Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dominix LE v5 review  (Read 1359 times)
Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« on: November 01, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »

How goes it, friends and neighbors?

No video on this one; I didn't have time to set up and do one, but I was able to at least open up and check out this saber, which I ordered as a Christmas present for my brother. 

First, the backstory: I ordered this on June 23, and around week 7 of waiting, I was given the heads up that the hilt was on backorder; since I wasn't expecting to receive it until at least week 6, I took it in stride.  They told me it would be an estimated 3-5 more weeks.  So I waited until week 12 and emailed to check on it, and got the report that there were unforseen delays with a lot of hilts, and this was one of the ones affected.   After that, I checked in weekly; they were good about getting back to me quickly, and offered me alternatives to try and make things right.  But, since I had time on my side and really wanted this one, I opted to wait.  Finally, 17 weeks after ordering it, faith and patience were rewarded and it shipped out.

The short story: This is the last of eleven sabers I've ordered from Ultrasabers this year, and just like the previous ten, it's flawless.  No blemishes on the hilt, no imperfections on the blade, no faults in the electronics.  It's perfect.

The long story: Physically, it's identical to the Dominix V5, which in turn is the same as the Aeon V5s.  The difference is in the silver (or gold, depending on your tastes) rings on the hilt as well as the claws on the emitter and pommel.  The hilt is long enough to hold comfortably with two hands, yet the weight is light enough, and the hilt skinny enough, to handle with a one-handed grip.  To put it in perspective; my mother, who's in her mid-70s, was able to hold and swing it easily.  As far as spinning and twirling go, the claws on the emitter point downward,  and while they aren't sharp, they will rub against your hand as you spin if you grip the saber just under the emitter.   Gloves might not be a bad idea.  Or, a popular fix that I've seen on YouTube involves gently popping the claws off and turning them upside down so the points are up.

This particular saber was equipped with a 36" midgrade blade in Tri-cree green, with Obsidian v4 sound and charging port.  It was actually the hilt that I was going to order for myself as a Christmas gift before I saw The Fallen, but to be honest, I think I'll end up getting one of these eventually.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a decently priced hilt that has some flair to it, but want to save some money and not go with the premium sabers, you might want to give this one some consideration.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 12:51:02 AM »

Hi Jedi Phoenix

Congrats on a really nice saber! I was looking at getting one specced out the same as this but with a 32in blade and no RC port.

And the claw flip, well I'm proud to say I sorta came up with that as I discovered how the claws were attached to the emitter! (You can see here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=831.msg666009#msg666009)
So YouTubers....you're welcome  Cool

I hope your saber(s) serve you long and well!
point for sharing.

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:10:03 AM »

Hi Jedi Phoenix

Congrats on a really nice saber! I was looking at getting one specced out the same as this but with a 32in blade and no RC port.

And the claw flip, well I'm proud to say I sorta came up with that as I discovered how the claws were attached to the emitter! (You can see here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=831.msg666009#msg666009)
So YouTubers....you're welcome  Cool

I hope your saber(s) serve you long and well!
point for sharing.

I think a 32 inch blade will work just fine; my brother's a tall guy which is why i went with the 36 inch.   A 40 inch, however, would be a bit much, I think; the blade does not sit that deep into the hilt like I've heard it does with the Scorpion, for example, so you'd have a bit more weight up front than you might want.  Just my opinion, of course.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 01:21:17 AM »

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm 6ft and I have another hilt from elsewhere with a 1.5in blade socket with a 32in blade and that works well for me. I just need to scrape some funds together again to buy a Dominix (or Aeon).

I'm going back to admire that green blade again now.

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 01:40:53 AM »

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm 6ft and I have another hilt from elsewhere with a 1.5in blade socket with a 32in blade and that works well for me. I just need to scrape some funds together again to buy a Dominix (or Aeon).

I'm going back to admire that green blade again now.

That's the beauty of the Dominix and Aeon; the hilt is only $100.  The configuration that I got came to about $350, but that includes the charging port and slow charging cable; take that out of the equation and you're looking at only $275.  Go with regular green instead of Tri-cree and you reduce it a little more.  Hardly a budget buster, you just need to plan a little.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 12:47:56 AM »

Flipping the claws is definitely the way to go.  More comfortable AND imho it looks better.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 05:41:17 PM »

How goes it, friends and neighbors?

No video on this one; I didn't have time to set up and do one, but I was able to at least open up and check out this saber, which I ordered as a Christmas present for my brother.  

First, the backstory: I ordered this on June 23, and around week 7 of waiting, I was given the heads up that the hilt was on backorder; since I wasn't expecting to receive it until at least week 6, I took it in stride.  They told me it would be an estimated 3-5 more weeks.  So I waited until week 12 and emailed to check on it, and got the report that there were unforseen delays with a lot of hilts, and this was one of the ones affected.   After that, I checked in weekly; they were good about getting back to me quickly, and offered me alternatives to try and make things right.  But, since I had time on my side and really wanted this one, I opted to wait.  Finally, 17 weeks after ordering it, faith and patience were rewarded and it shipped out.

The short story: This is the last of eleven sabers I've ordered from Ultrasabers this year, and just like the previous ten, it's flawless.  No blemishes on the hilt, no imperfections on the blade, no faults in the electronics.  It's perfect.

The long story: Physically, it's identical to the Dominix V5, which in turn is the same as the Aeon V5s.  The difference is in the silver (or gold, depending on your tastes) rings on the hilt as well as the claws on the emitter and pommel.  The hilt is long enough to hold comfortably with two hands, yet the weight is light enough, and the hilt skinny enough, to handle with a one-handed grip.  To put it in perspective; my mother, who's in her mid-70s, was able to hold and swing it easily.  As far as spinning and twirling go, the claws on the emitter point downward,  and while they aren't sharp, they will rub against your hand as you spin if you grip the saber just under the emitter.   Gloves might not be a bad idea.  Or, a popular fix that I've seen on YouTube involves gently popping the claws off and turning them upside down so the points are up.

This particular saber was equipped with a 36" midgrade blade in Tri-cree green, with Obsidian v4 sound and charging port.  It was actually the hilt that I was going to order for myself as a Christmas gift before I saw The Fallen, but to be honest, I think I'll end up getting one of these eventually.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a decently priced hilt that has some flair to it, but want to save some money and not go with the premium sabers, you might want to give this one some consideration.

Nice review, JP^^

I agree that the v5 hilts are (in general) a good balance of form and function without breaking the bank (I bought a v5 Initiate for my wife).

I'd enjoy hearing more about your arsenal  Smiley

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »

Nice review, JP^^

I agree that the v5 hilts are (in general) a good balance of form and function without breaking the bank (I bought a v5 Initiate for my wife).

I'd enjoy hearing more about your arsenal  Smiley

Point!

I kept this particular review separate from my Arsenal thread because I'm not keeping it, but anyone who wants to check out my other video reviews can just follow the bread crumbs....http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=45749.msg775062#msg775062

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS: