Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35482 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:46 PM »

I see that it has 2 sections before you get to the elbow protection, then the forearm.

If you put the Temple Guard symbol on your shoulder, but it still looks barren afterward; you could consider using this in the next section:

It's technically the planetary symbol for Earth, so it would distinguish you as a guardian of this particular planet in essence... Kind of cool for anyone who'd know or basically easily explained in that light. The irony would be if in a psychological warfare aspect it makes opponents tend toward that target zone more because of the subconscious connection to crosshairs... You could always throw your arubesh characters for balance on the forearm if so desired as well. I mean you have tons of possibilities. A lot of blank canvas anyway depending on what you choose. You'll certainly look the part of heavily armored at any rate, and I like the Red Dragon gorget because that signifies some savage imagery. As a Sith I'd leave it! haha

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2021, 09:12:56 PM »

I see that it has 2 sections before you get to the elbow protection, then the forearm.

If you put the Temple Guard symbol on your shoulder, but it still looks barren afterward; you could consider using this in the next section:

It's technically the planetary symbol for Earth, so it would distinguish you as a guardian of this particular planet in essence... Kind of cool for anyone who'd know or basically easily explained in that light. The irony would be if in a psychological warfare aspect it makes opponents tend toward that target zone more because of the subconscious connection to crosshairs... You could always throw your arubesh characters for balance on the forearm if so desired as well. I mean you have tons of possibilities. A lot of blank canvas anyway depending on what you choose. You'll certainly look the part of heavily armored at any rate, and I like the Red Dragon gorget because that signifies some savage imagery. As a Sith I'd leave it! haha

Man, now you're really making me want to pick up the arm armor. What if I put "BALANCE" on the forearm, the Grey Jedi Symbol on the elbows, and the Temple Guard symbol on the shoulders? Almost like an evolution, from Jedi Temple Guard, to nothing (if I leave the upper arm plate blank), to Grey Jedi, to "Balance." Or, if not from my actual background, but having the second stage even be a Sith symbol could illustrate the transition from disillusionment with the Jedi, to swinging to the other extreme of the Sith, then back to the middle with the Grey Jedi, and to balance. I suppose that leaving the second one blank can still work, just going from a Jedi to no affiliation at all, then to a Grey Jedi, but having a symbol on all the parts may be coolest.

Excuse the blurriness of the characters, and the not prefect sizing, but something like this could be pretty cool I'd think.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2021, 10:15:03 PM »

I'm glad to have gotten the gears turning, I like the thought process being like a totem pole in telling a story... You know I enjoy armor or outfits with imbedded meaning so that is a good way to personalize it and elude to the path traveled. A different way to give your armor history, or show the relative separation from a typical knight of the order.

Also if you do incorporate a Sith symbol there are various ones depending on the time period you're associating with (at least according to old lore and EU legends, since obviously I like to incorporate whatever is preferred) though you may have already known that.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »

I'm glad to have gotten the gears turning, I like the thought process being like a totem pole in telling a story... You know I enjoy armor or outfits with imbedded meaning so that is a good way to personalize it and elude to the path traveled. A different way to give your armor history, or show the relative separation from a typical knight of the order.

Also if you do incorporate a Sith symbol there are various ones depending on the time period you're associating with (at least according to old lore and EU legends, since obviously I like to incorporate whatever is preferred) though you may have already known that.
Good call on the time period. I suppose that I can always pick a Sith symbol so long as it existed with or before the Temple Guard logo, as it could at least be argued that, if I picked an older Sith symbol, it was because something about that particular era or group of Sith resonated with me. And considering that the Jedi Temple Guards had the logo I'm using as recently as when Anakin was a Jedi, if not more recent than that. So I can pick any ancient Sith symbol if I feel it resonates with me for some reason or another. I guess I should delve into the meaning behind each one.

From what I'm reading:

This one is sometimes said to be the "original" Sith symbol, or from the Banite order:

This one being the Sith Empire symbol (pre-hyperspace war):

Revan's symbol, or the Revanchist symbol (updated for the proper logo, which shows the Star Forge shape):

The Sith Empire symbol (post-hyperspace war):

Then of course the Galactic Empire symbol (which was ran by Sith, but not really openly Sith):

I don't want to go with the Galactic Empire symbol, both because I'd prefer a less common symbol, and also because I don't think that it represents what my character would leave the Jedi for. Probably a similar boat with the very similar symbol from the Old Republic era Sith, as I don't think their ideology resonates what what I'm going for either, although I suppose I could be wrong?

The Revanchist symbol is apparently also the symbol of the Rakatan Infinite Empire, which is why Revan adopted it as his own. That could be a good one, as it started out of Revan's desire to act for what he thought was right, against the orders of the Jedi Order. So not a hunger for power initially like some Sith, but action out of felt necessity leading potentially to power and corruption by said power. Before coming back to the Grey Jedi and balance after that.

So I guess it's the Original Sith, the Sith Era after that, or the Revanchist. I don't really know what the first two stand for in as much detail as the Revan symbol though.

The original Sith symbol appears in the Book of Sith at the very start of Sidious' "Absolute Power." Possibly indicative of him wanting to restore the Sith to power and to pull from their long (lost) history?

Thoughts on which one would make the most sense for my character, and also which would look the best with the rest of the arms?

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2021, 01:47:31 AM »

Design with Revan Sith symbol:

Design with Original Sith symbol:

I'm thinking the more circular design of the Revan symbol may fit the visual theme better, with all three symbols having a predominantly circular design.

And the evolution makes sense. From Jedi Temple Guard to becoming disillusioned with the Order for their inaction, or more accurately, their dogma which often leads to inaction and mis-action, leading to finding a sort of kinship with the legend of Revan and how he abandoned the Jedi to take action when it was necessary, even if it has a cost, before settling into a Grey Jedi role, after learning to better control the dark, and realizing that sometimes it is not possible for one man to save the entire world or galaxy, and that sometimes an "ends justify the means" approach can spiral out of control. And that to conquer oneself and find balance and oneness in the force, not the light side or the dark side, is perhaps a far more challenging endeavor than conquering or saving planets.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2021, 01:49:58 AM »

Yes, my long laid out plans come to fruition as he descends into Dark Side research... yes yes.

No, I find this an adequate thought process of legitimate considerations. It's a good inquiry. I would ask you how/why in detail or specifically would lead you to disagree with the order fundamentally and there you would have your answer... but I feel I know enough of this from previous conversations and comments. Also in part you eluded to aspects already.

In my estimation you don't simply crave power, nor are you of a tendency to adopt or bow to pure cruelty or tyranny. You'd be less prone to "be evil for the sake of evil", corrupt your ideals, or sow destruction simply walking some dark path on a whim or light urging. Thus I'd rule out Ancient Sith, the Empire (of ep 4-7), or anything like original/banite order in their implications. You don't really embody the "might makes right" or ruling through an iron fist seeking the greater good. You're not conceptually "my might gives the authority for rule" kind of person.

The Pre hyperspace war Sith could be argued for since they became influenced by Dark Jedi outcasts/exiles from the order especially since they held heretical views, similarly the post hyperspace war logo also fits to an extent since they were more cautious and less likely/willing to engage in "full on conflict" to destroy the order having learned from the most recent ordeal... It would be up to you if these imply manifest destiny or consolidation of power toward self serving ends too greatly for your tastes, though they are more recognizably Sith. Although to a certain extent they did value seeking more rounded views of the Force, by not ignoring the Dark Side. And seeking greater depths of ability than pure light side ideological adherence allowed. Your desire to seek out and learn various weapon styles, or train in ways/to extremes the Order might find unsettling or potentially too combative for their tastes does fall similarly/allowably into shades of their thinking perhaps... similar in respects to Dooku.

Though you may have stated it best yourself and I'm almost prone to agree, if anything you'd have fallen more ideologically in line with Revanchist thinking... Chafing against the order for seemingly understandable reasons and potentially philosophically noble pursuits. Torn between guarding the order physically or more so ideologically, standing for something you believe in... I could see you being swayed by such logic, and not being "afraid" to take up a lightsaber for a cause, even willing to engage in savage combat for the greater good of the galaxy or republic. Even if not a true participant, then simply wearing it as an ideological stance/statement (although being a war survivor would explain the spear) finding out about that history could simply have influenced you nearer to the way of thinking that "Jedi inaction" is too similar to apathy or allowing events to be worse without intervention. It's slightly less recognizable as Sith, and I have no clue where it falls in canon currently; but I'd probably call it the best fit for any persona you'd choose (since you could always cosplay different era grey jedi). The Revanchist was polarizing, not to mention admirable in nature, so a good reason to be more grey in response or after learning it's history.

I'd say those are the best options for you philosophically, and falling in line with your Grey Jedi leanings. But ultimately whatever resonates with you most, calls to you thematically, or is your best rationalization will fall in line with your persona best. It's your story, path, and thought process to play out. You'll be the one who really sells the concept in the end, so the decision is ultimately yours to make.

You're comfortable enough with aspects of the Dark Side, so now it's more about defining that comfort zone... If you go into a cave revealing your darkest self, which order of Sith will the one facing you belong to? Then how far from his shadow would you return to the light, if at all?

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2021, 02:12:40 AM »

Response bolded in quote:
Yes, my long laid out plans come to fruition as he descends into Dark Side research... yes yes.
I do have the Book of Sith on my shelf right next to the Jedi Path. And the Art of War and the Tao Te Ching.

No, I find this an adequate thought process of legitimate considerations. It's a good inquiry. I would ask you how/why in detail or specifically would lead you to disagree with the order fundamentally and there you would have your answer... but I feel I know enough of this from previous conversations and comments. Also in part you eluded to aspects already.

In my estimation you don't simply crave power, nor are you of a tendency to adopt or bow to pure cruelty or tyranny. You'd be less prone to "be evil for the sake of evil", corrupt your ideals, or sow destruction simply walking some dark path on a whim or light urging. Thus I'd rule out Ancient Sith, the Empire (of ep 4-7), or anything like original/banite order in their implications. You don't really embody the "might makes right" or ruling through an iron fist seeking the greater good. You're not conceptually "my might gives the authority for rule" kind of person.
This is correct. Power is a tool, and it is the use of power that makes it good or evil. I think the Buddhists have a concept of "right motivation" or "right intention" that, and I hope I'm not butchering this, is about not only the right actions, but the right desires and motivation behind said actions. In everyday terms, if I am nice to you with the motivation of a reward from you in the future, that is not truly a god act. In terms of a Jedi or Sith, it could be making a preemptive strike on someone or a small group of people to save a planet.

The Pre hyperspace war Sith could be argued for since they became influenced by Dark Jedi outcasts/exiles from the order especially since they held heretical views, similarly the post hyperspace war logo also fits to an extent since they were more cautious and less likely/willing to engage in "full on conflict" to destroy the order having learned from the most recent ordeal... It would be up to you if these imply manifest destiny or consolidation of power toward self serving ends too greatly for your tastes, though they are more recognizably Sith. Although to a certain extent they did value seeking more rounded views of the Force, by not ignoring the Dark Side. And seeking greater depths of ability than pure light side ideological adherence allowed. Your desire to seek out and learn various weapon styles, or train in ways/to extremes the Order might find unsettling or potentially too combative for their tastes does fall similarly/allowably into shades of their thinking perhaps... similar in respects to Dooku.

Though you may have stated it best yourself and I'm almost prone to agree, if anything you'd have fallen more ideologically in line with Revanchist thinking... Chafing against the order for seemingly understandable reasons and potentially philosophically noble pursuits. Torn between guarding the order physically or more so ideologically, standing for something you believe in... I could see you being swayed by such logic, and not being "afraid" to take up a lightsaber for a cause, even willing to engage in savage combat for the greater good of the galaxy or republic. Even if not a true participant, then simply wearing it as an ideological stance/statement (although being a war survivor would explain the spear) finding out about that history could simply have influenced you nearer to the way of thinking that "Jedi inaction" is too similar to apathy or allowing events to be worse without intervention. It's slightly less recognizable as Sith, and I have no clue where it falls in canon currently; but I'd probably call it the best fit for any persona you'd choose (since you could always cosplay different era grey jedi). The Revanchist was polarizing, not to mention admirable in nature, so a good reason to be more grey in response or after learning it's history.
This makes sense to me. Thank you.

I'd say those are the best options for you philosophically, and falling in line with your Grey Jedi leanings. But ultimately whatever resonates with you most, calls to you thematically, or is your best rationalization will fall in line with your persona best. It's your story, path, and thought process to play out. You'll be the one who really sells the concept in the end, so the decision is ultimately yours to make.

You're comfortable enough with aspects of the Dark Side, so now it's more about defining that comfort zone... If you go into a cave revealing your darkest self, which order of Sith will the one facing you belong to? Then how far from his shadow would you return to the light, if at all?
I think I will go with the Revanchist, both because it seems to resonate the most with me and my character, and also because I think the symbol goes well with the other two. And I could always even hypothetically embrace a darker role at times if I am saying that my character is still seeking that balance, as I am not quite so arrogant to think that I would already have achieved true enlightenment and balance with the force. So it would still be a line to walk, in seeking to discern when to act, and not to immediately always try to save the galaxy, as it may not always be in my power. Or even to try to conquer oneself would perhaps require one to not constantly seek out people to help by destroying those that oppress them. There is always chaos in the galaxy, so if one has power, they can fight a ceaseless stream of battles to save people and bring justice until they die. Doing good, yes, but perhaps taking the easy path to defeating external enemies instead of attempting to conquer internal ones.

It seems possible that there could be a struggle between acting to save people whenever possible by any means necessary for the greater good (but becoming obsessed with battle, which can bring one closer to darkness, especially if sacrifices have to be made), and helping no one while seeking to win the inner war where you happen to be. Or the middle path of letting the force guide your actions, helping those you feel it brought to you, or you to them, and leaving when the force wills it. Detached from the results of the actions, but doing the actions themselves to the best of your ability. So a lighter path of only acting with as little force or violence as necessary to resolve a situation when it is a small-scale issue (perhaps a thief or a local thug), or a darker path of a preemptive strike on a tyrant hellbent on enslaving planets.

In the words of the Stoic philosopher, Epictetus:
Remember that you are an actor in a play determined by the author: if short, then short; if long, then long. If he wants you to act as a beggar, then act even that with excellence, just as a cripple, a ruler or a citizen. Because that is your objective: to act the role that is given to you well. To select the role is up to someone else.
So one could argue that a Grey Jedi could, at times, decide that the force is guiding them to be peaceful and resolve a conflict without violence, and at other times can guide them to lead an army on the battlefield. But to do either one to the best of one's ability, and to be free and at peace during both, is perhaps one form of balance.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2021, 03:31:16 AM »

how about a vicious lightsaber burn through the jedi symbol to mark a literal break with the order?

Also, look how I incorporated the Sith symbol in my "Dark Apprentice" saber build (linked below)

I wouldn't go too crazy with the symbols on each plate like that (just my preference). Less is more and "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" are my watch phrases in designing. I think you would wear your current affiliation…however defaced logos speak volumes as well

lots of paths to consider

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2021, 03:37:46 AM »

how about a vicious lightsaber burn through the jedi symbol to mark a literal break with the order?

Lol like the Akatsuki headbands

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2021, 03:49:55 AM »

Also, look how I incorporated the Sith symbol in my "Dark Apprentice" saber build (linked below)

I wouldn't go too crazy with the symbols on each plate like that (just my preference). Less is more and "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" are my watch phrases in designing. I think you would wear your current affiliation…however defaced logos speak volumes as well

That's a very nice design (and implementation) of the Sith symbol in your saber. A lightsaber burn though the Jedi symbol would be a unique take, visually and thematically. And it would really only need to be on the Jedi symbol, as if my character moved beyond or abandoned any future affiliations, that initial anger and disillusionment probably wouldn't have been quite so severe as to physically deface the symbol like the first time. I suppose the Revanchist symbol may not be necessary then on the second plate, as a strike though the Jedi symbol would itself illustrate a similar history or path as the Revan symbol (leaving the order after becoming disillusioned with it, but not actually becoming evil out of the desire for power).

Thank you for the input and insights, as usual. If I do end up getting that arm armor, I think I'd print some stencils to see what the various designs would look like on it before actually applying them. It's possible some will look or fit better on certain pieces in person, and maybe one layout will just feel "right." Time will tell I suppose.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2021, 02:25:09 AM »

Put the painted torso armor on top of the grey hooded shirt, and then with or without the long grey cardigan over it. I also got the Red Dragon gorget, which seems to be comfortable and fit with the outfit. I put on the gorget, then the hooded shirt over it, then the torso armor, and then the mask (since the armor wouldn't fit over the mask), which tucked into the hood. With the option of the cardigan over it all with the belt.

I also actually think I like the look of the gorget when I take the mask off. It gives a nice "armor" look I'd say.

Just waiting on the knee/shin armor to arrive and I'm set, aside from perhaps the full-arm armor to cover the delts. But I'm not really sure that's even necessary.

I suppose back-of-head armor (to attach to the back of the fencing helmet) for HEAVY sparring, but that's getting ahead of myself a little bit.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2021, 03:20:15 AM »

not too shabby at all! That looks splendid SirL

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »

How do you get the deep blue of the blade to show up so well in these pics?  When I take photos of a blue/purple blade, it shows up as either dim and deep, or bright and washed-out.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »

How do you get the deep blue of the blade to show up so well in these pics?  When I take photos of a blue/purple blade, it shows up as either dim and deep, or bright and washed-out.
The most recent photos are actually with relatively low battery. This is what it looks like in the lighting I have with fresher batteries:

As for the exacts of the photos, I put my iPhone resting on a shelf or something, and set it to video with the normal camera (not the one for selfies) and record a video. Then I pull screenshots from the video. I’m probably 6-8 feet from the camera, with the light source (a ~6’ tall LED lamp thing) being probably a few feet away from the camera/phone, against the same wall the phone is, if that makes any sense.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2021, 07:47:53 PM »

The most recent photos are actually with relatively low battery. This is what it looks like in the lighting I have with fresher batteries:

As for the exacts of the photos, I put my iPhone resting on a shelf or something, and set it to video with the normal camera (not the one for selfies) and record a video. Then I pull screenshots from the video. I’m probably 6-8 feet from the camera, with the light source (a ~6’ tall LED lamp thing) being probably a few feet away from the camera/phone, against the same wall the phone is, if that makes any sense.

Yes, that does make sense, and thanks!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: