Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Sith WIP  (Read 30639 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 05:32:39 PM »

***UPDATE***

The soft piece for my mid-coat arrived...Off went the arms...and I thought I'd throw on the gloves.

Pretty...pretty...nice!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 04:16:41 PM »

Building my left bracer is almost done. I'm using it as a test/learning opportunity....and boy am I learning.  Roll Eyes

Even though I heat-shaped the thing before putting it together, I am hoping I can do a little bit more as it's gone flat and stiff. I'm hoping the contact cement doesn't re-activate and I go sliding all my parts off as I re-shape them a bit.

I am currently pleased with the look though. I have to add some detail in the recessed channel. I considered doing some lights...but that is beyond my current skillset. Anyone with knowledge can feel free to chime in loudly.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 03:18:56 AM »

ordered black wrap tunic (even cmes with an obi) from Amazon …

more soon…

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement. I suggest getting some foam and watching some of the great youtube videos out there. make something small and work your way up. The buckle is literally my first foam build…ever. The bracers are next and scare the poodoo out of me…also learning I suck at most math and geometry! good times ;-)

One of the things you learn with making an outfit is how flat shapes transition to "molding" to your body or wrapping around other items to make complete garments or pieces of apparel. Your geometry measurements may not be as bad as you think at first glance, it's not compensating for "unforeseen" adjustments in how it will fit VS how it's planned to. If you haven't tried sewing, tailoring, or altering wearable items in the past I can't stress how important that is in original measurements before cutting or fully assembling certain things. Even testing dimensions by cutting (replicas from) cloth pieces  to double check it before using more expensive materials. I like your bracers because I want to do something with armor that would have those kind of pieces, but I think I may mold foam or something else visually appealing over somewhat more "solid" plastic just incase I want them to be closer to more functional armor. Hell maybe make an ideal looking set with a set that looks more battle scarred that is stronger and build to be shock absorbent for sparring... Then just explain them as a "ritual armor" set and a "warfare armor" set. I keep changing small details (like color) because I want it all to have meaning based on the Sith Lord wearing it rather than just "oh, black looks cool and it's so Sith-y"...even though I'd happily go jet black. Luckily there are so many available choices to go some way that makes it your own. Like how I have wanted to get some pearlescent paint in the tones I picked; so it looks one color I want in mostly darkness, but (hopefully) adding light (but ideally even igniting my lightsaber) will show "my true colors" and make the armor seem to "come to life". Watching you guys evolve keeps kicking new ideas into my head, or reminding me of very old ones. So I thank you for sharing. If it all works out right I'll instill terror and captivate, thanks to insights evolving from these 2 outfits. Trust me I've seen my own fair share of trial and error over years of this kind of thing, but it looks like you're doing great thus far.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »

One of the things you learn with making an outfit is how flat shapes transition to "molding" to your body or wrapping around other items to make complete garments or pieces of apparel. Your geometry measurements may not be as bad as you think at first glance, it's not compensating for "unforeseen" adjustments in how it will fit VS how it's planned to. If you haven't tried sewing, tailoring, or altering wearable items in the past I can't stress how important that is in original measurements before cutting or fully assembling certain things. Even testing dimensions by cutting (replicas from) cloth pieces  to double check it before using more expensive materials. I like your bracers because I want to do something with armor that would have those kind of pieces, but I think I may mold foam or something else visually appealing over somewhat more "solid" plastic just incase I want them to be closer to more functional armor. Hell maybe make an ideal looking set with a set that looks more battle scarred that is stronger and build to be shock absorbent for sparring... Then just explain them as a "ritual armor" set and a "warfare armor" set. I keep changing small details (like color) because I want it all to have meaning based on the Sith Lord wearing it rather than just "oh, black looks cool and it's so Sith-y"...even though I'd happily go jet black. Luckily there are so many available choices to go some way that makes it your own. Like how I have wanted to get some pearlescent paint in the tones I picked; so it looks one color I want in mostly darkness, but (hopefully) adding light (but ideally even igniting my lightsaber) will show "my true colors" and make the armor seem to "come to life". Watching you guys evolve keeps kicking new ideas into my head, or reminding me of very old ones. So I thank you for sharing. If it all works out right I'll instill terror and captivate, thanks to insights evolving from these 2 outfits. Trust me I've seen my own fair share of trial and error over years of this kind of thing, but it looks like you're doing great thus far.
How strong would you have to make your armor for it to not only not break/deform during sparring, but also to be "functional" to lessen the impact of being hit while sparring? Makes me consider picking up some of the padded martial arts forearm and elbow guards. Would steel gauntlets be overkill? I know they'd offer superior protection, but would it be better to have a plastic or padded material so it doesn't damage the opposing saber "blade" that hits it, as opposed to it hitting solid steel? I see some sites have pretty cool steel bracers/gauntlets for not insane prices, so assuming one of them matches your style, or can be slightly modified or painted to match it, perhaps that's an option as well if you want the ultimate in functionality?

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »

How strong would you have to make your armor for it to not only not break/deform during sparring, but also to be "functional" to lessen the impact of being hit while sparring? Makes me consider picking up some of the padded martial arts forearm and elbow guards. Would steel gauntlets be overkill? I know they'd offer superior protection, but would it be better to have a plastic or padded material so it doesn't damage the opposing saber "blade" that hits it, as opposed to it hitting solid steel? I see some sites have pretty cool steel bracers/gauntlets for not insane prices, so assuming one of them matches your style, or can be slightly modified or painted to match it, perhaps that's an option as well if you want the ultimate in functionality?

Yea, I thought through most of those options either for appearance or function. Ironically although I want metal (up to a point) because that is reminiscent of older style Sith battle armor, it'd probably be bad for some reasons like those you mention. I don't want metal dented from impacts, or the finish of it/opposing saber getting tarnished from repeated strikes. Like you were saying about those MA forearm guards, maybe integrating them in/underneath to dampen the felt force, they even sell those kind of pads relatively cheaply on their own and in small enough sizes to sew into something larger. At this point I'm considering even making a large portion of pvc pipe (possibly different sized segments) cut to slip my wrist through, then adjusting that 2" gap to the underarm area. With pads affixed inside and the whole length leather bound, some holes pre drilled through opposing sides to bind them with a "rope/string" I thread through. Keep the whole over covering like a tight fitting sleeve the armor insert can slide in and out of, velcro tab that wraps over rear portion, so I can separate them for cleaning or airdrying. This is why I keep adjusting my design to suit needed materials or innovations. Like washable fabrics vs dry cleaned, adding or removing snaps, zippers, details. I'm trying to get the whole concept concrete before buying materials beyond what I already have on hand, so I don't waste any cash knowing my ideas grow around problems and with different insights.

I want metal badly so I might make the visual only Ritual Set metal and the Combat Set hardened plastic padded inside. Like a custom set of up armored kendo wrist guards, for improved dexterity and defense. Might segment the pieces together, but that'll take a tad more planning to explain the layering in detail. Think pre molded deflecting armor pieces attaching to/over a padded shirt/vest. Locking in as layers externally like a partial carapace type of layer. Goal always being safety without major mobility restriction or flexibility loss.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 06:08:08 PM »

You guys scare me with the "metal" armor stuff...I just want to look cool. I'd last less than 30 seconds in an actual fight. LOL

I think I am going to bevel the edges on the top parts of my gauntlet. Dremel-style....

I am fighting myself with trying to either add some simple lighting to that channel in the gauntlets or just add some kind of foam detail. Either way, I want to utilize the Sith Eternal logo in the circular portion. I just can't figure out how to keep a nice slim profile on that channel if I did some Red LED's, diffusion and maybe an over layer....and then where the heck does the battery pack go? Such are my questions....

Thanks for the suggestions and support!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »

You guys scare me with the "metal" armor stuff...I just want to look cool. I'd last less than 30 seconds in an actual fight. LOL

I think I am going to bevel the edges on the top parts of my gauntlet. Dremel-style....

I am fighting myself with trying to either add some simple lighting to that channel in the gauntlets or just add some kind of foam detail. Either way, I want to utilize the Sith Eternal logo in the circular portion. I just can't figure out how to keep a nice slim profile on that channel if I did some Red LED's, diffusion and maybe an over layer....and then where the heck does the battery pack go? Such are my questions....

Good to hear, terror has always been a goal for me with my outfit. Plus, even if it's not for actual combat it just looks great, like it is "made for it" even if it really isn't. But in truth it's kinda expensive or difficult to make sadly. I agree totally on details integrated when you want the look to fit some creative idea. One of the other reasons I'm tempted toward at least some layers of metal to try engraving or etching some detail. I mean ancient Sith weapons/armor is dang near always cursed, enchanted, or drives people insane. The more of this I can integrate the more authentic in my opinion. I'm almost driving myself crazy planning and making it so I must be succeeding in theory. That lighting idea sounds cool, can't wait to see who can help with info integrating that in...

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 07:15:31 PM »

Yea, I thought through most of those options either for appearance or function. Ironically although I want metal (up to a point) because that is reminiscent of older style Sith battle armor, it'd probably be bad for some reasons like those you mention. I don't want metal dented from impacts, or the finish of it/opposing saber getting tarnished from repeated strikes. Like you were saying about those MA forearm guards, maybe integrating them in/underneath to dampen the felt force, they even sell those kind of pads relatively cheaply on their own and in small enough sizes to sew into something larger. At this point I'm considering even making a large portion of pvc pipe (possibly different sized segments) cut to slip my wrist through, then adjusting that 2" gap to the underarm area. With pads affixed inside and the whole length leather bound, some holes pre drilled through opposing sides to bind them with a "rope/string" I thread through. Keep the whole over covering like a tight fitting sleeve the armor insert can slide in and out of, velcro tab that wraps over rear portion, so I can separate them for cleaning or airdrying. This is why I keep adjusting my design to suit needed materials or innovations. Like washable fabrics vs dry cleaned, adding or removing snaps, zippers, details. I'm trying to get the whole concept concrete before buying materials beyond what I already have on hand, so I don't waste any cash knowing my ideas grow around problems and with different insights.

I want metal badly so I might make the visual only Ritual Set metal and the Combat Set hardened plastic padded inside. Like a custom set of up armored kendo wrist guards, for improved dexterity and defense. Might segment the pieces together, but that'll take a tad more planning to explain the layering in detail. Think pre molded deflecting armor pieces attaching to/over a padded shirt/vest. Locking in as layers externally like a partial carapace type of layer. Goal always being safety without major mobility restriction or flexibility loss.
About the martial arts forearm pads, I just found one that has elbow and forearm pads, and also inner forearm pads, which is pretty rare. They even say it's "ideal for weapons training."

As for metal options, Medieval Collectibles seems to have a LOT of "functional" steel bracers. You'd just have to try to find the right balance of medieval/fantasy/etc. that matches your desired aesthetic. They also have a wide variety of leather-based bracers/gauntlets, although I don't know how much protection or cushioning form blunt impact they provide.

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/product-category/armour/functional-armour/functional-arm-armour/functional-arm-bracers/

Some potentially interesting designs:

At under $40 for the pair, these may be cool:

These may be too plain, but they're only $30:

They have more exotic and fantasy style ones for upwards of $60, $80, or even $100 too.

These Samurai bracers are awesome, but $136, so quite pricey:

These are more basic, and cheaper, but $70 for a pair still isn't exactly cheap:

At $45-50 for a pair in a variety of color options, these may be cool too:

Potentially even some chest/torso armor would be cool. Century, the same people that make the martial arts forearm/elbow pads, actually have some relatively sci-fi looking chest gear too:

It's not exactly cheap though, and actual steel breastplates seem to run upwards of $100 even just for something pretty plain. Leather chest/torso pieces are also an option for a bit less money, but not much less, especially for more intricate designs.

Although I don't know how much you'd actually need a functional chest plate/armor unless you plan on doing some heavy sparring. I'd think arm protection would be paramount over torso protection?

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »

Haha. You've seen my current outfit. I don't have any gauntlets, forget armor. Unless you count canvas forearm wraps haha. I just like thinking about things in advance and potential future routes to go.

Lights would be awesome in your gauntlets, but I'd be of no help with ideas for making them work, and not giant. And I'd imagine making them handle even mild sparring while lighting up and not being huge would be even more challenging? Definitely cool to see you custom making things though!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 05:35:39 PM »

***UPDATE***

OK...while it's not made of  STEEL.....This is coming along nicely! I put in some temporary Velcro Dots to be able to close it (notice the seam cover on the bottom). I did a little bit of beveling (that was an adventure) with my Dremel and it does look much nicer. What do you think so far? I can't wait to start filling seams and getting to some detail work and paint.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »

***UPDATE***

OK...while it's not made of  STEEL.....This is coming along nicely! I put in some temporary Velcro Dots to be able to close it (notice the seam cover on the bottom). I did a little bit of beveling (that was an adventure) with my Dremel and it does look much nicer. What do you think so far? I can't wait to start filling seams and getting to some detail work and paint.

That looks great! Awesome work so far. And I couldn’t imagine trying to make a design that custom and intricate out of steel unless you were a professional smith or something like that. So good call on not going that route.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »

I thought it looked really cool before seeing it worn on an arm, but it looks like it fits really well, and I like the looks of the edges. Pretty savage, can't wait to see how it looks painted, although I'm already a bit impressed with the workmanship thus far. What kind of paint and application process you going to use? It's been great watching this piece come together, you completed one bracer assembly and refining it prior to constructing the other right? (right now seeing it worn as black on black reminds me of Death Troopers, which is also never a bad thing) Eagerly awaiting next stages toward completion!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 03:22:25 AM »

current plan for painting is several coats of plasti-dip followed by some dry brushed edges with flat steel or gunmetal.If I don't go for the addition of some LED lights, then there will be a red Sith Eternal emblem in the circular space. Final bit will be some sludgy brown for an oily weathered look.

I just mapped out some further details with a pen and I'll use a wood burning tool (after purchase) to add them before paint.

Next step…seam filling

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 03:21:29 AM »

I should be getting my Sith tunic & obi tomorrow…

Stand by for update…

I did some mapping out of details for my bracer in pen (it looks so awesome with that alone) Need to pick up a woodburning tool to execute the design.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: