Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 34913 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2021, 10:18:53 PM »

Incorporated the arm guards into the outfit. They'd likely be too tight with even a compression shirt under them, so I just wore a black tank-top undershirt. Perhaps I will use a black compression shirt another time, but eventually there will be chest/torso armor over it for the sparring outfit anyway. Photos with and without the grey robe/cardigan, as I'd likely wear it for the Jedi-robe look, but take it off before sparring. One additional bonus of having the tank top is I can flex my biceps for style and intimidation points.

I suppose I should probably cover up the "CENTURY" text on the pads for an in-universe look, but I don't think it's terrible to be honest. Maybe I go the meta route and cover it up with black tape, and on top of that put the Star Wars language text that says "CENTURY" just for fun.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2021, 12:21:38 AM »

Lol, intimidation points. RPG level of pricelessness. Making me think back to Fallout S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Perk tree, or Fable where if you're evil enough towns folk run away shrieking if they see you... Classic.

They look good enough to fit in while playing a functional role, and on their own add an intimidation factor. I'd laugh for sure if you rewrite "century" in basic, that's some brand loyalty if it spans universes. Have a blast testing them out, remember if you want to cover the logo to possibly think toward "machine washable compatibility/durability" if the pads themselves are washable in such a way. You know how it goes with training gear...

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2021, 01:18:10 AM »

Lol, intimidation points. RPG level of pricelessness. Making me think back to Fallout S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Perk tree, or Fable where if you're evil enough towns folk run away shrieking if they see you... Classic.

They look good enough to fit in while playing a functional role, and on their own add an intimidation factor. I'd laugh for sure if you rewrite "century" in basic, that's some brand loyalty if it spans universes. Have a blast testing them out, remember if you want to cover the logo to possibly think toward "machine washable compatibility/durability" if the pads themselves are washable in such a way. You know how it goes with training gear...

Fable. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Thanks. I'll have to have someone hit me at different strengths with them to test them out. That should be fun for me and the tester.

Good point on the washing part. I was thinking just covering it with a strip of black gaffer tape and then using a silver Sharpie to write whatever I'm going to put on it. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to write it out twice once I get the hang of it, and the tape should be strong enough to stick, but also doesn't leave residue when removed, so I'd just have to take it off and use a new piece (with new writing) every time I wash it.

I just ordered the fencing helmet, so once that's here, after ensuring it fits properly, I think I'll work on the stencils for the Temple Guard design and then spray it.

From there, it's just waiting on the motorcycle armor to arrive, and if that works well, painting it, and then my medium sparring set is ready, considering I have a padded football girdle (hips, tailbone, and thigh pads, with a cup).

Just for fun, I looked up what I'd need to go full heavy sparring, and, in addition to everything I mentioned above (which hopefully is just waiting on things to arrive), is:

Back of head protection for fencing mask: $21

Neck protection: $30 or $35:

Knee and shin armor: $40 for matching Century ones or fencing ones:

So ~$100, assuming the motorcycle chest armor is sufficient for heavy sparring. Not that I think I'd be doing full heavy sparring in the immediate future, but I enjoy this whole thing of piecing things together and whatnot.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2021, 03:46:46 AM »

love the look of the arm-or :-D I think it will blend nicely with the rest of your outfit. Honestly a sleeveless tunic with an under layer would still look good with the armguards and bare biceps. even adding the cardigan "tabards"

iI'm just waiting for my velcro to arrive to complete my bracers. Perhaps as early as tomorrow! I'm going to aim to make them fit looser as they are a tight fit with the rest of my costume.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2021, 03:54:05 AM »

love the look of the arm-or :-D I think it will blend nicely with the rest of your outfit. Honestly a sleeveless tunic with an under layer would still look good with the armguards and bare biceps. even adding the cardigan "tabards"

iI'm just waiting for my velcro to arrive to complete my bracers. Perhaps as early as tomorrow! I'm going to aim to make them fit looser as they are a tight fit with the rest of my costume.
Thanks! I did post some pictures of the arm-or (nice one haha) with the outfit, both with and without the sleveless cardigan. I think it does blend nicely if I say so myself. It seems to flow well with the gloves too, which is appreciated.

Your bracers are coming along very, very nicely. Definitely looking forward to seeing your finished look.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2021, 10:25:27 PM »

Just a reminder to make sure you have fully charged/fresh batteries before taking photos with your saber(s). Shown below is one saber before changing the batteries, and one after. Both are now equally bright with new batteries:

And some attempts at new poses with new batteries in the sabers:

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2021, 03:49:00 AM »

Just a reminder to make sure you have fully charged/fresh batteries before taking photos with your saber(s). Shown below is one saber before changing the batteries, and one after. Both are now equally bright with new batteries:
Lol, oh yea pictures require fresh batteries... They (and filming) are best done before (or early on in) intense training. Dang rechargeable batteries are a MUST have IMO. I wonder, are any of these photos public on the image host? I'd upvote you at this point, or suspect people would be following a bit. lol, nice work overall man, great progression.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2021, 04:25:55 AM »

Lol, oh yea pictures require fresh batteries... They (and filming) are best done before (or early on in) intense training. Dang rechargeable batteries are a MUST have IMO. I wonder, are any of these photos public on the image host? I'd upvote you at this point, or suspect people would be following a bit. lol, nice work overall man, great progression.
Thanks for the kinds words. All my photos are hidden on Imgur. Partially because I usually upload more photos than I actually post here, and then pick which ones I want. If I was more selective in only uploading the ones I wanted to share, or if I trimmed the posts down to those photos before switching them to public, I suppose I could do that.

Maybe when I get the fencing mask and paint it I'll start making some public posts there. I can re-upload/share some of my favorites so far, and then also add some more as the sparring outfit progresses.

I do need to get some rechargeable batteries. Just since I love experimenting, I picked up some normal alkaline batteries and some lithium batteries, but the lithium ones are not any brighter. I should test them out one time, leave them on all day, with one saber having the alkaline batteries and the other having the lithium ones, see how much longer the lithium ones last. Of course, as you said, rechargeable ones would be the best in the long run, so I can then test the battery life on those when I get them.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2021, 05:23:24 AM »

Thanks for the kinds words. All my photos are hidden on Imgur. Partially because I usually upload more photos than I actually post here, and then pick which ones I want. If I was more selective in only uploading the ones I wanted to share, or if I trimmed the posts down to those photos before switching them to public, I suppose I could do that.

Maybe when I get the fencing mask and paint it I'll start making some public posts there. I can re-upload/share some of my favorites so far, and then also add some more as the sparring outfit progresses.

I understand your desire for a reasonable level of anonymity there, and share such concerns. I'm not a "selfie" kind of person. I don't see the need to plaster myself around for public consumption just because... not that I disagree with posting pictures of one's self by a long shot. Partly it's sharing the V for Vendetta kind of ideology (not having the mask makes the individual less of a symbol/mysterious) but also how Sith Lords tend to be cloaked, shrouded in darkness/mystery, or remain in the shadows until they choose to step forth. The persona is best kept intact for now IMO. Infamy serves it's own purpose too. "Darth" is a symbol after all. Plus in all honesty I feel like it could get annoying being spotted in a crowd, or if I (of please no) had fans! Our world is terribly bad for holding "celebrities" hostage to their fame. So if my designs, persona, or fighting styles eventually create ripples or waves of that magnitude I don't really want people acting a fool. Lets just say I learned well from the literary and big screen Sith Lord's. A degree of compartmentalization and/or control of one's image can be a benefit.

I do need to get some rechargeable batteries. Just since I love experimenting, I picked up some normal alkaline batteries and some lithium batteries, but the lithium ones are not any brighter. I should test them out one time, leave them on all day, with one saber having the alkaline batteries and the other having the lithium ones, see how much longer the lithium ones last. Of course, as you said, rechargeable ones would be the best in the long run, so I can then test the battery life on those when I get them.

That's a great plan to see which last longer! I'm still using regular ones as well, due to initial investment costs of rechargeable batteries. I know individual ones that'd fit into the standard battery style setup are commercially available, but when I looked previously (while searching for game console controller options VS disposable batteries) they were prohibitively costly with or without the "charging stand" to juice the batterie back up.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2021, 11:05:03 PM »

Got my fencing mask in today!

Experimented with a few outfits with it. The neck padding didn't look right with the undershirt tank top I had before, so I opted for a short-sleeve under armor. I should probably tape over the Everlast Logo though, as it sort of stands out a bit with the yellow. So that's 1 look. Then I also have the grey cardigan/robe over it, which looks nice, but I don't think I'd want to actually spar with the robe on. Then the third look is a different sweatshirt I ordered a while ago that's a size too big, but actually works sort of well here, since the neck and hood are large enough to fit over the fencing mask. The sleeves were too loose/baggy to fit under the forearm pads, so I cut the sleeves off, and it works. This is nice, as it provides a hood around the sides and back of the mask, which may look good after painting a Jedi Temple Guard type design on it. On a related note, I didn't love the look of the back of my head and hair being exposed, so I put on a balcalva under the fencing mask which you can see in some of the photos, which I think makes it look better from the back, and even from the front, as you see more mask and less face under the mask, which I think may look good once the mask is painted. That said, I do plan on getting some back-of-head protection that will serve a visual purpose to "complete" the mask, as well as to protect the back of my head.

Thoughts on the various looks? Prefer one? Thoughts for changes or additions? I am of course still waiting on the torso armor, so things may have to change when I get that to fit, and some may look better or worse with it, so it's a work in progress, ever evolving, as usual.

And here's the back of head protection.

One that just covers the back for ~$20:

And one that overlays the sides, top, and back for ~$40, for more of a hooded look:

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2021, 02:27:43 AM »

Oh man! The 1st and last variants in the series of pics get my vote for sure. From a purely aesthetic perspective (not functional sparring) the darker grey outer layer and the fully layered version with the baclava under are stellar. They look both menacing and appropriate, purely impractical to have "stay put, or breathe well" while sparring/training but they look excellent.

I'd be thinking twice about plans to encroach on the temple if you met me at the door. Then again what is life without a little throw-down now and again to test your mettle, especially if you already made the trip out? Nice, real nice combos.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »

Oh man! The 1st and last variants in the series of pics get my vote for sure. From a purely aesthetic perspective (not functional sparring) the darker grey outer layer and the fully layered version with the baclava under are stellar. They look both menacing and appropriate, purely impractical to have "stay put, or breathe well" while sparring/training but they look excellent.

I'd be thinking twice about plans to encroach on the temple if you met me at the door. Then again what is life without a little throw-down now and again to test your mettle, especially if you already made the trip out? Nice, real nice combos.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm honestly not 100% sure on the fit of the fencing mask. At first it was too tight, so I squeezed it a little bit as the internet people told me to, and it was good. Then I put on the balaclava and it was tight but good, and then it felt a little lose after that without the balaclava, and also somehow even with it on. But I messed around squeezing it in different directions, and with the balaclava on, it seems to be good. It's not falling off, even when jumping, spinning, etc. I smacked myself around with my hands and it never more than slightly moved, and I gave myself a few whacks with my hardwood staff and it didn't move enough to be a problem. So I think it should be good.

If I do end up doing actual full contact sparring in the future, I guess I could always ask an expert who is there to check the fit for me and help me further adjust it by squeezing/etc. it a bit. I know they also sell different thickness pads if needed, and some people recommend wearing an arming cap or a scrum cap under the fencing mask anyway for extra head cushioning/safety, so if it's a hair loose, then that means I can fit one of those under it. So I think it will all work out well!

I think for now my sparring outfit would be the far left (dark grey). It has a little cloak/cape and layered look, but it's not too long to catch on things at all, and it's really just one sweatshirt designed to look layered. But we'll see how torso armor impacts the look, as unless it's quite form fitting, it wouldn't be able to go under anything, so a tighter shirt under the armor may end up being the way to go. Especially if I'm gong to take the time to paint the armor, I'm going to want to show it off!

Funnily enough the dark grey shirt is the same brand as the light grey cardigan/robe. They make some very Star Wars looking clothes!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2021, 03:48:47 AM »

Yes, helmets are a funny thing to adjust to, especially if you haven't experienced full contact in armor before. It's true, a little (and I mean very little) bit loose is much better than too tight because as you say you can add padding or extra layers in my experience as well... Really if you don't feel movement while wearing it and moving around that's a good sign. Same for if you take a few impacts and don't feel it majorly shifting. Shaking head side to side and up and down while wearing it are also a good gauge for proper fit. I'd have to tie and retie my Men strings before feeling good and confident when I first got that armor and prior to each spar to assure it wouldn't move but also wouldn't give me a headache from over tightening. It's soooo fun IMO to go full contact once you have a reliable set of armor. Since you get to truly test those training skills, reflexes, and your mettle against a potentially cunning opponent with either similar or insanely different training. There is nothing quite like it that I've experienced in MA. Plus it highlights your potential weaknesses, flaws in technique, and openings like none other. We just move different with adrenaline pumping and at "full speed" especially if the opponent is actually proving challenging/worthy adversary. You probably know this from competition already, but you see inside yourself and can even realize when completely outmatched! But creativity, adaptability, and training shine through (or their lack their of) so extensively even in friendly matches. It's a beautiful thing (of course when attempted safely, and by those old enough to consent and accept responsibility for their actions & potential medical bills in worst case situations). I'm glad you're already enjoying it a bit, and can't wait to see that IRL paint job applied to the mask vs the theoretical workup. Best of luck.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2021, 03:57:36 AM »

Yes, helmets are a funny thing to adjust to, especially if you haven't experienced full contact in armor before. It's true, a little (and I mean very little) bit loose is much better than too tight because as you say you can add padding or extra layers in my experience as well... Really if you don't feel movement while wearing it and moving around that's a good sign. Same for if you take a few impacts and don't feel it majorly shifting. Shaking head side to side and up and down while wearing it are also a good gauge for proper fit. I'd have to tie and retie my Men strings before feeling good and confident when I first got that armor and prior to each spar to assure it wouldn't move but also wouldn't give me a headache from over tightening. It's soooo fun IMO to go full contact once you have a reliable set of armor. Since you get to truly test those training skills, reflexes, and your mettle against a potentially cunning opponent with either similar or insanely different training. There is nothing quite like it that I've experienced in MA. Plus it highlights your potential weaknesses, flaws in technique, and openings like none other. We just move different with adrenaline pumping and at "full speed" especially if the opponent is actually proving challenging/worthy adversary. You probably know this from competition already, but you see inside yourself and can even realize when completely outmatched! But creativity, adaptability, and training shine through (or their lack their of) so extensively even in friendly matches. It's a beautiful thing (of course when attempted safely, and by those old enough to consent and accept responsibility for their actions & potential medical bills in worst case situations). I'm glad you're already enjoying it a bit, and can't wait to see that IRL paint job applied to the mask vs the theoretical workup. Best of luck.
It has a bit of slight wiggle/wobble if I tug on the neck padding, and may move a little bit if I really shake my head, but never enough that it loses proper overall positioning, and never so much that when I smacked myself or hit myself with the staff that it got out of position. And if that's just with a thin balaclava, I'm sure I'll be able to find some headgear that will make it a perfect fit, since it's easier too add a layer than to take on off that doesn't exist haha.

I played football for years, so I'm at least somewhat familiar with contact to the head though a helmet/mask, even if it's been years since then. I'm sure it will take some getting used to, but it sounds like fun.

As you said, going at least good speed really allows one to see what good has come from their practice, and what needs further practice. Always interesting to see how speed, power, timing, reflexes, strategy, and muscle memory all come into play, and how one can adapt to their opponent.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2021, 09:16:11 PM »

Got in the Century Kung Fu top and bottoms, and the red sleeveless top. They need to be washed to get out the wrinkles from being folded though. Not a Star Wars look alone, but perhaps as part of other outfits, or just something fun to practice in.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: