Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Basic Saberstaff Forms  (Read 2549 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 12:16:44 AM »

here is probably my best run of my routine yet. Still room for improvement, and a few slight missteps that may well be much more noticeable to me than to others, but I am pleased with it so far

Funny enough the flag in the background makes for a nice touch.

I'm still warming up, my body is sore just from 2 days of light practice. Plus the dang weather keeps getting gloomy with patches of rain, and I won't risk getting my new acquisition wet and short it out. It's killing me not being able to rock and roll outside yet, but I'd be way more upset frying my lightsaber. I have to film something in the next 2 weeks for Spin Wars anyway, so I'll get something up "soon". Sadly the only thing getting owned are the light fixtures, I thought I had enough clearance setup, but the reach on this is intense (I knew this going in but stubbornly wouldn't wait to take her for a test drive). I'm getting cleaner in movement again, and refining my control. So far getting comfortable with this new beast is fun, glad for the 32" blades, even though a lamp or 2 wouldn't agree. Hopefully tomorrow will be a clear day so I can try it. I'm realizing hand position pre-coupler disconnect makes all the difference in instantaneous attacking options. And trying to iron out that reconnect. This double bladed lightsaber configuration was the perfect choice for what I wanted in my 1st "training lightsaber". I'd probably freak out holding yours with like 7" less on each blade, but God you must be able to bring it around so horrifyingly fast. I've seen the videos, but sparring against that would be intense.

I've gotten to the point that (for the most part) I wouldn't sear my fingers off or cut myself in half. I chastised myself the 3 times it grazed my shoulder, calf, and back. Retraining the mind to stay in only the center of the staff is killing me, but I mostly have it down (and haven't tucked the blade into an armpit). I'd say I'm getting the feel of it again quickly. I wish I'd been harder on myself training so I could go for more than an hour straight, but I guess I'll use the pain as motivation to train harder. I've already killed my batteries in a day though so I guess that's a good sign.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 12:38:50 AM »

Funny enough the flag in the background makes for a nice touch.

I'm still warming up, my body is sore just from 2 days of light practice. Plus the dang weather keeps getting gloomy with patches of rain, and I won't risk getting my new acquisition wet and short it out. It's killing me not being able to rock and roll outside yet, but I'd be way more upset frying my lightsaber. I have to film something in the next 2 weeks for Spin Wars anyway, so I'll get something up "soon". SO far the only thing getting owned are the light fixtures, I thought I had enough clearance setup but the reach on this is intense (I knew this going in but stubbornly wouldn't wait to take her for a test drive). I'm getting cleaner in movement again, and refining my control. So far getting comfortable with this new beast is fun, glad for the 32" blades, even though a lamp or 2 wouldn't agree. Hopefully tomorrow will be a clear day so I can try it. I'm realizing hand position pre-coupler disconnect makes all the difference in instantaneous attacking options. And trying to iron out that reconnect. This double bladed lightsaber configuration was the perfect choice for what I wanted in my 1st "training lightsaber". I'd probably freak out holding yours with like 7" less on each blade, but God you must be able to bring it around so horrifyingly fast. I've seen the videos, but sparring against that would be intense.

I've gotten to the point (for the most part) I wouldn't sear my fingers off or cut myself in half. I chastised myself the 3 times it grazed my shoulder, calf, and back. Retraining the mind to stay in only the center of the staff is killing me, but I mostly have it down (and haven't tucked the blade into an armpit). I'd say I'm getting the feel of it again quickly. I wish I'd been harder on myself training so I could go for more than an hour straight, but I guess I'll use the pain as motivation to train harder. I've already killed my batteries in a day though so I guess that's a good sign.
It is the neighbor's flag, but I agree, it is a nice touch. Soreness is to be expected with a heavy staff I'd say. I know I still have to be mindful of the length and frequency of my sessions, since my delts can end up pretty sore from extended sessions paired with heavy lifting. I know people probably wouldn't think a ~3 pound staff is really heavy, but it's over twice the weight of a lot of wood bo staffs, and even up to around 3x the weight of some of the thinner competition graphite bos. On the plus side, if/when you go back to using a standard light bo, it feels super light, and moves very fast, sort of like how you see some old photos of Babe Ruth warming up by swinging multiple bats, so when he gets up to the plate to swing only one, it feels lighter and faster.

And don't sweat clipping yourself with the blades. I still do it pretty regularly, particularly when picking up a new move, or trying to put moves together in a new sequence, or just trying to push the speed a bit. Particularly the occasional clip on the knee/thigh area when turning my body when spinning, and clipping my shoulders while doing the new over/behind the head spin. I assume that with a "real" lightsaber, one would dedicate years of training with a practice staff first, or at least practice new moves and combinations with a practice staff before attempting them with the real staff. Unless they could just obtain a Beskar suit of armor haha.

I'm glad you are pleased with the blades you picked. I'd probably be freaking out using much longer blades, particularly about hitting it on the ground doing some low spins and strikes, although I've seen some really impressive moves with longer ones, as the longer blades can look really sharp when they pick up speed. I just checked and it looks like my hilt is ~5 inches longer than yours, but you have 16" total of blade length on me, so you have 11 inches of total length on me, or 5.5 inches of reach per side. Although I suppose I could potentially mitigate that a little bit by using a more offset grip, and holding it further back towards the rear-hand blade, to push more of that long hilt towards my opponent. But I am very glad for the longer hilt, as my grip when I'm using a double overhand grip is often pretty close to the end of the hilts. But you mentioned being a bit taller than I am, so longer reach paired with a longer saber would mean I'd really have to capitalize on that increased mobility and maneuverability to close the gap. What are the rules on kicking? I assume it's frowned upon in lightsaber sparring for pretty obvious reasons, but in an actual lightsaber fight, kicking could be a very useful option, especially with a staff, as evidenced by Maul's fight in Episode 1, which is likely due to the actor's martial arts background.

Not to mention that people who only practiced against traditional lightsabers may not be prepared for it. Going up against a saberstaff is it's own challenge for someone only used to going up against single-bladed sabers, so they may think they succeeded when they manage to account for both blades, but that can leave them particularly vulnerable to a kick.

Be sure to keep us all updated with your progress!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 01:10:33 AM »

Funny you mentioned a bat, I was using my wooden sword for getting back into cutting drills, then a weighted baseball bat for strength training. Probably why the staff feels light as heck through the air, but yep it's a great way to condition the muscles for sure.

For SW universe EU (pre lightsaber training) the Sith used my favorite version of a training saber to date, a metal rod covered with venomous barbs. The pelko venom from them enters whatever part of the body it contacts and instantly paralyzes the nerves. I'm pretty sure it leaves the pain but takes away mobility, so it's brutally effective training...

That's why I am so stringent on not "making any mistakes" in movements or blade contact, so I'll look good faster on camera; but more importantly muscle memory to "never" even graze myself. Perfection is always the goal, but training my wrists and arms to their new allowed ranges of motion should help in the long run. So I don't o anything stupid in the heat of combat, like killing myself along with my opponent scoring a point. My way of training my brain out of all those potions right out of the gate, so every evolution of movement from here is more pure. I remember someone saying on that 7 forms post (and I'm paraphrasing here) "gotta tear the building down to the foundations some times and rebuild technique up from there if necessary", so I'm just cutting myself no slack since I don't have people here to say "that cut was off in angle, re position your foot" or some other thing I'm used to from a club setting. Really missing that right about now, but I'll endure and advance.

If it were me, I'd let you kick, since if I leave myself open to it I deserve it (in my opinion); also it's used enough in SW (as you say) for me to be cool with it in full contact sparring. Obviously assuming it's more so a reasonable one, not a reverse heal spin to my head. A front kick or two seem logical enough, but prepare to loose that leg if your timing is off! They really would need to use the Force to manage such a thing without an amputation occurring. "Don't try and kick me, I have the high ground!" followed by "Tis but a flesh wound..."

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 01:29:31 AM »

Funny you mentioned a bat, I was using my wooden sword for getting back into cutting drills, then a weighted baseball bat for strength training. Probably why the staff feels light as heck through the air, but yep it's a great way to condition the muscles for sure.

For SW universe EU (pre lightsaber training) the Sith used my favorite version of a training saber to date, a metal rod covered with venomous barbs. The pelko venom from them enters whatever part of the body it contacts and instantly paralyzes the nerves. I'm pretty sure it leaves the pain but takes away mobility, so it's brutally effective training...

That's why I am so stringent on not "making any mistakes" in movements or blade contact, so I'll look good faster on camera; but more importantly muscle memory to "never" even graze myself. Perfection is always the goal, but training my wrists and arms to their new allowed ranges of motion should help in the long run. So I don't o anything stupid in the heat of combat, like killing myself along with my opponent scoring a point. My way of training my brain out of all those potions right out of the gate, so every evolution of movement from here is more pure. I remember someone saying on that 7 forms post (and I'm paraphrasing here) "gotta tear the building down to the foundations some times and rebuild technique up from there if necessary", so I'm just cutting myself no slack since I don't have people here to say "that cut was off in angle, re position your foot" or some other thing I'm used to from a club setting. Really missing that right about now, but I'll endure and advance.

If it were me, I'd let you kick, since if I leave myself open to it I deserve it (in my opinion); also it's used enough in SW (as you say) for me to be cool with it in full contact sparring. Obviously assuming it's more so a reasonable one, not a reverse heal spin to my head. A front kick or two seem logical enough, but prepare to loose that leg if your timing is off! They really would need to use the Force to manage such a thing without an amputation occurring. "Don't try and kick me, I have the high ground!" followed by "Tis but a flesh wound..."
Funny you mention Sith training strategies. I was just reading the Book of Sith, and they seem to view pain as a good teacher, with Darth Bane saying of the saberstaff, "novices are likely to injure themselves while training, which will expose the flaws in their techniques. Punishment can be a great teacher."

Longer sessions can be good exercise for sure, both for the muscles and even some cardio. I consider myself fairly strong in a traditional/lifting sense (I managed 6 reps with 100lb dumbbells on incline presses recently), but weapons work is a different type of strength and endurance for sure.

I respect your strategy of building a solid foundation and ironing out kinks before advancing further. In the words of Bruce Lee, "I fear not the man who has practices 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." And speaking of kicks, yeah, I meant more just like a quick front kick, or maybe a side kick, after a block to knock the opponent off guard and/or create space. The kick would be more to open up more options to strike, not meant to be a decisive blow itself. I do agree that it would only be suited for full contact sparring with heavy gear, and of course it would only be fair if I had some form of martial arts padding on my feet, not kicking with steel toed boots or something like that. Although foot pads are really only for roundhouse type kicks, as the heel and bottom of the feet are unpadded. But kicking with a lighter soled shoe as opposed to some of the heavier/harder Star Wars style boots would probably be more ideal in a sparring session.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: