Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Preliminary Practice with Saberstaff Quick Release Coupler  (Read 769 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« on: November 29, 2020, 12:04:54 AM »

Not too long ago I obtained my first saberstaff with a Quick Release coupler. As someone with experience using a bo staff as part of my Taekwondo background, the ability to separate a staff into two sabers is totally new, and is something I've come to be rather interested in, if not particularly adept at.

I have gotten better at separating the two sabers out of a stabbing motion by identifying which side of the staff is forward using black gaffer tape on the two choke points on one side of the staff, helping me to feel which side of the staff is forward, so I know which way to manipulate the coupler.

Putting the two sabers back together quickly, however, has proven to be more challenging, as there's really no movement with momentum that leads into the move, and it's easier to pull the coupler apart quickly to detach them than it is to put them back together which, so far as I am aware, requires me to buy time by spinning the front-hand saber while I manipulate the coupler with the rear hand and hold it ready/down to accept the front saber, and then try to insert them back together properly, which requires the coupler to be held down until they are entirely together, and also for them to be inserted pretty much perfectly in-line (parallel to each other), which is surprisingly difficult while trying to make it part of an exhibition in my experience.

Anyway, here's my most successful attempts at the full routine so far. The first one being in the day time, and probably my smoothest run, and the second one being later at night, which is a bit slower, especially towards the end, as it turns out saberstaff practice can be quite the cardio workout! The moves are crisper and stronger in the first one as well I'd say.

https://i.imgur.com/lTQ3I40.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/6PP8Kc0.mp4

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 12:30:08 AM »

Nice Demo's. I agree with you. Much easier to detach than re-attach. I find using elbow position works well when re-connecting. For instance, I use the little flower technique to hide that im changing my grip and/or angle of the saber hilts so that when I bring them together they are in the same " Gate " or " Lane ". I also use locking one hand down by the hip, as if your about to sheath your sword. Recently, I've almost mastered snapping it back together at the small of my back. Once again, elbow position plays a big role in that one.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:45:01 AM »

Nice Demo's. I agree with you. Much easier to detach than re-attach. I find using elbow position works well when re-connecting. For instance, I use the little flower technique to hide that im changing my grip and/or angle of the saber hilts so that when I bring them together they are in the same " Gate " or " Lane ". I also use locking one hand down by the hip, as if your about to sheath your sword. Recently, I've almost mastered snapping it back together at the small of my back. Once again, elbow position plays a big role in that one.

Thanks. Those are some solid ideas I will experiment with. I somehow missed that you can reattach the two sabers without actually holding down the coupler "sleeve" so long as you push the two parts together with enough force. Previously I had thought I had to hold the sleeve down/ready until the two sabers were reattached, but I saw someone explaining that you can simply push them together with some amount of force, so long as they are lined up, they'll lock in place. I have not experimented much with this method, but not having to have my hand right up against and holding the sleeve should open up some more options, which is nice. I'm also thinking that from a purely exhibition perspective, not a combat one, even joining them in a slower, more deliberate yet powerful way could still look good at times, while leading to an improved consistency, at least until I am able to master it a bit more at a faster pace.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: