Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tournament Integrity  (Read 818 times)
TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« on: January 24, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »

This probably won't happen any time soon, or ever, in my neck of the woods, but when it comes to actual lightsaber tournaments, are their any specific benchmarks that tournament organizers use to make sure that customized lightsabers are fit to be used in competition? I'm thinking about Saber Legion in particular, but input about any league will be appreciated.

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 02:00:42 PM »

Each organization has specific rules re: overall length, blade type and saftey equipment.  These are typically listed on the organization's website (the Saber Legion is quite detailed).  Some tournaments even have special brackets/divisions for "exotic" weapons like cross guard hilts or staffs.  In general though, the best dueling hilts are the simplest.  Any customization that sticks out, gets in the way of your hands or could get knocked off, I would highly discourage.  Hope things get back to normal soon so we can have more of these conversations!  Good luck.       

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »

The Saber Legion has their requirements published in their ruleset. When they conduct a tournament sabers can be inspected by tournament/Legion staff to ensure they comply. Prior to tournaments you should attend local meets with your state charter and the state rep can help guide you in the details.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:33:18 PM »

As others have said, the various organizations have their own rulesets. There was a thread recently discussing the potential use of unorthodox saber combinations, but the limitations of blade length, hilt length, etc. attempt to keep things fair from what I have seen:

Here are Saber Legion's rules:

https://www.saberlegion.org/assets/resources/TSL-Official-Event-Rules-and-Guidelines.pdf

And Rouge Saber's rules:

https://www.roguesaber.com/files/Sparring%20and%20Dueling%20Rules.pdf

For example, for Saber Legion, you can't come in with a 10' long saberpike and just poke at you opponent from well out of their reach, since the maximum saberpike length is 6', and they set maximum blade and hilt lengths as well. And they also have maximum hilt and blade lengths for dual wielding, so you can't come in with two full size saberstaffs or two full-size saberpikes and become some impregnable wall of defense.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:34:15 PM »

Thank you very much for the responses everyone.  I apologize, I should have been more specific.  I have been reading the various league rules with regards to length and blade requirements, but I was hoping for more details on some of the more vague details, for example.

(from Saber Legion)
❖All saber hilts and blades must be inspected and approved by the Tournament Director, gear inspector and or event coordinator. The Official Tournament Director always has final say.

❖Saber hilts and blades must consist of parts from approved saber manufacturers or otherwise be approved by the gear inspection staff.

❖Homemade hilts or parts cannot be used without approval of the gear inspection staff as they have not been tested and may place Members in danger.

I know this is a case-by case thing, so if there aren't any concrete answers, I understand.  I just want to do everything I can to make sure my custom will pass inspection.

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: