Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith: Looking for translations of "Sith" across multiple languages. Help me out.  (Read 5240 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 03:33:38 AM »

Then yes, on both points you're making I understand and agree with you.

Let me float the theory that with that particular sentient species in SW I'd have to guess protocol droids with translation software might have played an active role. If not then maybe Jedi or traders seeking not to get ripped limb from limb realized they had to bridge the gap in communication. I REALLY don't want to come off as offensive here (and I'm trying not to be even slightly) but in some instances people working with the deaf have a great aptitude for hearing and understanding things others might miss trying to listen casually instead of listening intently. People have also sought my help with varying degrees of babysitting and I am often terrible with kids (or so I've been told) especially understanding them when they start talking quickly or all upset. I guess it really depends on how hard you're ever trying to listen to a human being and gauge their intent. Often I fall short, likely a lack of effort.

Getting back to the intent of the topic, SW languages are sometimes crazy interesting and much harder to understand than Wookies. I remember something about Muun (even if they are EU now) being based in binary or something. I can only relate that back to maybe a spoken type of Morse code. Or I could be way off. At any rate I supposed I sought out someone who speaks German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, anything from African countries... those kind of inputs. Feeling like the Movies could have generated something of use in those countries dialects? All just a shot in the dark because of how interesting I find it, and wanting to learn new things I might put to use.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »

I'm referring to dialect as it pertains to pronunciations based on language biases. Like the generic "z" sound used instead of "th" by almost every non-English European-language speaker speaking English. It becomes "zis" and "zat" and "zee ozzer zing." Effectively, it showcases the lack of use of that particular diphthong. Just as there are English idiosyncrasies when trying to pronounce foreign words and names. It drove me nuts living down south, where a county named Dubois was pronounced "doo-boyz".

Now, Wookiee just makes absolutely no sense. I never understood how the spoken grunts and growls translates into human phonics.

Off topic but in certain parts of France, we use "v" or "f" for your "th" ... "vee over fing" ....

The correct pronunciation of your "th" is a nightmare  Grin

In topic, for Sith, we just remove the h for the pronunciation ... it becomes "Sit" .... like "take a seat" ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »

Off topic but in certain parts of France, we use "v" or "f" for your "th" ... "vee over fing" ....

The correct pronunciation of your "th" is a nightmare  Grin

In topic, for Sith, we just remove the h for the pronunciation ... it becomes "Sit" .... like "take a seat" ...
I feel like I'm experiencing some similar nightmare, attempting translations from English into Common Sith and then High Sith as well. Attempting to retain the proper meaning and avoiding simply "trading the letters" in some type of literal translation that could fail to do so. It simply seems to get more and more complex, requiring some serious research & reference materials. Really I see the fundamental need for a Sith Abbatar and/or Holocron in the process at times. The complexity required seems insane at times, but also seems necessary for some of my goals. Because believability comes from functionality at times, so I don't want to create flawed or imperfect results on accident. My fellow Full Metal Alchemist fans would be able to understand where I'm going here, or others that could grasp the ideology and structure of ritual sorcery. For example in FMA they have to draw out alchemic circles and diagrams to do anything properly, and the "meaning of words and a properly/soundly formed idea" are building blocks of proper sorcery. So if I want to construct an example of proper Sith ritual on something amazingly cool like the acid etched blades, or a create a profile picture of a Sith Sorcerer standing in a Ritual Circle that isn't pure gibberish this is crucial. Because I really don't want to just "make something up" that looks cool but if you really look at it means absolutely nothing. If a fan could look at half the image and say "wow I can read this, that's amazing it's creator knows his stuff" then I've succeeded. It's also in my mind a huge waste to spend too much money on supplies creating images or parts of any costume that looks ridiculous to a trained eye. Ultimately answering Saso Is-Kor's original question.

I get that this may all seem a little off topic within my own topic, but I've had pretty good success in cosplay creation over the years, and I've found the old saying true to me "the Devil is in the details". And although it can turn into an intricate process the end result is rewarding in the reactions from people. I want the most hardcore of hardcore fans to be impressed if they start dissecting my work in earnest. Primarily since this is my first large scale attempt in regards to SW and being a lifelong fan. Maybe it's just the desire to do it once and do it right, but I almost feel the need for assistance from serious professionals in fields of study related to linguistics with something bordering on Master's degrees or PhD's at times. Which also sounds like overkill in this regard, but appropriate to satisfy an attempt at perfection before fabrication. Likely instead I'll have to turn to individuals who have spent years honing fanfiction while trying to replicate lore. This is what I get for trying to elevate an outfit into artwork, but I feel like it'd pay off if done properly. Somewhere between instilling fear or awe on sight sounds very Sith Lord to me. Seeing the quality of work produced by individuals crafting ensembles on the forum reinforces this desire. Thus this statement is giving you what inspired this topic, grounding a seemingly unrelated thought to the heart of the matter. I just want to do better than original examples of "temple carvings" did. In their defense I'm working with way more material than they did at the time, so I'm holding myself to a pretty high standard. So if others with detailed understanding of Ancient and Common Sith want to assist I would likely create a new topic as well.

But I still enjoy just trying to find out what I'm looking for here as well. It's all of interest to me. The continued input is as well. Helping to satisfy my craving for knowledge is greatly appreciated. Since knowledge is power.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 07:59:57 PM »

The correct pronunciation of your "th" is a nightmare  Grin

Meh. I actually speak English and cannot for the life of me figure out the 'f' in "laugh" or "enough", and then turn right around and get "ghost".

But then you get others with speech impediments that can't distinguish between the pronunciation of 's', 'sh', and 'th'. I wanted to make a t-shirt playing off of this:

The image would show a dog standing up, and the text would read

"My dog doethn't know thit."

The double entendre of "He doesn't know the command "sit" or imply that the dog is stupid and doesn't know "$#!%"

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 06:46:46 AM »

Meh. I actually speak English and cannot for the life of me figure out the 'f' in "laugh" or "enough", and then turn right around and get "ghost".

But then you get others with speech impediments that can't distinguish between the pronunciation of 's', 'sh', and 'th'. I wanted to make a t-shirt playing off of this:

The double entendre of "He doesn't know the command "sit" or imply that the dog is stupid and doesn't know "$#!%"
Oh it is mind boggling for us frenchies when we learn the language as well ^^'
But our own language is full of silly exceptions too. So we adapt ^^'

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »

Duh, that's because it is pronounces "fost".

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »

Oh it is mind boggling for us frenchies when we learn the language as well ^^'
But our own language is full of silly exceptions too. So we adapt ^^'

"ille" .... the nightmare to explain that to a kid that learns to read ...

Try to explain the difference of pronunciation between "Famille" "morille" "bille" and "ville" "mille" ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »

+point xD

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2020, 09:35:17 AM »

"ille" .... the nightmare to explain that to a kid that learns to read ...

Try to explain the difference of pronunciation between "Famille" "morille" "bille" and "ville" "mille" ...
Uh I never thought about that! Guess I'll have to try with my son soon enough.

aaaaand this.

Plus,
English is difficult. It can be understood though through tough thorough thought.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 10:15:13 PM »

Plus,
English is difficult. It can be understood though through tough thorough thought.

Exaclty, now you're getting it.

Point back, I've been looking for that breakdown of "ghoti" for a loooong time.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2020, 08:53:16 PM »

Then why doesn't it make the same sound as "frost"? HA! Gothca there.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2020, 10:57:15 PM »

Not like all the insights into French are bad, but slightly off topic if not interesting.
I typed a long reply to the great Darth Rondoudou... but timed out, so I was not re-typing that paragraph... although I appreciate the alliteration

SO English: Sith
     French: Sit

others...?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 12:14:56 AM »

Then why doesn't it make the same sound as "frost"? HA! Gothca there.

Uh.. because English. Duh.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 12:33:08 AM »

Uh.. because English. Duh.
yep, root language of evil itself... that's why Sith seems impossible to translate into... it's root language is English

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 07:07:24 AM »

The Sith language seems to have odd parallels or coincidences within other languages... So I'm sharing a little of that now because in SW "there is no such thing as coincidence" right? It's sometimes funny but also a little creepy (at least to me so far anyway) so we'll see what others think.

In Spanish the word Diablo means Devil in English. But if you take the word Diable from Sith it means "curse" in English. Found it funny it's only one letter away.

Going from the point of view of English into Sith, "All" translates into Visa... So Visa really does mean everything/ is a gateway to "All" in a Sith frame of mind.

A correlation between English and Sith again this time, Status = Right. Literally translated from English the word Right= Status as a Sith word. Kind of ironic because Sith determine the right to rule in their society by the status one holds. Power dictates where you stand more often than not, giving you the "right" to hold power in society.

So, those are the fun little ironic bits I've found in my work/research along the way that stuck out. I don't know if Visa is a Sith company but that would make credit card rules and skyrocketing debt make a whole lot more sense IMO. Completely a joke, but a scary thought. Channeled the Dark Side by accident huh Visa?  Shocked

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: