Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 34494 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 11:52:23 PM »

Oh yeah, that belt and pouches should hold pretty much anything you throw on it/into them. If my craft foam/vinyl belts could withstand a saber and all sorts of crap then I have no doubt that tactical belt will work fine. It's designed for much heavier items after all.

Yeah the ability to create something specific to your costume is super appealing for a lot of costumers, the low cost is also a huge deal. To pick an example, all of the Jedi belts I've made cost something like $6 each for all the materials involved, even cheaper for the pouches. The thing with a lot of Jedi costume pieces is that in order to make something look really nice you typically have to spend quite a few pretty pennies in order to achieve that. I figured there had to be an inexpensive way to make items that also looked solid and realistic, and so that's what those tutorials were born out of. Haven't made a tutorial for a belt yet but that's on the to-do list.
Makes sense to me! Definitely sounds appealing to see the quality of the pouches at the price you can make them for. Even just looking around on some costume/cosplay/etc. sites and Etsy, it looks like it'd be VERY easy to spend a few to several hundred dollars on a full outfit if you're buying everything from people selling them all as actual Star Wars items. From the robes and tunics and all that to the gloves and boots and belt and accessories, I can totally see the huge appeal of making things look how you want without having to pay an ultra-premium not just for quality items, but specialty/custom items beyond that. Interesting to see how many options there are out there, and that it doesn't have to involve either spending tons of money or being insanely skilled at making things and clothes and whatnot. Thanks again!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 02:15:03 AM »

It is the Coofandy one on Amazon. I ordered the grey one in large. I'm ~5'-10" for reference. I think it's a good size for me. I sort of made the mistake of cutting one of the sleeves off partially inside the seam, which means the armhole is slightly larger on one arm than on the other, but it's not the end of the world, and it's not like a Jedi's outfit isn't susceptible to wear and tear over time. I definitely can't complain for the price ($31 with free Prime shipping).

Thought so! You're making me rethink my costume idea now that you shared this.

I am trying to create bracers, helmet, shoulder armor and other parts with eva foam for my idea

I'm desperately trying to find dimensions for the Lord Starkiller belt buckle with the switches on it. Anyone able to help?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 02:26:46 AM »

Thought so! You're making me rethink my costume idea now that you shared this.

I am trying to create bracers, helmet, shoulder armor and other parts with eva foam for my idea

I'm desperately trying to find dimensions for the Lord Starkiller belt buckle with the switches on it. Anyone able to help?
One like this one?

They list "7.2 x 14 x 1.94 cm" or "2.84 x 5.51 x 0.76 inches" which seems SUPER specific, so I doubt it's a generic estimate. Seems super specific and the seller seems to have a lot of 3D printed stuff, some of it seeming pretty intricate, so they seem to know what they're doing I' dassume.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ETK8NYC8S/lord-starkiller-style-belt-buckle

Apparently it's 3D printed.

If you're trying to find the actual dimensions of the switches and whatnot, that may be a little more difficult. I guess you could just print an image of it to scale and go from there? I have zero experience with foam and that sort of thing. Sounds like your idea is quite the challenge, but I'm sure it'll be amazing when it's done!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 02:42:35 AM »

omg! thanks…not sure how I missed that on his site?!? My Dark Apprentice build has both shrouds from Sedsti's shop and his stuff is legit! I am just trying to cut my teeth with EVA and thought this buckle could be a good starting project before I tackle the bigger projects. I think I'm going to mix the starkiller buckle with a kylo ren-esque obi over either the cardigan or the kylo ren inner tunic…can't quite decide. I also intend to find a decent turtleneck to use and create a neck seal using some weather stripping.

The results I'm trying to get should blend ideas from at least 3 Sith lords into one costume plus some original ideas…basically: iI'm uts

BTW you can get a full jedi or sith kit from shopdisney.com for about $180. They look rather spiffy in my opinion.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 03:01:01 AM »

omg! thanks…not sure how I missed that on his site?!? My Dark Apprentice build has both shrouds from Sedsti's shop and his stuff is legit! I am just trying to cut my teeth with EVA and thought this buckle could be a good starting project before I tackle the bigger projects. I think I'm going to mix the starkiller buckle with a kylo ren-esque obi over either the cardigan or the kylo ren inner tunic…can't quite decide. I also intend to find a decent turtleneck to use and create a neck seal using some weather stripping.

The results I'm trying to get should blend ideas from at least 3 Sith lords into one costume plus some original ideas…basically: iI'm uts

BTW you can get a full jedi or sith kit from shopdisney.com for about $180. They look rather spiffy in my opinion.

Happy to help!

I think I get what you're going for, should be sweet once it's done. As amazing as established designs and cosplays can be when done well, and as many ready-to-wear options there are, I feel like there's something special about unique/custom outfits.

Thanks for the heads up on the Disney option, they do look pretty legit, both on their site and from some reviews/photos I've seen of people who bought them.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »

The belt and round carabiner to replace the belt clip came in today! VERY pleased with how it fits,functions, and looks for $24 total.

I'm currently waiting on grey canvas forearm wraps, and considering getting 1-2 belt pouches. I'm honestly not even sure if I want/need a grey obi under the belt or not.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »

costume's evolving nicely!

started work on my starkiller buckle as well…EVA is not as simplle as it looks :-S

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 11:12:28 PM »

costume's evolving nicely!

started work on my starkiller buckle as well…EVA is not as simplle as it looks :-S
Thanks! Good luck with the EVA. I'm sure it's challenging, but I'd imagine once you get the hang of it, it'll open up a ton of possibilities for custom work and cost savings.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 11:52:21 PM »

I also switched the carabiner that held the chucks with another circular carabiner identical to the one serving as the belt loop. No idea why I didn't do that earlier, as the larger diameter allows me to "sheathe" and "unsheathe" the chucks without having to undo the clip, as it's large enough to allow the chucks to pass through it. It also looks less out of place when not being used, as it's now just another silver ring identical to the belt "buckle," and not obviously a carabiner.

So now that the belt passes the form and function test, I guess it's time to try out a pouch. Making one would look nicer than what I could get for the same price, but I don't think I want to make anything for this outfit, just plug and play and maybe replacing parts here and there (like the clip on the belt for the ring). Maybe just one pouch on the side opposite the chuck/saber holder. I'm thinking something cheap/plain but still large enough to hold a phone or wallet, like one of these:

Other than that, just waiting on the grey forearm wraps (shown towards the back):

and a grey obi. Although the more I think about it, perhaps a pouch that's longer as opposed to taller would look less obtrusive on the belt, while still allowing for a phone or wallet to be stored in it.

That should likely complete the outfit, at least until I think of something else, and until I get the saberstaff in, and may change some things up for that!

All told, I'm looking at:

Long Cardigan (- sleeves): $32
Thai Fisherman Pants: $15 (already had these, so functionally $0)
Turtleneck Compression Shirt: $20 (maybe more depending on the brand, but I also already had this, so functionally $0)
Tactical Utility Belt with Circular Carabiner and saber carabiner: $24 total
Canvas Forearm Wraps (not pictured): $11
Grey Obi (not pictured): $15

TOTAL: $117 (or $82 for me, since I already had a few things)

I also already had the boots, which I'd imagine would be one of the pricier pieces to buy new, but since I'm not tucking the pants into them, and they're pretty baggy, and black pair of boots should suffice for this sort of look.

I figure I could also just wear the fisherman pants and forearm wraps without the cardigan and compression shirt for a more minimal "martial artist" look if I don't feel like having multiple layers.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 03:15:27 AM »

…most impressive!! The overall look  is quite effective

I have most of my starkiler buckle cut out and ready to assemble. Howver, my lack of basic geometry understtanding is slowing me down. I want the switches to look like switches and nt rectangles andcan't tquite get it figurd out…pics soon

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 03:33:29 AM »

…most impressive!! The overall look  is quite effective

I have most of my starkiler buckle cut out and ready to assemble. Howver, my lack of basic geometry understtanding is slowing me down. I want the switches to look like switches and nt rectangles andcan't tquite get it figurd out…pics soon
Definitely will make sure to check in on your progress. I have zero experience with that sort of thing, but if I had to guess at a way to get the switches to have that 3D dimension of being switches and not just rectangles, and didn't have a ton of easy to work with material, you could maybe just try two lego triangle/sloped pieces facing each other to replicate a switch, with some smooth/flat pieces to cover the raised parts that are used to attach lego pieces to each other. Then paint them whatever color you wanted.

Something like two of these (or the ones that are only half as thick/wide):

Covering the top parts with these:

But I have ZERO idea if they're the right size, or how you'd get flat pieces to sit flush with a slightly rounded buckle, or if they're even close to the right size (length and/or width wise).

Or maybe that is totally off base. I have no idea haha.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2020, 03:33:10 PM »

Here's the belt assembled. Just used some hot glue (didn't want to break out the Barge contact cement yet).

I have to heat seal this and then prime it with some plasti-dip before painting.....

As you can see, I have given up on the beveled switches....I was ruining a lot of foam that way...lol.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 03:48:22 PM »

Here's the belt assembled. Just used some hot glue (didn't want to break out the Barge contact cement yet).

I have to heat seal this and then prime it with some plasti-dip before painting.....

As you can see, I have given up on the beveled switches....I was ruining a lot of foam that way...lol.
I think it's coming along nicely. Do you happen to have dimensions for each of the rectangular switches, the length (top to bottom) and width (side to side)? Either way, I have a feeling that from more than a foot or two away tops no one will really be able to tell that the switches aren't technically switch-shaped. But I do get wanting to make it as nice and accurate as possible too, if only for yourself.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »

I think I may just try and remedy this with some painting and maybe add some details like scoring or such that will make it a little more switch looking. It's a good piece to just learn with. I'm sure the heat gun will smooth some areas out a little....we shall see.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »

I think I may just try and remedy this with some painting and maybe add some details like scoring or such that will make it a little more switch looking. It's a good piece to just learn with. I'm sure the heat gun will smooth some areas out a little....we shall see.

I think it'll look great. Definitely great for learning, but I still think it should be VERY usable. If you're having trouble visualizing what the switches should look like in 3D, the belt buckle discussed earlier has an option to view/rotate it in 3D, not sure if that would help you to shape them, if that's something you were still interested in trying.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: