Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual-Wielding Continued  (Read 1853 times)
Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« on: January 30, 2021, 11:16:55 PM »

I saw in a video that a Master suggested using one saber to attack and one to block and alternating the attacking saber with the blocking saber. Is this sound? I have two 32" inch green Sabers and I want to get good at them.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:24 PM »

If a Master said it is viable, then I would trust it is sound. I cannot confirm that a Master did say this or not, but if it is true, I would trust it is sound. That aside, the idea of having two sabers, and one serving a more defensive role is sound, and there’s a precedent of fighters using one offensive and one defensive “tool” in each hand, and even a sword and shield would fit that very broad umbrella, although the shield gives up more offensive capability for better protection. As for switching up the attacking and defending sabers, if what it means is sometimes switching which saber (or hand) is playing which role, this is also sound advice, as the ability to change your approach can help to adapt to your opponent, or catch them off guard. If, however, it means alternating as blocking with one saber and then attacking with the other, this is also useful advice, as the advantage of having two weapons is that when one blocks the opponent’s only blade, you can use the other one to try to land a hit undefended.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 11:26:06 PM »

Yeah it seemed sound to me.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

Nodachi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 04:07:44 PM »

This is definitely viable option to use second saber, verified by centuries of sword&buckler and rapier&dagger pairs
Consider your weapon in second hand as a shield and you will be able to build real combat skills.

Another option to consider is to block with both weapons, keep secondary weapon to block and control opponents lightsaber, free your primary weapon and strike opponent, pretty safe play

Practicing Lightsaber Dueling Combat under ASL-FFE rules in the US
Sith Combat Academy

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 01:16:26 PM »

This is definitely viable option to use second saber, verified by centuries of sword&buckler and rapier&dagger pairs
Consider your weapon in second hand as a shield and you will be able to build real combat skills.

Another option to consider is to block with both weapons, keep secondary weapon to block and control opponents lightsaber, free your primary weapon and strike opponent, pretty safe play

I second this.  the off hand being a shorter weapon, and primarily used to block is classic. Not that this style was prominant in the era of rapiers.  light blades, not heavier longswords.  attacking and blocking is much more nuanced.

Additionally, if you are both right handed, the attack will come from your left, you block with your off-hand tying up their blade, and your dominant hand (the right) is free and clear to kill.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: