Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help identify?  (Read 513 times)
Yantastic
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 27, 2021, 03:23:52 PM »

Was gifted what I think is an Aeon but not sure if it’s even an Ultrasaber. Batteries exploded in it and was wondering if that’s salvageable. Also not sure how to post images here

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 04:39:23 PM »

You have to use something else to upload/house the image. Like your twitter, facebook, imgur, whatever. Then "right click" it, select copy image link, use the paste function in a post/reply here. Generally having to delete the s from https, and then put img /img on both ends (like book ends around your image link) in brackets like this [] []. I can't show that as an complete example since it'd execute the command, attempting to display a non existent image... If this is not clear or helpful let me know.

I'd say look at the saber hilt, and pull up the US website. Look at single blade lightsabers and scroll through checking them out and enlarging the images. When you scroll through the individual galleries for the sabers you think it may be, it should become apparent. The length of each part of the hilt, and number/placement of grooves are tell tale signs between models. Slight differences may happen if the emitter (top of hilt where blade is) or pommel (bottom of hilt where battery is removed) are different from a "standard configuration" by being swapped out with replacements.

VERY IMPORTANT: I don't know how much you know about battery safety and battery ACID, BUT IF the battery/batteries did rupture/explode exercise extreme caution handling related parts or areas if it's not been thoroughly cleaned of residual acid/residue. I'd personally look up videos on dealing with battery acid precautions and cleanup. Wear some proper rubber gloves, and remember who knows what's happened to wiring or inside the hilt... I don't know if conventional options to eliminate battery acid are practical within a hilt or whatnot. But, if you're lucky it was a simple "standard battery" setup that just has replaceable batteries. Really your worst likely issue would be any corrosion resulting from that acid. Like I said, you'll need good lighting and a flashlight, some gloves , and to watch several videos to be sure you're being safe about it first (just in case). Prolonged acid on hands leading to potential burns, or secondary transfer from hands is no joke. So, that's the best advice I can think of to offer, I hope you can manage some photos or get some additional advice from members here. Oh, and depending on what you wind up doing safety goggles aren't a bad idea either in many cases... best of luck with all that.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 05:42:44 PM »

Most household batteries are alkaline not acidic. Prior to the development of dry cells, wet cell batteries did use acid so calling the leak acid is just a holdover from those. It is somewhat caustic and can cause skin irritation but it is highly corrosive and will quickly damage metal including saber bodies and circuitry.
One of the easiest cleanups for it is lemon juice and a brush.  A mild acid to neutralize the leaking base. Once cleaned you should be able to get an idea of what is salvageable. If the threads at the pommel aren't too badly corroded you should be good for a good cleaning or an electronics reinstall/replacement.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:51:50 PM »

Most household batteries are alkaline not acidic. Prior to the development of dry cells, wet cell batteries did use acid so calling the leak acid is just a holdover from those. It is somewhat caustic and can cause skin irritation but it is highly corrosive and will quickly damage metal including saber bodies and circuitry.
One of the easiest cleanups for it is lemon juice and a brush.  A mild acid to neutralize the leaking base. Once cleaned you should be able to get an idea of what is salvageable. If the threads at the pommel aren't too badly corroded you should be good for a good cleaning or an electronics reinstall/replacement.

Thanks for clearing that up, showing how ancient I am in constantly reverting back to old ideologies. When in danger/panic mode it's just reverting back to initial training I suppose. If I saw a bright enough flash I'd probably still think "duck and cover". Great advice though, I'll have to remember to use it if I have horrific battery troubles myself. Corrosion is a Kath hound.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 06:11:42 PM »

If I saw a bright enough flash I'd probably still think "duck and cover". Great advice though, I'll have to remember to use it if I have horrific battery troubles myself. Corrosion is a Kath hound.

Interestingly I have been present for the explosion of an automotive battery, those are wet cell batteries that do use sulfuric acid. There was no flash at all since most battery explosions are caused by excessive pressure build up through release of hydrogen instead of fire. The boom was sufficient to cause several people nearby to "duck and cover", by dropping to the ground and rolling under vehicles. Some wouldnt come out until I'd identified the source of the boom.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 06:17:15 PM »

HA, sorry I was just being foolish and referencing that good ole nuclear blinding flash and tragically flawed survival strategy. But yea, getting down when loud "explosive sounds" occur is a solid strategy generally. I've dealt mostly with car type batteries in recent history so yeah, not fun dealing with all that when they rupture. Luckily Yantastic wont have to deal with acid nor radiation.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 06:24:15 PM »

Luckily Yantastic wont have to deal with acid nor radiation.

True since most home battery "explosions" are corrosive leaks. Once the potassium carbonate crystals start they spread fast. Had i happen in one of my stunt sabers here. After a good cleaningits still working fine. Didn't even have to change the battery holder.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff