Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 34481 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2020, 01:21:31 AM »

Some photos with the full outfit:

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2020, 01:25:08 AM »

On a related note, while I LOVE the quick release coupler for its ability to make separating the saber much faster and easier (both for easy storage/moving and also just to practice with a single saber or dual-wielding sabers instead of a staff, I don't think I will use it for serious practice with the staff. I haven't run into any real issues while holding the staff with both hands, but while using it with one hand (so one hand is EXACTLY in the center, on top of the coupler, as opposed to two hands each being slightly off-center), there was one time when the motion of my hand and the spin of the staff lead to the blades becoming uncoupled while spinning, which is not ideal. So it seems like the standard flush coupler is the better option for more intensive practice and training.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2020, 03:53:26 AM »

I see you have constructed your lightsaber…Now your training is complete!

Looks awesome my friend!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2020, 04:21:59 AM »

I see you have constructed your lightsaber…Now your training is complete!

Looks awesome my friend!
Thank you! But my training has only just begun!

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »

Picked up a few o-rings to check the size. They fit, so now I can get more. We’ll see how it feels to actually use, but I love the look. They seem sturdy, but time will tell when I have enough for both hilts. And will that extra grip be useful, or too much for spins between hands? We will see!

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2020, 01:05:41 AM »

Tried some copper tape on one of the hilts. I got it as smooth as I could, but it's not perfect. Thoughts on if you like the look? Yay? Nay? Keep that one as is, or try to get it more perfect, or live with that one as-is as part of the authentic lightsaber building process and training?

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »

WOW, that is pretty impressive as it evolved. I was tempted to say "finished product" but I know how these things go... it's a work in progress till you call it a complete outfit you're happy with 100% (if that's really even a thing). But really, very cool, I like it a lot. In games with morality choices I tend to go the grey route so I can appreciate your choice. Plus the galaxy is usually better off that way. You've seriously given me some thought about adapting/adding to my base cosplay design. I'm curious if you plan on eventually getting a black or grey full robe to go over it? You know how in the movies they usually go around in a hooded robe, and drop it once combat is about to start; like that universal symbol of "this is about to get serious!" Overall your outfit works pretty dang well with your saberstaff too, so you planned that part out nicely.

Also @ Illyiss and mrg149 concerning layers: I don't think there is really a concept of "over doing it" in terms of layers in general. They are layered pretty extensively in some of the outfits and cosplay you see in SW and at various events in photos. BUT, if you've ever been to a convention for an extended duration, live in a warm climate, or plan on wearing an outfit for an extended duration... I'll just say planning accordingly comes to mind. You can start to sweat a lot in the right mix of conditions, especially high intensity movement or surrounded by tons of people at conventions. So this is where having lighter weight or breathable materials could be a big help. Keep up the great job gentlemen.

Oh almost forgot cool idea with the 0-rings, I'll be seriously interested if they help or hinder grip and spinning results. Although I think the copper (since it's just for visual appeal anyway) is more about if you find it aesthetically pleasing to you in the end. I view it like asking others if they like the color of your hilt, from a fashion perspective it may reflect how they view you, but your connection to it is more meaningful. Similar to art, anyone viewing it can form or relay an opinion; but do they see the artist's intent/message conveyed through it. I'm a big believer in letting the blade do the talking (when possible).

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »

WOW, that is pretty impressive as it evolved. I was tempted to say "finished product" but I know how these things go... it's a work in progress till you call it a complete outfit you're happy with 100% (if that's really even a thing). But really, very cool, I like it a lot. In games with morality choices I tend to go the grey route so I can appreciate your choice. Plus the galaxy is usually better off that way. You've seriously given me some thought about adapting/adding to my base cosplay design. I'm curious if you plan on eventually getting a black or grey full robe to go over it? You know how in the movies they usually go around in a hooded robe, and drop it once combat is about to start; like that universal symbol of "this is about to get serious!" Overall your outfit works pretty dang well with your saberstaff too, so you planned that part out nicely.

Also @ Illyiss and mrg149 concerning layers: I don't think there is really a concept of "over doing it" in terms of layers in general. They are layered pretty extensively in some of the outfits and cosplay you see in SW and at various events in photos. BUT, if you've ever been to a convention for an extended duration, live in a warm climate, or plan on wearing an outfit for an extended duration... I'll just say planning accordingly comes to mind. You can start to sweat a lot in the right mix of conditions, especially high intensity movement or surrounded by tons of people at conventions. So this is where having lighter weight or breathable materials could be a big help. Keep up the great job gentlemen.

Oh almost forgot cool idea with the 0-rings, I'll be seriously interested if they help or hinder grip and spinning results. Although I think the copper (since it's just for visual appeal anyway) is more about if you find it aesthetically pleasing to you in the end. I view it like asking others if they like the color of your hilt, from a fashion perspective it may reflect how they view you, but your connection to it is more meaningful. Similar to art, anyone viewing it can form or relay an opinion; but do they see the artist's intent/message conveyed through it. I'm a big believer in letting the blade do the talking (when possible).
I appreciate the kind words. I wanted something that would go well with the red chucks I had and also with the blue staff that was, at the time, on the way, and figured that grey with black would work with both, and I'm happy with how it has turned out. I also think it reflects my philosophy as well, in that I'm not a Sith, but also not inherently entirely adverse to using the dark side and emotions. True, it can be challenging to not let emotions and a desire for power to consume you, but if I avoid large portions of knowledge and resources because of this, because of this FEAR, then am I really upholding the Jedi ideals of having no emotion and fear?

I do not attempt to have no emotions, I feel this is a mistake of some Jedi, and even many spiritual aspirants in general. I feel that instead of trying to repress emotions, I should seek to identify them as they arise, be aware of them, and then control them. Much like any training, be it martial arts or weight lifting, with regular practice, one can train the mind. To identify negative feelings when they arise and not deny them, but acknowledge them, and see them for what they are. And then either look at them and realize they have no power over me unless I let them, or harness them for a purpose and release them that way, as I am fond of doing while weight lifting.

A commentary of the Bhagavad Gita I am fond of said something to the effect of the first realization being that we are not the body. There is more to us. The second realization is that we are not the mind. There is more to us. It may sound strange at first, but reflect on it. How often does the mind wander? Think about painful or embarrassing memories that we do not want it to. Now, if the mind was what we truly were, why would we disobey ourselves? That would be madness. So the mind is just another tool of what we truly are. A tool that can be trained to obey us more effectively, just as the body can.

But now I am ranting pretty far off-topic!

Back on topic, I took off the copper tape. It looked fairly nice, but the more I looked at it up close, it looked a little battle-worn due to the slight imperfections. Now, that's not inherently a bad thing, but it didn't quite go with my more modern aesthetic and color scheme. But it's a nice trick to know for future sabers.

Oh, and you bring up a good point, a long, hooded robe would make a fine addition at some point.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »

Here's a quick video of my accidentally activating the QR coupler while spinning the staff with one hand. Quite a quick release indeed!

https://i.imgur.com/4mZ6IL4.mp4

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2020, 04:04:09 AM »

Well said, and glad if I could be of use. But that "robe idea" is just so fundamental throughout the movies, it's like the one thing Sith and Jedi Orders can agree upon other than "yes we're both using the Force". Although I hope you could find one in a grey. Even if Black would suit your color scheme (and I'm obviously biased) it might send the wrong "image" to most casual fans. Black outer robe= Evil Sith agent, if you don't think in terms of grey. Although the Jedi allowed Anakin to wear one so I suppose you can too.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2020, 04:31:52 AM »

Well said, and glad if I could be of use. But that "robe idea" is just so fundamental throughout the movies, it's like the one thing Sith and Jedi Orders can agree upon other than "yes we're both using the Force". Although I hope you could find one in a grey. Even if Black would suit your color scheme (and I'm obviously biased) it might send the wrong "image" to most casual fans. Black outer robe= Evil Sith agent, if you don't think in terms of grey. Although the Jedi allowed Anakin to wear one so I suppose you can too.
Good point on the presence of robes. I agree a grey one would be ideal, although black would still match. So since I can think in shades of grey, I don't have to go with grey. Especially since I don't see any affordable grey robes, and I'd prefer not to spend more on a robe than on the entirety of my outfit besides the robe.

JediRobeAmerica on Etsy has a black robe for $60

If I go grey, the closest thing I see is a cloak for $51:

Which may still work. Although perhaps this "medieval ritual robe/cloak in grey could serve as a Jedi Robe for $82?

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:17 AM »

Hmm, well the standard "robes" in universe seem to have sleeves. So the cloak without any that just goes over the top (to me) shows a separation from either Order and doing your own thing. The last/bottom Grey robe looks like something I could easily see a Grey Jedi wearing, like stating I'm grey but formerly of the Order. But since your under layers have black, the black robe matches well enough too. I view it as what kind of statement do you want to make (if any at all)? Or what did you envision as the style that goes best with your original vision, if it's not just a constantly evolving idea instead. Like if this is an astral projection of you, you in SW, or you're character building in an RPG which would you spend your hard earned in game currency on/ or say "that's the one gotta have it for sure" kind of thing.

I'll try to use my plans as an example. I built the idea of this Sith Lord, then started my sketches (not this avatar but costume sketches). Deciding what I did or didn't like personally while avoiding being to derivative. My friends made fun of capes for years from anime but I'm like "I don't care I really want one". Then, is it going to be over the shoulders or purely behind the back. I don't want it in the way of combat, but maybe if it's over one shoulder it could conceal my lightsaber. Seeing those pictures I think I'll settle on something closer to the sleeveless cloak for function (but in black). That way I can modify it a bit, and never have to remove it for combat unless I really want to "get serious". So if you consider those things and have an "ahh ha!" moment then great. I find it helpful to build off the idea of "a character's persona" but you have a pretty solid sense of fashion. And other people might have much better advice than me on this. Like experience with how it rests on you, if it can be partially open all the time to show off the rest of the outfit. I've been more anime cosplay, less experience with these details.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2020, 02:57:56 PM »

I got my Jedi robe from here. They are very good to work with and if you contact the seller and ask for some specific things like "gray fabric" they do work with you! They want you to be happy!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/274306858/galactic-dark-knight-robe-black?ref=yr_purchases

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »

Hmm, well the standard "robes" in universe seem to have sleeves. So the cloak without any that just goes over the top (to me) shows a separation from either Order and doing your own thing. The last/bottom Grey robe looks like something I could easily see a Grey Jedi wearing, like stating I'm grey but formerly of the Order. But since your under layers have black, the black robe matches well enough too. I view it as what kind of statement do you want to make (if any at all)? Or what did you envision as the style that goes best with your original vision, if it's not just a constantly evolving idea instead. Like if this is an astral projection of you, you in SW, or you're character building in an RPG which would you spend your hard earned in game currency on/ or say "that's the one gotta have it for sure" kind of thing.

I'll try to use my plans as an example. I built the idea of this Sith Lord, then started my sketches (not this avatar but costume sketches). Deciding what I did or didn't like personally while avoiding being to derivative. My friends made fun of capes for years from anime but I'm like "I don't care I really want one". Then, is it going to be over the shoulders or purely behind the back. I don't want it in the way of combat, but maybe if it's over one shoulder it could conceal my lightsaber. Seeing those pictures I think I'll settle on something closer to the sleeveless cloak for function (but in black). That way I can modify it a bit, and never have to remove it for combat unless I really want to "get serious". So if you consider those things and have an "ahh ha!" moment then great. I find it helpful to build off the idea of "a character's persona" but you have a pretty solid sense of fashion. And other people might have much better advice than me on this. Like experience with how it rests on you, if it can be partially open all the time to show off the rest of the outfit. I've been more anime cosplay, less experience with these details.
You raise some good points. I'm not entirely sure if I'd actually separate from the order, or if I'd merely be more Qui-Gon-like and, while remaining part of the order, still sort of do my own thing, agreeing with the goals of the Jedi Order and the work they do, but not really agreeing on all their methods and code, or even always obeying everything they say. Sort of how Neeson described Qui-Gon:
He's almost like a monk, an old-time warrior who is wise and quite philosophical, yet very skilled in martial arts. He has incredible confidence, as well as a magical quality that enables him to see into the future. He's not really a rebel, but he has his own code.

So I wouldn't be opposed to a traditional Jedi robe in grey (or even black), but I also wouldn't be opposed to something slightly different either. I'll reflect on it a bit. There is no rush for me to get either one. Thank you for the input, as usual.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2020, 03:04:48 PM »

I got my Jedi robe from here. They are very good to work with and if you contact the seller and ask for some specific things like "gray fabric" they do work with you! They want you to be happy!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/274306858/galactic-dark-knight-robe-black?ref=yr_purchases

Very nice, thank you for the lead. The price seems very solid as well.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: