Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Apprentice v4 Staff and Initiate v4 Unboxing  (Read 710 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« on: December 12, 2020, 12:29:55 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cfcQ0heGIk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cfcQ0heGIk</a>

They just arrived, and I'm crazy excited and rather pleased with the outcome. Ordered the Dark Apprentice v4 Staff in a stunt configuration. Opted for basic Adegan Silver with the color discs (since it's my first purchase and it's mostly a practice saber). Bought the heavy grade 32" blades. Added in pommel upgrades of Dark Shock, Dark Catalyst, and a QR coupler. It's exactly how I customized and envisioned it (although I didn't remove and measure the blades yet they seem right). I threw the covertech wheels on both hilts incase I want to wear them separated, and opted for the seemingly "odd" placement to the rear of AV switches because I was more interested in keeping them out of my way when wielding the saberstaff VS the ideal way I'd want them hanging separately. Function won out over wear-ability, figuring I'll train with this one more than occasional cosplay/conventions will occur.

Initiate v4 was what I got from the FreeInitiate: Grabbag, it has a windowed emitter, black AV switch, and a glorious red blade! No sound, but a blade several inches longer than the Apprentice. So I'm guessing they hooked me up with a 36" blade which is fine by me. Although I can't tell if it's the heavy ultra edge or normal ultra edge upon inspection, I doubt it'll make a huge difference in durability.

I love that I got a truly red blade out of the deal, it's a better bargain than I was expecting. With the black (non illuminated) AV switch it looks great now that I traded out the standard silver pommel it came with for the black and silver Dark Shock I ordered. It's almost my favorite one surprisingly since it has real character to it. I'm thinking I'll add some custom paint as a finishing touch in the three largest grooves. Adding a little more black to make it look a bit sinister. And I have yet to add in the color discs to test which I like most/ see the real life visual comparison between a red disc and red LED. It's so worth it to me having been a huge KOTOR fan to be able to switch up my blade colors when I feel like it. Like my Force alignment could almost be a sliding scale based on my mood (though really it's usually just different shades of the Dark Side.) This was completely worth the price and the wait, so Merry Christmas to me... I open my presents early! Heck I think I'll throw in a green color disc, or green on one end and red on the other to celebrate and be festive through years end! Thank you Ultrasabers for satisfying this customer.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 12:50:44 AM »

Congratulations! Glad to see you got them. I always love a saberstaff wielder, be they Jedi, Sith, or neither. I'm sure you'll love them.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 01:11:58 AM »

Congratulations! Glad to see you got them. I always love a saberstaff wielder, be they Jedi, Sith, or neither. I'm sure you'll love them.

Oh it was love at first ignite. I keep turning them on flourishing a bit and then off again just because I know it's a waste of battery. I can't wait to truly test them out a bit. Thus far I can intuitively track which side is QR release, but we'll see if that holds up throughout more intense drills. The only thing I don't like is mentally avoiding the tendency to rotate the hilts independently (while connected) in the "wrong" directions and slowly unscrewing the coupler. Another thing I'll have to train myself to avoid doing, or buying some pipe threading tape to improve the coupler "hold" a bit inside the hilt. I don't think it'll have a lasting ill effect or create any problems I can foresee. Also the coupler shape/protrusion is a little awkward doing one handed spinning or transitions but not horrible. It is simple enough to disconnect and (for lack of a better term) slap them back together pretty easily. They couple back with minimal force, as you suggested, and I can see it becoming more fluid. I feel my "accidental disconnect" looming in the near future though... Thanks for the videos and info before I got mine, it gave me a real running start with considerably less trial and error.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 01:56:57 AM »

Oh it was love at first ignite. I keep turning them on flourishing a bit and then off again just because I know it's a waste of battery. I can't wait to truly test them out a bit. Thus far I can intuitively track which side is QR release, but we'll see if that holds up throughout more intense drills. The only thing I don't like is mentally avoiding the tendency to rotate the hilts independently (while connected) in the "wrong" directions and slowly unscrewing the coupler. Another thing I'll have to train myself to avoid doing, or buying some pipe threading tape to improve the coupler "hold" a bit inside the hilt. I don't think it'll have a lasting ill effect or create any problems I can foresee. Also the coupler shape/protrusion is a little awkward doing one handed spinning or transitions but not horrible. It is simple enough to disconnect and (for lack of a better term) slap them back together pretty easily. They couple back with minimal force, as you suggested, and I can see it becoming more fluid. I feel my "accidental disconnect" looming in the near future though... Thanks for the videos and info before I got mine, it gave me a real running start with considerably less trial and error.
Glad I could be of some assistance. I had not thought about a way to keep the coupler from slowly/slightly unscrewing form the hilts if they are rotated while using them, which has happened a few times. That is, I do tighten it a bit during longer practices every so often, but I've never had it being close to actually entirely unscrewing itself, at least not that I'm aware of. I agree that the QR coupler can be a bit of a nuisance when doing moves that involve holding the direct center, but man, that quick release potential is worth it. Not to mention being able to easily split it in half to attach to a belt. Looking forward to seeing and hearing how you like them and improve your skills with them!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: