Dominix v5 Diamond, Dark Apprentice v4 windows Staff Stunt AS, Dark Apprentice v5 Obsidian v4 CG with FO FoC, Azure Mantis GB Obsidian Lite

Starflicker
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 02:56:31 AM »

Bellicose

Stunt Configuration with an Arctic Blue 36" UltraEdge Midgrade Blade
Black Blade Holder and Red Button over a Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch
Short Groove Pommel and Covertec Wheel on the Left Side

First Impressions:
Big Saber. It is long with the extra slanted emitter and it is a wide body saber.
The Balance point is just at the end of the emitter in this configuration.
The Grooves allow for a decent grip for me but there is no convenient choke point for me.
It spins nicely but I find the red button tends to get in the way when I do it.
The covertec wheel is great for my right handedness but for two hand wielding it tends to fall within the palm of my hand on the lower grip.
Upon receipt of this saber I was disappointed. It was a mystery box and, of course, one hopes for sound, it is an 'inspired by' saber which has less appeal for me, the button and covertec wheel make it difficult to find a good grip and when it came the blade that was sent was both bent from shipping and not the blade ordered.
Odd Blade Color that I had initially thought to be SRD is a greenish hued AB

Reconsiderations:
Quite happy that it is a stunt, some of the sound options are not to my preference.
The Blade Color is still odd, but I like the look.
The additional blade holder part is an oddity to me. Not a bad thing, just odd. I could see having a spare to simply switch the holder rather than a full blade switch.
Between the width of the saber, the button and the covertec wheel, this is not a saber I would choose for daily use as either a spinning saber or a combat saber. I have no questions about the durability as combat saber, just the comfort.

Ramblings:
This saber is well above the value of the mystery box that I had ordered, so I am quite pleased with that and it is not a hilt I would consider purchasing for myself so it is really nice to have it in my arsenal. It is an attractive saber and I do like it.
Ultrasabers, after a slight communications delay, fixed the issue with the blade and sent me the 36" UltraEdge Heavy Grade that was ordered with it. Communication was slow but the issue was resolved satisfactorily.
I have found the covertec wheel to be different than that of the Archon v2.1. It is a very snug fit into my covertec belt clip (Purchased from the other guys because I preferred the alternate design). The Archon slips in easily without any real fear of it falling out but the Bellicose needs to be forced in.

As a saber to use, I cannot recommend this saber. It is purely my opinion, but I do not like it for common use.
The Bellicose is a beautiful piece and I would recommend it for display or for costumes where looks trump functionality.
Personally I love the look but the feel does not compare to other sabers in my arsenal for use.

My issues with the Bellicose (in no particular order) are:
- No convenient choke point. The lines on the hilt make it secure in my hand but there is no obvious place for me to hold. (This is possibly a reflection on myself rather than the saber)
- It is a wide hilt. I have large hands so I can manage it without serious complications, but a person with smaller hands could have trouble.
- The button and covertec wheel impede comfortable usage (yes, I know the covertec can be removed)
- I think that the length and the slanted emitter could be a slight danger in heavy contact situations, with potential to damage blades and people with the edge (It is not sharp, but it does protrude)

If you are considering a Bellicose, I recommend the A/V switch. It feels good to me and I like the clean look of the Silver one on my saber. This is a saber that balances the silver and black details very nicely, the addition of the button allows a couple other options, and I could see this saber as either a light side or dark side saber but in my opinion not a silver blade. I think any wielder of this hilt would be resolute enough to have chosen a side and woe to those who get in their way.

This is just my opinion and I have my own ideas of what I like so take the negative with that in mind.

May The Force Be With You.

MercuryKungFu
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 110

Let It All Go. Fear, Doubt, And Disbelief

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »

Bellicose Part One: Pictures

I now know that this is Arctic Blue with a slight greenish tint rather than Sunrider's Destiny like I previously thought.

This is to show where the screw to secure the blade plug is. This is a different size that the standard blade retention screw.

This is the Blade holder with a Circle Blade Plug

Since I do not wish to overload a single post, There should be a second set of pics below.

BAMF

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 01:07:42 AM »

I BEAT THE SNOT out of my Archon 3.1.... at one point I just kind of took it for granted that I was going to break or at least bend the thin neck. Nothing.  I was very surprised.  I did however sprain/dislocate my pinky.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: