Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Advice on double bladed lightsabers...  (Read 742 times)
CST4716
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 06, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »

Hello! A couple months ago I purchased The Fallen, with the intent to eventually make a saberstaff out of it. With the two of them joined together, it would come out to about 30 inches for the hilt. I would probably get 32 inch blades, when in the hilt would be 29 sticking out. I am only 5' 6'', an I was wondering the hilt would look disporpotional to the blades.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:46:07 PM »

I have a saberstaff that is 26" from emitter to emitter with 24" blades (21.5" past the emitter on my hilts), so the hilt is ~20% longer than each visible blade, while yours would be only ~5% longer than the visible blade, so if you don't think mine looks too disproportionate, then yours shouldn't be any problem at all.

Here's some photos for your reference, holding it in a few positions to get a better sense of scale:

I also even sometimes add some more extensions to the hilt, bringing the hilt length up to 32.5", so a longer hilt than you have with shorter blades

All that said, if you're looking at 30" of hilt and 59" total of blades, that's an 89" total length, or ~7'5", which is almost 2' taller than you are. This will look great, but you will have to be careful with your spins to not hit the ground with one of the blades. It's doable, but requires some attention, and perhaps modifications to your technique if you're used to, say, a bo staff or something. Longer hilts give you a longer area to grip, which isn't too major for spins, but can be useful for bo staff type forms and techniques.

In summary, I do not think it will look odd at all.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

CST4716
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 03:27:36 AM »

Thank you so much, your saber looks great!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 12:46:43 AM »

I have a Dark Apprentice Staff V4 with a QR coupler. So my hilt is total 18.75" and blades are 32". But I run something past standard ideology, and I'm much taller being around 6' tall. I'd recommend going with 32s and learning about cutting down your blades to possibly closer to 28" at your height. I love to have a insane amount of reach with my blades and a hilt just within my comfort zone to grip and adjust my hands through moves. Honestly my setup would be crazy for you since it'd be like a full foot taller than you are... But I do love the hilt. Sadly US doesn't offer a blade length between 24" and 32" so that's why members have focused more on cutting down 32's to desirable lengths or opting for 24. SirLiftaLot certainly knows what he's talking about for sure.

I know what you're trying to do, because I plan to have a Fallen saberstaff as well one day, so I respect that. If you really don't want to cut the blades down yourself, 24" will be the only ones you'd likely be able to spin and maneuver properly without scraping against and impacting the ground.

There is also a great reference topic on this matter here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=46428.0

Btw, I'm also curious what color hilt you got, and the blade color you chose? You know all the juicy details right down to the AV switches. There is certainly no wrong way to customize a Fallen. It's a gorgeous lightsaber.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

TheCharlax
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 06:51:07 AM »

I am about the same height as you.  Personally, I feel like 24" blades are better start if your hilt is going to be 30 inches. 

Ultimately, it depends what kind of saberstaff you are after.  A longer hilt with shorter blades will give you more versatility and mobility in a duel, while longer blades can give you better defensive coverage.

"Light and Dark are not paths: merely directions."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: