Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Review: Dominix LE v5  (Read 1834 times)
Astral
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -3

Light Side Warrior Wielding Dark Side Abilities

« on: February 06, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »

Hi everyone!

As promised, here is my review of the Dominix LE v5! Smiley I also got a free saber (I believe the Apprentice v4 that is arctic blue) but this review will focus solely on the Dominix LE v5.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZioVFxIgw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZioVFxIgw</a>

Video updated by your friendly neighborhood, Mod

Enjoy this video review and also my (still developing) dueling skills.  Grin

Primary Customizations
Configuration: Premium Obsidian Sound
Color: Fire Orange
Flash on Clash: Silver
Blade Length: 36" Standard
Blade Option: UltraEdge Midgrade
Sound: Obsidian USB V4

Pros
- It feels great to swing and twirl. Smooth and effortless! Weight is balanced perfectly for me.
- Grip is phenomenal! The ridges really help prevent slipping when swinging it around.
- Sounds are clear/crisp and really adds to the experience of battling.
- The fire orange is amazing and really pops in the dark. I was skeptical at first but I'm so happy I got the FoC. It really puts me into it.
- I love the emitter most of all for the aggressive appearance. However, I had to perform the claw flip because my hand kept getting caught on the sharp edges of the claws. I'm sure both are viable when dueling but I much prefer the claw flip not only because of comfort but also it just looks cooler in my opinion (adds to that aggressiveness). And, of course, thank you to For Tyeth for discovering the claw flip!

Cons (Minor Things)
- The FoC sometimes will activate even though the saber doesn't hit anything. It's not a huge deal and doesn't really detract from battling but just something I noticed!
- I wish the speaker wasn't as exposed as it was but this is also not a huge deal. I'll just be careful that nothing gets into that opening.

Overall, the Dominix LE v5 is an amazing-looking saber that just feels and sounds awesome. I'm extremely pleased with my product and I'm definitely going to add to my collection in the future from Ultrasabers. I hope you all find this review helpful/enjoyable and I look forward to having future conversations with people. May the Force be with you all!

Pictures (I posted these in my introduction but I'll put them here again! Smiley)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:23:27 PM by Infinit01 » Logged

I prefer a balance of light/dark side points!
My Collection:
* Dominix LE v5 - Fire Orange - Silver FOC - Obsidian v4 Soundboard
Wishlist:
The Chosen One SE/CE
The Graflex CE
The Fallen
(More to be added)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:08:35 PM »

Love it.
Point =)

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Astral
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »

Thank you DarthRondoudou! I'm glad I finally got to put out my review for you all. Smiley

My Collection:
Wishlist:
The Chosen One SE/CE
The Graflex CE
The Fallen
(More to be added)

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:09:54 PM »

Watched the whole thing, it was pretty well done. You mixed in a lot of various things, and had a bit of fun too I see. There are tons of basic level but sturdy armors you can shift those funds you were saving towards if you're as dueling centric as I sense. A fencing mask isn't crazy expensive and is probably the best 1st piece of gear to get for obvious reasons IMO anyway. There are also some great practice and light technique drills posted all around here and on youtube. Moving through those with some regularity can be great prep work and a great leadup to armor purchasing. Once you and your partner(s) have stable and reliable blocking covered the real fun begins. Don't mean to overly harp on it, but I'm a duel maniac so I try to encourage habits that keep people invested in the concept rather than potentially injured or scared off.

Also might want to look into (or have your GF look at) getting proper rechargeable batteries and a charger for her initiate. Bet it'll be seeing a good bit of use, so it's a sound investment. I had to get some for all my sabers, and so far it's worth it for sure. That's my advice for the day, for use at your discretion.

But yes, very nice work on the vid, and bullet point summary. I also hear about similar things with other people's FOC, must be something to do with how it "triggers". I have no clue if people have ever installed the speaker style mesh in a small amount of insert hot glued into a pommel or something like that to keep out dust/dirt... I'll think about trying it for when I get a speaker style setup. Anyway, the look on your face at one point when you ignited your lightsaber said it all, pure joy and just that "wow this is cool" moment. Great to see new members loving their 1st lightsaber.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Astral
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 07:49:03 PM »

Thank you DarthProdigal! And thanks also for the comment on my video! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I'm definitely going to look into gear because as you saw, we couldn't battle at full speed/power! And you're not harping at all. I really appreciate your suggestions and I only seek to learn as much as I can because it'll only add to the experience. Smiley Also, good advice on the rechargeable batteries! It'd be a smart investment.

I believe that the FOC can maybe be altered in the Ultrasaber launcher interface with the v4 soundboard. I haven't taken the time to properly look into it but I saw something about changing the motion/impact thresholds and maybe there's something in there that'll help with the FOC. I'll look around on the forums to see if anyone else has any advice as well.

I'm happy you loved the look on my face when I ignited the lightsaber!!! Grin Having this saber has definitely made me feel like a child again in all the best ways. It's so awesome.

My Collection:
Wishlist:
The Chosen One SE/CE
The Graflex CE
The Fallen
(More to be added)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »

Hey Astral!   Love the sabers!

On the exposed speaker: You can make a nice fix for this by getting a small square of black window screen material.   Cut a circle out slightly larger than the hole and press it down into the pommel.   A couple of spots of superglue will secure it without making it truly permanent, and it looks great while serving as a grill-style cover for the speaker.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Astral
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 10:16:09 PM »

Thank you so much Karmack! That's a great fix. I'll have to do that for my saber then. Light side point for you!

My Collection:
Wishlist:
The Chosen One SE/CE
The Graflex CE
The Fallen
(More to be added)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 12:23:48 PM »

Great review, Astral

Astral
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 01:14:20 AM »

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate you reformatting my video for the forum as well. Smiley

My Collection:
Wishlist:
The Chosen One SE/CE
The Graflex CE
The Fallen
(More to be added)

Kelli Renae
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 10:08:03 PM »

Greetings Astral, My saber arrived today and I have this same hilt.  I want to do the claw flip but I'm a little unsure on how to do it.  I look down inside and can see two either set screws or rivets holding them on but I'm hesitant to stick a wrench down there and start mucking about...

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 11:08:52 PM »

Hello Kelli Renae,

The claws are held in place by two devices called "Roll Pins". They are like a stud that is split down the middle and tension forces the two halves of the pin to press outward - when inserted into a hole the pin expands and grips inside the hole.

Luckily the claws can be carefully prised off using a screwdriver then flipped and pressed back into position. Here is a YT video showing how it can be done.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gGmW9QLEw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gGmW9QLEw</a>

I'm quite proud to say I was the guy that discovered the pins and how the claws were attached (though I did say retention screw!)
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=831.msg666009#msg666009

Hope this helps and maybe you can post some pictures if you do the conversion (if you haven't noticed the members here like photos of sabers  Grin)

Kelli Renae
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:15 AM »

For Tyeth, thanks so much for the quick reply.  I'm familiar with roll pins, I'll probably put a drop of some sort of glue in there just to be sure.  Pry them off, rotate, and then beat them back into place, whodda thunk it would be that easy.

I'll work on pics over the weekend.  All I've had time to do so far is turn it on, then off, and grin like a like a little girl on Christmas morning  Grin...

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 01:55:29 AM »

For Tyeth, thanks so much for the quick reply.  I'm familiar with roll pins, I'll probably put a drop of some sort of glue in there just to be sure.  Pry them off, rotate, and then beat them back into place, whodda thunk it would be that easy.

I'll work on pics over the weekend.  All I've had time to do so far is turn it on, then off, and grin like a like a little girl on Christmas morning  Grin...

Hello again,

Of course enjoy your new saber first! And yes, regarding the claws sometimes the simple solution to a problem is easily overlooked. I certainly learnt something new when I saw how Ultrasabers attached them.
Have fun and we'll chat again soon.

p.s. The forum has a sort of "points" system where folks award other members a Light or Dark side point to show appreciation for a post or comment. Let me know whether you are a Jedi or Sith and I can appoint you a suitable point. (You can award a member 1 point per 24hr period - just click the appropriate option under their Avatar picture - the points don't count for anything other than just a bit of fun ok!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: