Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Dueling with Three Blades  (Read 9267 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »

But heck, you're used to a shorter saberstaff overall than I deal with, so given your experience I bet you'd become proficient in this faster than I likely would. I wouldn't count yourself out yet unless you really don't find it interesting enough to pursue. You've got mad skills after all.
Thanks. I suppose I could try to get used to it, particularly since I'd be using one of the two more defensively than trying a hyper-offensive style with both where I'd have to be moving them both at insane speeds at the same time. I do find it very interesting, but I don't have two sabers. Maybe I just use one saberpike (6' length) and one standard saber? That wouldn't fly with Saber Legion, although it may with Rogue Saber? That could pretty fun.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 09:27:02 PM »

I just had a thought with regards to fulfilling the "Less than 16 inches" hilt rule:

In saberstaffs, hilts are normally coupled in a linear fashion (pommel to pommel).  What if instead, they are joined in a parallel arrangement (emitter to pommel on both ends)?

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 10:25:58 PM »

I just had a thought with regards to fulfilling the "Less than 16 inches" hilt rule:

In saberstaffs, hilts are normally coupled in a linear fashion (pommel to pommel).  What if instead, they are joined in a parallel arrangement (emitter to pommel on both ends)?

I like the train of thought, that would be different to see/wield indeed, and it might fit under those guidelines... I'm wracking my brain trying to think if I've seen something quite like that before either. I can't imagine it being ergonomic in the slightest but with hands gripping opposing sides I could see it possibly working. There are also some with more ergonomic grips or styles that I could see being welded together or something to suit this design. Necessity being the mother of invention definitely pushed you toward creating a rather Frankensaber idea there for sure.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 10:38:24 PM »

I wonder if this can be pulled off using the simpler Initiate designs and some PVC pipe joints.  If I didn't already have a custom project planned, I would give it a shot, lol.  Ah well, maybe if I get to buy another pair in the future.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 12:21:15 AM »

Hmm. I'd imagine it would be rather difficult to properly hold firmly, yet alone spin or maneuver well. But I suppose if you securely adhered them together that way, perhaps it could work, particularly if you wrapped them together as to appear more like a single thick hilt, with blades coming out either end that are just a little bit offset from the center.
I wonder if this can be pulled off using the simpler Initiate designs and some PVC pipe joints.  If I didn't already have a custom project planned, I would give it a shot, lol.  Ah well, maybe if I get to buy another pair in the future.
I'd imagine that the two hilts would have to be in contact with each other for this to be even considered a single-hilt, not just two sabers. So I don't think you'd be able to use some sort of fitting to put a gap between them and have them parallel but not in contact with each other, although that would potentially be more ergonomic than a super fat single hilt consisting of two hilts in direct contact with each other. Almost like the folded version of Rey's saberstaff, where the hilts were parallel but separated, except in this instance, the blades would face in opposite directions instead of the same, which means it wouldn't extend/unfold to form a staff, since it would already be a staff of sorts as is.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 12:46:42 AM »

I'm tempted to draw up some designs of how I think it could work in a few different styles. But the way I see it, it wouldn't really be able to spin like a true staff. And the wielder would have to keep both hands on it to manipulate it well, unless it does have a central gap space with finger fitting grooves of a sort. Then you could take one hand away and wield it with relative proficiency. Or if the joining point between the hilts simply leaves enough of a depression to grasp firmly with a hard claw grip type of hold... it's a fun concept, and in my mind's eye it looks supremely Sith. But of course that's just because that's the software my brain runs on, it could as easily look like an Echani or High Republic looking hilt too.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 02:22:38 AM »

Yeah, when I envisioned this design, I was thinking of a gap between the parallel hilts for fingers.  It wouldn't make for the most spinny weapon, but then, when I was using a staff in this matter, it was roughly 90% defensive and 10% offensive anyway, so that would still be ok for me, lol.

Alternatively, I just realized from watching Galef's new video that on MHS compatible sabers, an detachable emitter (like The Fallen's emitter) can be attached in place of the pommel, so if there was a way to affix LEDs to both ends of those hilts, that may be a solution as well.

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 02:30:21 AM »

I don't get how you could duel with 3 lightsabers at once.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 02:30:50 AM »

Yeah, when I envisioned this design, I was thinking of a gap between the parallel hilts for fingers.  It wouldn't make for the most spinny weapon, but then, when I was using a staff in this matter, it was roughly 90% defensive and 10% offensive anyway, so that would still be ok for me, lol.

Alternatively, I just realized from watching Galef's new video that on MHS compatible sabers, an detachable emitter (like The Fallen's emitter) can be attached in place of the pommel, so if there was a way to affix LEDs to both ends of those hilts, that may be a solution as well.

Honestly at this point I'd be interested in seeing any prior practice video you could scrounge up using that style of combat. Or if you were ultimately comfortable with re-creating/posting new footage even using a non lightsaber staff in this style. I just find it intriguing and would enjoy such a thing for reference/as a learning tool personally. If not it's more than ok, I just love visual aids. So far you're also the only individual I can find with legitimate experience doing so as well. Just food for thought, and my own humble request if at all possible.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 02:41:23 AM »

Understandable issue to have or be confused about. It's been discussed on the first page of this topic... the originating idea is using a Jar' Kai (dual wielding) adaptation. In one hand the user has a saberstaff (double bladed lightsaber) and in the other hand a single bladed lightsaber. Thus giving 3 blades to attack and defend with simultaneously. Not some General Grievous or 4 armed species type of fighting style. Also I suppose an adept Force user could mentally manipulate a 3rd blade (as has been seen in lore) but we're not going to those extremes.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 03:13:18 AM »

Like this, but instead of a staff and a sword it's a double-bladed lightsaber (saberstaff) and a normal lightsaber:

Or instead of a spear and a sword, a saberstaff and a saber:

Shown here in a light sparring video (not mine) with a shorter staff:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&amp;v=wuJi2_3b5-g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&amp;v=wuJi2_3b5-g</a>

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 04:03:08 AM »

YES! Great find, THAT is exactly the idea of what we are talking about here, well done. Excellent find in that video, I now have to dive headlong into watching the videos in this series... Thank you for that Sir, points on the way.

Not to mention a hilarious yet accurate addition of Gandalf.

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »

Indeed.  Even if I did have vids or pics, that video is a lot more coherent than any of my matches, lol.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »

Indeed.  Even if I did have vids or pics, that video is a lot more coherent than any of my matches, lol.

Yep, leave it to SirLiftaLot to come through in the end with a clutch move like this, he's the go to guy IMO for some next level source material/research into topics that catch his interest. I've come to not only respect his opinion in matters but also his depth of interesting resources. Definitely knows how to unearth legitimate references, videos, and links regarding topics of conversation. Like a rare arms dealer trading in ideas, a great asset in a quest for knowledge/understanding.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 12:10:45 AM »

Yep, leave it to SirLiftaLot to come through in the end with a clutch move like this, he's the go to guy IMO for some next level source material/research into topics that catch his interest. I've come to not only respect his opinion in matters but also his depth of interesting resources. Definitely knows how to unearth legitimate references, videos, and links regarding topics of conversation. Like a rare arms dealer trading in ideas, a great asset in a quest for knowledge/understanding.
Thank you for the kinds words.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: