Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Sith WIP  (Read 30533 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: December 01, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

OK! So it is time to open this thread up! I'm working on a custom Sith character costume and work is in-progress. I figure I can take everyone from concept to completion and chronicle the ups and downs of creating your own costume (within reasonable monetary limits....ok...I'm cheap!)

Let's start out with the "concept" phase. Below is the link to my Google Drive folder with all of the bits 'n bobs that I have collected so far that will comprise my costume.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OqnJ4-jrlCbvf54L4rBXPayq5Z_ng1ve?usp=sharing

Construction has begun on the following pieces:
(btw...EVA foam is a bit more tricky than I anticipated....)
1) EVA Foam bracers
2) EVA Foam Belt Buckle (Lord Starkiller inspired)

I currently just received the gloves and am awaiting the outer tunic.
I have my "Dark Apprentice" saber (see links in signature below for that build). I have added an "unstable" look to the the blade with some silicone caulking (it looks nice!)

The helmet displayed is not the final idea. I am looking to mash together this with some ideas gleaned from Darth Vindican's helmet stylings. Should yield an excellent result!

So...Here we go! Feel free to comment!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Cecil_sith19
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 04:15:58 PM »

OK! So it is time to open this thread up! I'm working on a custom Sith character costume and work is in-progress. I figure I can take everyone from concept to completion and chronicle the ups and downs of creating your own costume (within reasonable monetary limits....ok...I'm cheap!)

Let's start out with the "concept" phase. Below is the link to my Google Drive folder with all of the bits 'n bobs that I have collected so far that will comprise my costume.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OqnJ4-jrlCbvf54L4rBXPayq5Z_ng1ve?usp=sharing

Construction has begun on the following pieces:
(btw...EVA foam is a bit more tricky than I anticipated....)
1) EVA Foam bracers
2) EVA Foam Belt Buckle (Lord Starkiller inspired)

I currently just received the gloves and am awaiting the outer tunic.
I have my "Dark Apprentice" saber (see links in signature below for that build). I have added an "unstable" look to the the blade with some silicone caulking (it looks nice!)

The helmet displayed is not the final idea. I am looking to mash together this with some ideas gleaned from Darth Vindican's helmet stylings. Should yield an excellent result!

So...Here we go! Feel free to comment!
OOOOO you have a Dark Apprentice!? I just got my Dark Apprentice v5 in the mail yesterday what does yours look like? Also love that your taking everyone on the journey with you I myself plan on making a with costume as well.

My collection: Dark Apprentice V5 in blue violet amethyst with the Dark Dorinian pommel and black av switch, Aeon v3 LE in Consular green with silver av switch, prophecy v3 in blazing red with silver av switch, Aeon v4 with emitter windows in guardian blue with silver as switch.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »

Dark Apprentice is just the name I gave my saber. It's actually a Dominix V2 in Red and then customized. See links in my signature.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »

In the words of the Senate himself, "we will watch your career with great interest."

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:22:56 PM »

In the words of the Senate himself, "we will watch your career with great interest."

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:52:21 PM »

Starkller Belt Buckle Mk.II is coming along nicely...

2 coats plasti-dip. I don't think I am going to try the hand hammered paint again from the previous attempt. I will just weather it. Note the unintended pits and texture. #HappyAccident

...stupid blurry camera

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »

In other news:

Here is the beginning of my left Bracer (learning as I go so the Right one is easier to put together)

I started with a basic bracer shape (thank you Foam Cave) in 6mm EVA Foam and added a 2mm underlayer to help with placement of the larger 6mm shapes. Those aren't glued down yet but I put them in place for effect. Comment....be brutal....

I'm thinking velcro to close the bottom or maybe a zipper.....thoughts?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Cecil_sith19
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »

I think you should definitely do Velcro over a zipper as the zipper would be difficult to install and most likely fall off easily. So far looks good though man, keep going and you’ll have them done in no time.

My collection: Dark Apprentice v5, Aeon v3 LE, prophecy v3, Aeon v4.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 11:55:54 PM »

duly noted. I think I can get a more snug fit at the seam with the velcro too

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »

Starkiller inspired belt buckle (MK-II)

Here is the current progress on the buckle. Finished painting the color parts and some initial weathering. The foam must have been set down on something pebbly as there are a bunch of fine indents. So, I used some gunmetal paint on some of the larger indents. Looks like it's been through something already....that's turning lemons into lemonade :-D

The buttons are way too bright and the next round of weathering should knock down that some. It's time for some dry-brushing and then a nice grime wash to complete before the final matte clear coat.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »

Here is the beginning of my left Bracer (learning as I go so the Right one is easier to put together)

I started with a basic bracer shape (thank you Foam Cave) in 6mm EVA Foam and added a 2mm underlayer to help with placement of the larger 6mm shapes.

Is that the type of foam that you use a heat gun or heat source to mold?

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »

Is that the type of foam that you use a heat gun or heat source to mold?

Not exactly. These are EVA Foam sheets. I cut out all parts and the "buttons" and knobs and such and used heat to open the slits in the faders. You can use a heat gun to do some basic bending and shaping though.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »

I think I should stop with this much. I think it looks right.

and here is MK-I (top) vs. MK-II (bottom).

I'd say MK-II is the clear winner!

All that is left is a matte clear-coat and to attach some velcro to fasten it to a belt...

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 08:59:03 PM »

Not exactly. These are EVA Foam sheets. I cut out all parts and the "buttons" and knobs and such and used heat to open the slits in the faders. You can use a heat gun to do some basic bending and shaping though.
Awesome, appreciate the clarification. I saw the original posts as you made them and modifications here, side by side mk 1 just looks a bit faded like you took a grenade hit... it really depends on color of final outfit but I see what you're saying. Maybe having a big paper cutter would help, like one of those with a huge lever to make one hard straight/clean line. I've done cuts by hand before with scissors and it's all about executing in one action, to make it have less deviation. I also bought some good "fabric" scissors from a clothing material store. Ross, Jo Annes, Michaels, that type of place. Drawing lines is of course useful, but you have to just knuckle down and commit without any hesitation. I worked with a lot of vinyl "free hand" and almost no one does that... but it's possible even if a little nerve wracking, so I bet foam is a bit harder but do-able. I want to make some Saiyan armor so I'm watching you with piqued interest. Although I will likely integrate Sith Armor as well so it will help either way. -1 point for your efforts.

That actually brings to mind a question, is the foam impact resistant without warping? For instance if I mold some over shin guards or arm guards that are hardened plastic, do you know if the foam cracks or ruptures from impacts once it sets or does it reform to it's shape without incident? I don't imagine it's brittle like styro-foam.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 03:41:45 AM »

I wwouldn't ecommend doing ay sparring with this. Once it is heat formed it keeps its shape well and still has the same texture. Think gym mats (same stuff) its not going to protect you…just make you look snaz.zy.  any repeated blows will ruin your paint job or damage the piece.

Thanks for the encouragement. I ssuggest getting some foam and watching some of the great youtube videos out there. make something small and work your way up. The buckle is literally my first foam build…ever. The bracers are next and scare the poodoo out of me…also learning I suck at most math and geometry! good times ;-)

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: