Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Modern Jedi Look  (Read 5218 times)
ModernAnakinSkywalker
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« on: December 13, 2020, 05:20:09 AM »

Do we think Jedi in our world would wear suits? I am putting together a modern anakin look and cant helo but think jedi would wear shells. For the tabbards, would a vest or a scarf work better? Wouls the outer robe be better as a shirt or jacket?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »

Probably a vest for tabbard look then maybe a shirt with a hood for the robe look

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 03:39:01 PM »

A tuxedo. Obviously.

RyanKenobi
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »

My impression is that a Jedi needs to blend in with the surroundings, and be unremarkable until the need to light a saber arises. 

With that in mind, the clothing the Jedi wears should adjust with the environment.  Hanging out in a normal indoor public area like a mall, bar, gym, etc., tennis shoes, jeans and a non-descript hooded sweatshirt will be completely inconspicuous.  Walking around outside in the winter could probably use the exact same getup as previous, and add a long trench coat and potentially a hat, scarf, and gloves.  Inside a standard business would probably require something a bit different.  Most businesses don't have employees wearing suits these days, but a button up shirt and slacks should be enough to blend in.  Still would need something to conceal the saber, so probably a cheap sport coat on top of that.

And of course, if going to a Star Wars convention, the standard Jedi Robe will fit in perfectly.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »

My impression is that a Jedi needs to blend in with the surroundings, and be unremarkable until the need to light a saber arises. 

With that in mind, the clothing the Jedi wears should adjust with the environment.  Hanging out in a normal indoor public area like a mall, bar, gym, etc., tennis shoes, jeans and a non-descript hooded sweatshirt will be completely inconspicuous.  Walking around outside in the winter could probably use the exact same getup as previous, and add a long trench coat and potentially a hat, scarf, and gloves.  Inside a standard business would probably require something a bit different.  Most businesses don't have employees wearing suits these days, but a button up shirt and slacks should be enough to blend in.  Still would need something to conceal the saber, so probably a cheap sport coat on top of that.

And of course, if going to a Star Wars convention, the standard Jedi Robe will fit in perfectly.
I'd wager it depends on their mission and objective. Sometimes going unnoticed is desirable, in which case you'd want to blend in with your surroundings, but sometimes Jedi want to be identifiable as such, as, for a lack of a better word, a peacekeeping force. Weren't Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan pretty identifiable as Jedi in Episode 1? At least during the "negotiations" at the beginning of the film. And now that I think about it, maybe it was the lightsaber that gave away to young Anakin that Qui-Gon was a Jedi, not his robes? They'd want to wear something that always allows for optimal mobility and freedom of movement, so if they were wearing jeans, they'd have to be special athletic/stretchy jeans, which are a thing. A solid tactical/duty belt would be a wise addition too, even if it's not visible, to hold various items, including a lightsaber. I think some form of work/combat boots may also be more optimal than tennis shoes, so long as they're not going somewhere "undercover" where they would stand out too much wearing any of the above.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

ModernAnakinSkywalker
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »

Im pretty sufe they would wear a suit hoodies are kinda trashy I never wear them for this reason

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »

Im pretty sufe they would wear a suit hoodies are kinda trashy I never wear them for this reason

Hoodies are practical and comfortable.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 11:43:18 PM »

I don't think the Jedi's default outfit would be a suit. Looking at the book "The Jedi Path," the Jedi uniform is discussed a few times.

First in the "Introduction to the Order" chapter, specifically the "Attire and Comportment" section. It says "the dress of a Jedi Initiate is essentially that of a Jedi Padawan, Knight, or Master." So the general idea of what goes here will stand for a Jedi Knight and even a Jedi Master.

It says that the outfit "will identify you as a Jedi... the same clothes you consider ordinary will be a symbol. People will approach you looking for wisdom. Others will beg you to fight their enemies. And others will attack you."

So it seems to me that the default or standard Jedi outfit would be something that makes it clear they are Jedi, so a generic suit would NOT do this in my opinion. They'd just look like a businessman, or any number of other people wearing a suit for any number of reasons.

Later in the "Padawan Attire and Conduct" section, it says "your uniform is another outward symbol of your status. It is made of humble, tough fabric." And the "hooded robe makes it... suited for travel and exposure to the elements."

So you want something that identifies you as a Jedi to others, although you may have occasions where you would want to go unnoticed, but that's not your standard uniform. Not anymore than an undercover cop's standard uniform is whatever fits in where they're undercover. You also want something that is "humble and tough," an "suited for travel and exposure to the elements." I don't think a suit really fits this description, as it isn't particularly identifiable. Or particularly humble, and, while a Jedi's standard attire is layered like a suit, it's generally more equipped for the elements and I'd imagine more breathable than a normal suit would be.

Sorry that this didn't really give you any specifics to what a modern Jedi outfit IS, but by helping decide perhaps what it is NOT, you can narrow down what exactly it is you are looking for.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

ModernAnakinSkywalker
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 07:36:35 AM »

I do not believe they woudl wear militaru gear and cargo shorts since jedi are traditionally peaceful but they would dress well even if not a suit

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »

I do not believe they woudl wear militaru gear and cargo shorts since jedi are traditionally peaceful but they would dress well even if not a suit

They're an order of peacekeeping monks. So almost a combination of your traditional Buddhist monk martial artists and, say, the UN Peacekeepers (but with actual teeth, and their own governing/ruling body, not just a collection of people from every country, or in this case, planet, calling the shots). The outfit often relates to the perception of the group as well as the function of the group. They're essentially a religious order of monks. They are intended to be humble, so they won't be wearing something super flashy, and they're peacekeepers, sometimes historically even soldiers, so they'd also want to wear something functional for combat purposes, even if they would add some additional "armor" when going into an actual war. Again, I'm not saying what they would wear, only some general principles I've seen in movies, shows, and even books that directly deal with the topic.

They WOULD want their default uniform to make it known they are Jedi, so a standard suit, or business professional attire would not accomplish that, as they'd just look like any number of professionals in the world. They'd need something that makes it clear that they're members of what is essentially a religious order of martial artist monks. We are all entitled to our opinions, and to disagree on this point, but I think the movies make it pretty clear that members of the Jedi Order stood out and were pretty easily identified as such. And the book, The Jedi Path, which is literally written as an instruction/introduction manual for a new Jedi, explicitly says that the Jedi's outfit is intended to make them recognizable as Jedi, and also to be humble and functional.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »

They WOULD want their default uniform to make it known they are Jedi, so a standard suit, or business professional attire would not accomplish that, as they'd just look like any number of professionals in the world. They'd need something that makes it clear that they're members of what is essentially a religious order of martial artist monks. We are all entitled to our opinions, and to disagree on this point, but I think the movies make it pretty clear that members of the Jedi Order stood out and were pretty easily identified as such. And the book, The Jedi Path, which is literally written as an instruction/introduction manual for a new Jedi, explicitly says that the Jedi's outfit is intended to make them recognizable as Jedi, and also to be humble and functional.

This.  Not really like a soldier in BDU/ACUs, but not a suit either.  As a monastic order, I agree with SLaL, think monks from Kung Fu movies, or what Bruce Lee wore in a lot of his movies.  Or event Jet Lee wearing the more "traditional" Chinese clothing.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:48 PM »

This.  Not really like a soldier in BDU/ACUs, but not a suit either.  As a monastic order, I agree with SLaL, think monks from Kung Fu movies, or what Bruce Lee wore in a lot of his movies.  Or event Jet Lee wearing the more "traditional" Chinese clothing.

Good points. Now that you mention Kung Fu type outfits, maybe what Donnie Yen's character, Chirrut Imwe, wore in Rogue One would be a good reference point for what martial artists may wear in the Star Wars universe:

Which isn't horribly dissimilar from a Sci-Fi version of a traditional Kung Fu outfit, that, say Donnie Yen also wore in Ip Man:

Or even a Shaolin Monk, but with an extra layer maybe, and some form of utility belt/strap:

When you think about it, when you see a Buddhist monk, even in a mall or city, they still wear their traditional attire, even if it makes them stand out. In fact, it's pretty evident that the Jedi intended for their outfits to stand out.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »

Good points. Now that you mention Kung Fu type outfits, maybe what Donnie Yen's character, Chirrut Imwe, wore in Rogue One would be a good reference point for what martial artists may wear in the Star Wars universe:

Which isn't horribly dissimilar from a Sci-Fi version of a traditional Kung Fu outfit, that, say Donnie Yen also wore in Ip Man:

Or even a Shaolin Monk, but with an extra layer maybe, and some form of utility belt/strap:

When you think about it, when you see a Buddhist monk, even in a mall or city, they still wear their traditional attire, even if it makes them stand out. In fact, it's pretty evident that the Jedi intended for their outfits to stand out.

All of this.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

RyanKenobi
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 10:39:02 PM »

In that case, I am changing my answer.  A humble outfit that works anywhere and stands out sounds exactly like what my profile pic is dressed like.  Add in some form of coat when not in combat so that he can remain comfortable.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »

In that case, I am changing my answer.  A humble outfit that works anywhere and stands out sounds exactly like what my profile pic is dressed like.  Add in some form of coat when not in combat so that he can remain comfortable.
I think that's pretty fair. Individual Jedi attire seems to have changed a fair bit when individuals wanted it to. See Ob-Wan vs Anakin, or even what Quinlan Vos wore, which was a sleeveless look, even in battle, as is your profile picture.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: