Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New sabers with charging ports: the Archon charger flashes red  (Read 648 times)
LoogieBob
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: December 02, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »

When using the charging ports for the Archon and  Savior, the Archon saber causes the charger to continually flash red.

The Svior was steady red, and later turned green.

I swapped the chargers, and they both exhibit this behavior with the Archon.

I think there may be a problem.  Anyone run into this issue?

LoogieBob
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »

Strange, there is no edit button.

Anyway, here is an update.

To recap,  my son's Archon (and my Savior) arrived a few days ago.

When I connected the charger to the charging port on the Savior, the charge indicator went from green to red, and charged the saber without issue.

When I connected the charger to the Archon's port, the charging indicator, continuously flashed red.

I tried both chargers, and both worked ok with the Savior but not the Archon.

I swapped the batteries between sabers, and the behavior was unchanged.  All four batteries also charged via the stand-alone charger.

I replaced the batteries in the Archon and it stopped working.
I pulled the battery carrier again, inspected the wiring/electronics, and didn't see any issue.

I reinstalled the batteries, and received the "obsidian" declaration.
Upon pushing the carrier back into the hilt, I thought I saw a tiny spark jump from the carrier/electronics to the hilt.
I'm not 100% on this.

Again the saber was dead.

It seemed like reseating the batteries didn't reliably bring the saber to life, so I assumed the issue was intermittent due to a wire being moved.

I pulled the carrier again, reseated the batteries, moved things around a bit and got the obsidian declaration.
I pushed the carrier back into the hilt, and the saber ignited ok.

I pulled the emitter tube, slid the emitter/heat sink out, and discovered a white wire was severely pinched.  I took a picture (I'll try to post it).
The insulation was intact on one side of the pinch, but the conductor was exposed on the other.  Some of the conductor appeared to be severed.

I wrapped the pinched wire with silicone tape to prevent folding or shorting and put everything back together.

It seems to work fine now.

When connected to the charging port, the charge indicator is glowing steady red, which I assume means it is charging.

I will give it a little while to see what happens.
If all seems fine I plan to cut the wire and solder it back together.

For reference, I'm a former master mechanic, and have an electronics background, but I'm a bit out of practice regarding my soldering skills.
As long as I can pull enough of the wire harness out to allow room for the procedure, I should be fine.

I emailed Ultrasabers as well to alert them of the issue, in case my repair was incidental, and ineffective.

Bob

LoogieBob
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »

I tried in vain to figure out how to edit my post above so I could post a picture. 

Hopefully this works.  Preview just shows the links without the image...

[/url][/img]

Bob

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »

Cutting  and reconnecting that wire looks to be the correct course of action. Form one mechanic (21 years armored combat vehicle mechanic here) to another, your troubleshooting looks spot on. It's what I would do first and I've been wiring, rewiring, and repairing sabers for a few years now.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff