Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New purchase advice for my girls first saber.  (Read 832 times)
Quattrorocket
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 07, 2021, 06:37:57 PM »

So I have 6 and 8 year old girls that are loving their Star Wars experience. Discussions have already begun about a SW themed Halloween this Fall, couldn't be happier as a Dad. So my 7 year old will be turn 8 in a month and I want to get her a saber, not a cheap plastic one but something suitable for a kid. She is a fan of Rey and has mentioned more than once that she wants a blue saber. I am sure sound fx would be really great for them at that age as well.

Can I get a little advice where to start ? I am figuring I will get one for my little one at the same time so she wont feel left out so price is an issue. I will hold off getting my own for a while but I am sure to join in when I can afford to do so as well.

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 07:04:55 PM »

Kudos to you, Dad; if you're looking ahead to Halloween, I think now is the perfect time to shop, to allow for any delays in production.   Plus, it'll give them time to get used to the sabers before Halloween.

Since we're talking little ones, I'd say go with either the Initiates or Apprentices, either the V3s or V4s.  Both styles aren't too long for kids, plus the hilts are smooth enough to get a good grip for swinging and spinning, and also, the prices of the hilts are pretty reasonable.  Not only that, but as the kids grow, they'll still get a lot of use out of them.  If you want sound, and aren't looking to get into the whole "changing sound fonts" part of this hobby - at least, not yet anyway - I'd set them up with the Obsidian Lite soundboard.  All the basic saber sounds at the lowest price possible, if cost is a concern for you.  As they get older, you all can start looking into the upper tier sabers.

And above all, HAVE FUN WITH IT.  Keep us updated on what you pick out.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:44:18 PM »

My daughter got her first Ultrasaber about 7 years old. Normally I would recomend an Apprentice or Phantasm initiate v4 staff, as this is the most cost effective way to get 2 sabers.

In this case however, I would recomend a Prophecy v3 for the oldest and any of the initiate or apprentice sabers, but leaning strongly toward v4, for the younger. Since your oldest is already set on Rey's style the Prophecy has some visual cues that can connect with Rey's saber. It is very much simplified but to a child's eye the connection will be seen while keeping a small streamlined grip that will fit her now and allow room to grow.

Since her's is the birthday gift it must set a bit above or at least distinctly different than the other. The initiates and apprentices all will fit a child's hands while still being able to be grown into to. The v4 offers a little  more  of a Star Wars appearance than the v2 or v3, children notice more than many people think. The v4 also has cleaner grips and lines than the v5s with the extra long windows with layered cutouts or the claws that  could get in the way of small hands.

Both of those can come with basic sound which is usually good for those ages, or they can be upgraded later.
If you do get sound I recommend a pommel upgrade from either Ultrasaber's premium saber line or TCSS since the sound pommels those sabers come with has a big open hole in them to release the sound. The premium pommels have a sort of sound grill so the little ones won't get something poked up in there and damage the speaker.

Also whatever you get go with mid-grade blades. The are usually plenty durable for kids but flex a little bit more so strikes to each other are slightly less harsh.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »

Both of those can come with basic sound which is usually good for those ages, or they can be upgraded later.
If you do get sound I recommend a pommel upgrade from either Ultrasaber's premium saber line or TCSS since the sound pommels those sabers come with has a big open hole in them to release the sound. The premium pommels have a sort of sound grill so the little ones won't get something poked up in there and damage the speaker.

Hey there, greetings.

I'd agree on the pommels, it makes sense to order 2 that are slightly different than the standard sound pommel. They add a bit of a different look than the basic ones, and can add a bit more customized look. I'd ordered a v4 staff and 2 separate pommels for when I wanted to disconnect it and have 2 separate lightsabers, but I wound up using one primarily for the free initiate I got to make it slightly more customized.

Make sure you figure out what you want by researching the parts and hilts before making the order. Then double check before and after adding them to your cart. It's good to have the right color/style AV switches, pommel colors, and blade colors for sure. Along that line, since the b-day girl is the one who loves blue you can always get her a blue LED blade. I mean there are several hilts that are actually blue (generally named azure) but I can't speak to their price or the actual grip size of them. You can look at individual specs when selecting them, look at 3D models, or look up video reviews... but the safe bet might be to trust the vets with kids on this matter, because some of the hilts are a little bulky at times. Several members have small hands, so if one of them gives you advice it would probably be good too. Best of luck deciding, awesome choice to buy such a great birthday present!

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »

Also whatever you get go with mid-grade blades. The are usually plenty durable for kids but flex a little bit more so strikes to each other are slightly less harsh.

I agree with Firehand; my boys and I duel with mid-grade blades - they're 20, 18, 16, and 10 - and the durability of the blades is just fine for what we do.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Quattrorocket
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 03:24:23 PM »

Thanks all, love the community here. Sadly after some research I am gonna have to go another route. I need a cheaper option both for my COVID budget and to first test and see how much use my girls would even have for them. If its a passing notion I would regret making the investment when cash is tight.

I have bookmarked the site and will return hopefully. Cheers

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 06:14:59 PM »

Thanks all, love the community here. Sadly after some research I am gonna have to go another route. I need a cheaper option both for my COVID budget and to first test and see how much use my girls would even have for them. If its a passing notion I would regret making the investment when cash is tight.

I have bookmarked the site and will return hopefully. Cheers

Valid logic, no need to "break the bank" if overall price tag is just not desirable. Feel free to still stop in, hang out, and check out various things on the forum from time to time. No rule stating you must own ultrasabers to be a member, even aspiring to buy one when possible is a fair rationale. Or simply being a SW enthusiast who loves lightsabers in general makes sense. As long as you're not constantly posting competing companies products or always referencing their products it's no harm no foul. I do hope everything works out regardless of what you decide.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »

I'd have to say that even if I hate the character, the iconic Rey's lightsaber is the Empress IMO. Her own. It's quite expensive though.
Though, she spends most of the movies with a graflex.
A real graflex would be kinda hard to hold for young kids I'd say. So yeah, the prophecy kinda looks like a graflex, but will be nicer to the hand.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Pages: [1]   Go Up