Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Basic Saberstaff Forms  (Read 2543 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« on: November 23, 2020, 12:55:16 AM »

I recently got my first saberstaff, and decided that some traditional forms (from Taekwondo, although I've seen Karate also practice these) would be a great way to practice and hone my skills.

Form 1:
https://i.imgur.com/ZYd80BZ.mp4

Form 2:
https://i.imgur.com/RLJ58Ce.mp4

Form 1 and 2 consecutively:
https://i.imgur.com/JaIeZID.mp4

And some free-spinning:
https://i.imgur.com/ZfAVxzt.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/aOhMqYg.mp4

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:54:18 AM »

Rather cool, and fun to watch as well. Not going to lie, I planned on doing something similar whenever mine arrives.
Here's a point for putting some videos out for the community to enjoy.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »

Rather cool, and fun to watch as well. Not going to lie, I planned on doing something similar whenever mine arrives.
Here's a point for putting some videos out for the community to enjoy.
Thank you. You still can when yours arrives. I'd be very interested in seeing some more martial arts incorporated into lightsaber use. As much as I love seeing the insane spinning exhibitions some skilled people are capable of, something just hits me different about martial arts demonstrations with lightsabers, even if they're not always particularly flashy and dazzling to most viewers. I guess maybe that's a product of my having more experience with traditional Taekwondo forms than with the faster paced exhibitions to music. Call me old-school if you will haha. But I plan on of course evolving and developing my skills to include both traditional forms as well as flashier moves and demonstrations, in the hopes of combining them to make a more holistic and functional form that is still exciting to watch.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 12:49:43 AM »

The rest of Form 2, since I had previously only completed the fist half or so:
https://i.imgur.com/yfeXnhX.mp4

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 12:05:22 AM »

Here is a combination of Form 1, Form 2, and some freestyle spinning and Jar'Kai added in:
https://i.imgur.com/4RtMuE8.mp4

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 12:36:16 AM »

Like what im seeing. Great stuff. You have a fan!

I have an old set I recorded back in 2015 that is in the Combat section if your looking for a different take on it. Translated the forms using Kali ( Lacoste - Inosanto ) as the source material.

We were filming the new stuff before Covid hit. Seems like I should just suck it up and finish it on my own. Partner drills gonna be tough.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 01:10:59 AM »

Like what im seeing. Great stuff. You have a fan!

I have an old set I recorded back in 2015 that is in the Combat section if your looking for a different take on it. Translated the forms using Kali ( Lacoste - Inosanto ) as the source material.

We were filming the new stuff before Covid hit. Seems like I should just suck it up and finish it on my own. Partner drills gonna be tough.
Thank you! I can't seem to find the video you are referencing, and it seems like a lot of the older video links to YouTube are unavailable. I did see a very informative staff flourish basics video I'll check out, and also a quick release demo video though, and those were some silky smooth couples and uncouples! So you most assuredly have a fan as well!

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 01:19:59 AM »

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=44952.0

Thanks!

Something with application has been in the works for a long time. Finally getting somewhere with it this year.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 02:31:44 AM »

Thanks!

Something with application has been in the works for a long time. Finally getting somewhere with it this year.

Awesome, thanks. Those are some silky smooth transitions between coupled and uncoupled. I'm also going to practice some of the basic staff flourishes you had in your tutorial. I am VERY out of practice in my martial arts work, but your videos give me some ideas and instruction, which I truly do appreciate!

I'm not sure where I posted it, but my background is in Taekwondo. I practiced seriously for about 10 years, but that was a handful of years ago, and I have had very little practice since then until the last few months. The majority of that time was spent under one of the four founding Grandmasters of Ko Am Mu Do. I'm a first degree/poom/dan black belt with Kukkiwon, but am VERY rusty. My primary focus was in traditional forms (won my age/belt at the Sunshine State Games a few times, and placed second in the U.S. Open), although I also started to become pretty decent at competitive sparring later on, although I think Sunshine State games was the highest I went/placed with sparring at the time.

But then I played football and wrestled, and fell in love with weight lifting, which has been my primary form of exercise since, which means my flexibility has taken a pretty considerable hit relative to when I regularly practiced martial arts. But now is as good a time as any to get back into things!

I will definitely continue to check out your videos for instruction and inspiration! Thank you again.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »

Thanks!

I just wanted to say thank you again for the instructional and inspirational videos. I've been practicing a few of the basic staff flourishes from your video. I still have a LOT of work to do, and plenty of room for improvement. I've more or less gotten the hang of the basic behind the back transition, although speed can still be greatly improved, but the behind the head "halo" transition is still proving challenging, but fun. Here's where I am at currently with a normal 5' staff. At least I think I have the basic movements down I hope, and it's just repetition and practice to become more comfortable with them, so consistency and speed will improve.

https://i.imgur.com/MCkhSAJ.mp4

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:00:32 PM »

And some more practicing the flourish basics with the saberstaff:

https://i.imgur.com/k1Ba4qx.mp4

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Dark Jedi

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 11:41:34 PM »

Looks like you got it to me. Like you said, Rinse and repeat.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 12:10:36 AM »

Looks like you got it to me. Like you said, Rinse and repeat.
Thank you! Your video was very helpful.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »

Dang, I took a little beak from checking back and a lot of links got posted, I'm excited to watch all of it and pick up a thing or 10 hopefully. You guys are great, now I have additional interesting training materials... Not having a local dojo/ the right training gear for this COVID madness is absolutely detrimental to finding training partners. I'm in such a dead zone for lightsaber groups, I get the people that voiced frustration at such over the years. It's not as enriching training solely in solitude past a certain point/ duration.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 11:17:08 PM »

Dang, I took a little beak from checking back and a lot of links got posted, I'm excited to watch all of it and pick up a thing or 10 hopefully. You guys are great, now I have additional interesting training materials... Not having a local dojo/ the right training gear for this COVID madness is absolutely detrimental to finding training partners. I'm in such a dead zone for lightsaber groups, I get the people that voiced frustration at such over the years. It's not as enriching training solely in solitude past a certain point/ duration.
Now that you have your saberstaff, I am sure we would all love to see your progress as well!

On that note, here is probably my best run of my routine yet. Still room for improvement, and a few slight missteps that may well be much more noticeable to me than to others, but I am pleased with it so far:

https://i.imgur.com/tDN2NcQ.mp4

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: