Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sound Font Creation Issues  (Read 2500 times)
Dorvian
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: October 10, 2020, 09:48:12 PM »

Hey guys! So I've just started tinkering around trying to make my own sound fonts using Audacity with some help from old forum posts, and it was going really well until I imported my first file into the Launcher as one of the motion sounds. Whenever I play back the sound from the launcher, there's a weird "blip" noise (it's hard to describe) at the end which I have no idea how to get rid of. When I play back the file outside of the Launcher or in the Audacity app however, it sounds perfectly fine so it seems like some sort of issue with just the Launcher. I'm not sure if this is just an issue with the playback of the noise inside the Launcher and the actual sound file is untouched, or if the noise at the end transfers over to the lightsaber so the sound effect is ruined

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »

Can you upload the sound file? If you can make it available for me to download,  I'll try to help you. It is really hard to explain how to fix. It will be easier to just listen to the sound file myself and fix it for you. Then I can explain what I did to fix it.  Really, the best way to know if the sound is a problem is to load it to your saber and listen to it play.
 Swing and clash sounds are usually under one second.  That short of a sound doesn't play well through Audacity. You should play it from your saber to be positive.

You can also highlight the end of the sound file where the blip sound is. Then select fade out. It will reduce the sounds volume at the selected portion of the sound file.

Upload the sound file if you need me to fix it for you.

GuyWithTheCrossguard
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -7

"Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:48:14 PM »

It's most likely just a launcher glitch. I've encountered this with my own fonts, and despite what you may think, the blip noise will NOT transfer over to your saber. I'm not sure how font artists get rid of it, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter since it has no effect on your font once loaded and ready to use.

Best,
GWTC

Sabers:
Flamberge SE with Obsidian V4 in Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 with Obsidian Lite, also in Guardian Blue

Notable Non-US Sabers:
Hasbro Signature Series Luke (ROTJ)
Disney Store Kylo Ren

Wish List:
A vintage Graflex. Seriously.
Savi's Workshop Saber
A Saber built by me from scratch, like a true Jedi.

Dorvian
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 04:21:47 AM »

Can you upload the sound file? If you can make it available for me to download,  I'll try to help you. It is really hard to explain how to fix. It will be easier to just listen to the sound file myself and fix it for you. Then I can explain what I did to fix it.  Really, the best way to know if the sound is a problem is to load it to your saber and listen to it play.
 Swing and clash sounds are usually under one second.  That short of a sound doesn't play well through Audacity. You should play it from your saber to be positive.

Thanks for the offer! I was going to try to upload it to the saber first and see if the bug transfers over or not, but that brought a whole new set of problems that I wasn't familiar with before as I've just started using the software. I've been trying to adjust the memory banks to make room for a new sound font, since it's currently set to the defaults with no space left over, but that means I'll delete all the existing ones just to reformat the memory banks as far as I can tell (which is really annoying in my opinion). Also, I'm assuming there's no secret way to just delete a single sound font to open up some space without it deleting everything else.

I figured before I reformat it and it deletes all the existing fonts, I'll just back them up and reinsert them, but there's no way to download them after they've been applied. So then I downloaded the default sound fonts from the website, and tested it to see if the software would let me upload them. I went and looked at the files it gave me and they're all separate .lsu files, which I'm assuming means that I'll have to go back and recreate each sound font file by file.

However, I also looked into the files that come with the Obsidian Launcher after it's installed, and there are some .pfnt files with the appropriate sound font name that I assumed would open up that font in the Launcher, with everything dialed in and with no need for me to go in and individually upload dozens of .lsu files. However, when I go from the launcher and try to find these files, they don’t even show up as options, just the .lsu files that are all lumped together in the Sounds folder. It also doesn’t recognize .rar files (from a font I found online).
ALSO I really need the Silent font, but since it won’t let you download what’s already on the saber, I guess I’ll have to make my own.
So basically my plan of action is to go into the Launcher and recreate each font bit by bit with the dozens of .lsu files, then download those so they’re converted to the .pfnt files. Then I’ll reformat the memory, effectively deleting all the saved fonts just to free up that one space so I can try out the font I’m tinkering with.

Sorry about the avalanche of words but writing this helped me figure out the steps I have to take. If wrong about the file compatibilities and doing this in a crazy roundabout way or if I’m missing a critical piece of information about this new software I’m exploring, could you let me know? Clearly this is new to me and I’m struggling a bit lmao

Dorvian
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 04:23:28 AM »

It's most likely just a launcher glitch. I've encountered this with my own fonts, and despite what you may think, the blip noise will NOT transfer over to your saber. I'm not sure how font artists get rid of it, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter since it has no effect on your font once loaded and ready to use.

Awesome! I will definitely try that after I figure out how to free up some storage in a reasonable way (go look at my response to KaiserSosay lol)

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 04:38:01 AM »

Thanks for the offer! I was going to try to upload it to the saber first and see if the bug transfers over or not, but that brought a whole new set of problems that I wasn't familiar with before as I've just started using the software. I've been trying to adjust the memory banks to make room for a new sound font, since it's currently set to the defaults with no space left over, but that means I'll delete all the existing ones just to reformat the memory banks as far as I can tell (which is really annoying in my opinion). Also, I'm assuming there's no secret way to just delete a single sound font to open up some space without it deleting everything else.

I figured before I reformat it and it deletes all the existing fonts, I'll just back them up and reinsert them, but there's no way to download them after they've been applied. So then I downloaded the default sound fonts from the website, and tested it to see if the software would let me upload them. I went and looked at the files it gave me and they're all separate .lsu files, which I'm assuming means that I'll have to go back and recreate each sound font file by file.

However, I also looked into the files that come with the Obsidian Launcher after it's installed, and there are some .pfnt files with the appropriate sound font name that I assumed would open up that font in the Launcher, with everything dialed in and with no need for me to go in and individually upload dozens of .lsu files. However, when I go from the launcher and try to find these files, they don’t even show up as options, just the .lsu files that are all lumped together in the Sounds folder. It also doesn’t recognize .rar files (from a font I found online).
ALSO I really need the Silent font, but since it won’t let you download what’s already on the saber, I guess I’ll have to make my own.
So basically my plan of action is to go into the Launcher and recreate each font bit by bit with the dozens of .lsu files, then download those so they’re converted to the .pfnt files. Then I’ll reformat the memory, effectively deleting all the saved fonts just to free up that one space so I can try out the font I’m tinkering with.

Sorry about the avalanche of words but writing this helped me figure out the steps I have to take. If wrong about the file compatibilities and doing this in a crazy roundabout way or if I’m missing a critical piece of information about this new software I’m exploring, could you let me know? Clearly this is new to me and I’m struggling a bit lmao

.pfnt are for the diamond board. They will show up in the diamond editor only.

The .lsu  files are just sounds and can be loaded to the obsidian v3 or V4 boards. You could also use/load wav. Sound files. Both should work on the obsidian. I'm sorry I'm not really familiar with the obsidian boards. So I can't give you advice on saving and loading on that board.

Lsu files should work though! That is the important thing to take away.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »

Since we're on the topic.

Is there a way to hear/play the .lsu files outside of the launcher?

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »

Since we're on the topic.

Is there a way to hear/play the .lsu files outside of the launcher?

I just convert everything to a wav. file personally.  Here is a link to the lsu topic...

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=31669.0

Dorvian
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »

.pfnt are for the diamond board. They will show up in the diamond editor only.

The .lsu  files are just sounds and can be loaded to the obsidian v3 or V4 boards. You could also use/load wav. Sound files. Both should work on the obsidian. I'm sorry I'm not really familiar with the obsidian boards. So I can't give you advice on saving and loading on that board.

Lsu files should work though! That is the important thing to take away.

Ok, cool. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to save each of the soundfonts but I guess not haha

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 03:38:35 PM »

Thanks Kaiser!  Grin

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »

Ok, cool. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to save each of the soundfonts but I guess not haha

So once upon a time I had a obsidian v3 saber. It has been over a year since I had it. My memory about it is not the best. With the v3 I had to load the sound files to each sound slot on the saber. With the v4 I bought for a friend, i could load one font and leave all the rest as they were. It is possible to do. I just dont remember well enough to talk you through it.

Now a question for you. Do you have any lscfgx. files?
I found one of my old saves from the obsidian board and it is in the lscfgx. file format.  I "think" you can just load this one file and it will put sounds in all the corresponding spots. Try it out?

Here is a link to a Darth Sidious file...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aoFKNRPOZ5RFOrnLXaRCMetxu_GRUI1U/view?usp=drivesdk

I also found one for Ventress...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mn30C7pbWv4nZQs9XjS63YTP2_5whsec/view?usp=drivesdk

Dorvian
Force Sensitive

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »

So once upon a time I had a obsidian v3 saber. It has been over a year since I had it. My memory about it is not the best. With the v3 I had to load the sound files to each sound slot on the saber. With the v4 I bought for a friend, i could load one font and leave all the rest as they were. It is possible to do. I just dont remember well enough to talk you through it.

Now a question for you. Do you have any lscfgx. files?
I found one of my old saves from the obsidian board and it is in the lscfgx. file format.  I "think" you can just load this one file and it will put sounds in all the corresponding spots. Try it out?

I think that worked for me a couple times where I could click on the specific, empty memory bank that I wanted the sound font to be stored. However, I don't know if it works where it will just replace the sound font because I've tried that and it won't let me write to board, as I guess that bank has to be completely cleared of any existing data. Also, I'm not sure it will let me load multiple fonts to different banks at the same time, so it's a process having to reconnect my saber with each new sound font.

I believe the deal with the lscfgx. files is you have to create them yourself while already having all the sound files on your computer. I discovered that I'd save a soundfont I created and it would turn into an lscfgx. file, but if I moved even one .lsu file in there to a different location, it wouldn't know where to find it and I'd get an error. So I guess they more or less tell the software which sound files to put where to make a sound font, and only work on the computer they were created on with all the sounds already saved in a specific place.

At least that's what I've discovered but I could be wrong about everything I just said  XD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: