Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Second Hand Price Evaluation  (Read 881 times)
TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« on: January 13, 2021, 07:02:53 AM »

Someone nearby appears to be selling a Dark Initiate LE v4 with possibly a mid-grade blade and an orange LED.  Seller says it's 5 years old and is asking for $100.  No sound, standard button.  I believe the base price for this model is $80, and I was thinking of offering $70, but in your opinion, what would be a reasonable counter-offer for me to make?

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:18:45 AM »

Someone nearby appears to be selling a Dark Initiate LE v4 with possibly a mid-grade blade and a yellow LED.  Seller says it's 5 years old and is asking for $100.  No sound, standard button.  I believe the base price for this model is $80, so what would be a reasonable counter-offer for me to make?

Well, that's kind of a pickle. On the one hand you could easily say just that "online I could order the same thing right now and get it brand new for $20 cheaper than you're asking, so drop it to $70 and if it's in good condition I'm thinking that might be more fair/tempting." Since you're getting a discount and they are still recouping profit on something they probably got some enjoyment and use out of. Not to mention that if they did use it, you have no idea how much that blade has gone through, or if they kept it "safe" till you see it. It could be all kinds of scuffed up or whatnot so I'd want recent pictures before committing anyway.

On the other hand it's a reality that the economy isn't great right now and things are hard for many, so they may be selling it out of necessity more than desire... if this is the case that could be why they rounded the price up more so than "getting over" on an uninformed individual. Heck maybe a little bit of both? So idk, I wouldn't let compassion blind you, but also try not to be ignorant of their potential plight from a negotiation/haggling standpoint if they are resolute and refuse to budge on their price.

So yeah, I'd call $70 fair-ish for both parties, and $60 more a "great deal" for you that'd be "hard to resist. But of course that's just my take on it. Best of luck, and may the Force serve you well. If in doubt use a mind trick and say "you will hand me the lightsaber and return home happily" with that classic hand wave. But I suppose that's the more acceptable of the Sith options...

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 08:56:12 AM »

Thanks for the input!  Your opinion was much appreciated!

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 01:04:29 AM »

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Keep in mind that this will have NO warranty.  For me, that makes it a non-starter without a deep discount from new.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »

Here's the link.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tag/d/honolulu-metal-hilt-40-inch-fx/7261246315.html

Honestly, it's not even my first choice of hilt or color, so I'm not very inclined unless I can get a really good deal. 

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 05:52:47 PM »

Well, that's a Dark Apprentice LE v4, Fire Orange, stunt, looks like a 32" blade, maybe 36".    Base cost for one new from US is $80 plus $10 for the longer blade (24" is standard).

So $90 new, he's asking $100.   If he's including shipping, then you're about even.

That being said...   Its 5 years old, looks great but its still older, and as Cyclops said there is no warranty. 

I think I would offer $70 max, shipping included.   I'd probably open with $55.

But if its also not your first choice of color and hilt, I'd walk away and order what I wanted from US.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if I had made the right price calculations, but your post helps a lot for this and any future scenarios.  Fortunately, shipping isn't necessary in this case, but I believe the seller was trying to use it as leverage to justify the pricing(along with several other not-entirely-coherent reasons).  I was willing to go as high as $75 for their trouble, but it appears that they would rather look for another buyer, so good luck to them.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 09:32:59 PM »

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if I had made the right price calculations, but your post helps a lot for this and any future scenarios.  Fortunately, shipping isn't necessary in this case, but I believe the seller was trying to use it as leverage to justify the pricing(along with several other not-entirely-coherent reasons).  I was willing to go as high as $75 for their trouble, but it appears that they would rather look for another buyer, so good luck to them.

Not bad, that sounds like what's best for both parties in this situation anyway... especially with your order on the way. Glad you're satisfied with the outcome.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

MercuryKungFu
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 110

Let It All Go. Fear, Doubt, And Disbelief

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 06:45:53 AM »

WAIT. You mean to tell me that it doesn't have the best sound board on the market? Buy from Ultrasabers. That's what I have to say about it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: