Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Consular with Upgraded Power Source  (Read 2030 times)
JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

Light side points only, please.

« on: February 16, 2021, 01:57:15 AM »

I followed a wonderful tutorial by CJ-Nihilus, and that was also hosted on Arms of Ilum's blog, on how to modify our sabers to use a portable usb battery bank.  I had to remove the outer aluminum housing of the 5000mah bank in order to make it fit well. Once removed and sealed with electrical tape (partly to make certain the board did not flex and break) it fit like a charm.  Here are the pictures of the finished product.

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:21:38 AM »

any changes in brightness?  good job! pointage!!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:31:13 AM »

any changes in brightness?  good job! pointage!!

Thank you! 

Oh yes, the brightness begins spectacularly now, and remains that way throughout the full charge. I could watch the output fall with the original four AAA pack that was in the Saber, in short amount of time.

Apparently the new pack regulates the voltage and amperage throughout the entire life cycle of the charge.  I think 5 volts @ 2.1 amps was what CJ-Nihilus and Arms of Ilum were both getting with this exact model of battery bank.  The brightness is intense enough now that it overloads my camera at the base of the saber, just like a saber from the movies, lol.

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 04:20:14 AM »

Thank you! 

Oh yes, the brightness begins spectacularly now, and remains that way throughout the full charge. I could watch the output fall with the original four AAA pack that was in the Saber, in short amount of time.

Apparently the new pack regulates the voltage and amperage throughout the entire life cycle of the charge.  I think 5 volts @ 2.1 amps was what CJ-Nihilus and Arms of Ilum were both getting with this exact model of battery bank.  The brightness is intense enough now that it overloads my camera at the base of the saber, just like a saber from the movies, lol.
Point to you!

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 04:49:59 AM »

Point to you!

LOL!  I wish I could take all of the cumulative light and darkside points I've been given and stack them all as light side points.  I've been watching my poor little gauge rise and fall all week.

Thank you for the point.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 05:29:45 AM »

Nice upgrade. I've been out of the saber game for a minute, but I love seeing people who do any kind of custom work on these to make them even better than they already are.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:01:30 AM »

LOL!  I wish I could take all of the cumulative light and darkside points I've been given and stack them all as light side points.  I've been watching my poor little gauge rise and fall all week.

Thank you for the point.
You asked for it didn't you? xD

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 02:02:25 PM »

Lol, yes I did.

And thank you, SciFi.  It wasn't a difficult mod, just fiddly.  I had a battery bank laying around that would fit, but has an annoying feature. You have to press a button in order for it to active.  If anyone is planning on doing this mod, DON'T USE ONE OF THOSE. Having to unscrew your pommel, click on your battery and then having about a 30 second window to activate and keep your blade active.....that quickly grows old.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »

Lol, yes I did.

And thank you, SciFi.  It wasn't a difficult mod, just fiddly.  I had a battery bank laying around that would fit, but has an annoying feature. You have to press a button in order for it to active.  If anyone is planning on doing this mod, DON'T USE ONE OF THOSE. Having to unscrew your pommel, click on your battery and then having about a 30 second window to activate and keep your blade active.....that quickly grows old.

Ha, something about an old codger with a finnicky lightsaber that takes a trick to start up that only he knows (similar to a quirky old vehicle or some such) just seems to fit. Perhaps only you could achieve such a modification, not only beneficial but also a bit comical in it's confoundingly obstinate nature. It seems perfect in it's own way, in this light... And fear not, I've also partially fumbled in a "successful" upgrade or two in my own right. So you're not alone in shaking your head at yourself during a 95% triumph. Growing pains of a sort.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 10:44:30 PM »

Ha, something about an old codger with a finnicky lightsaber that takes a trick to start up that only he knows (similar to a quirky old vehicle or some such) just seems to fit. Perhaps only you could achieve such a modification, not only beneficial but also a bit comical in it's confoundingly obstinate nature. It seems perfect in it's own way, in this light... And fear not, I've also partially fumbled in a "successful" upgrade or two in my own right. So you're not alone in shaking your head at yourself during a 95% triumph. Growing pains of a sort.

I was quickly shaking my fist at that dadblastit stupid battery bank!  Piece of poodoo. It's been relegated to charging com devices.  Apparently charging weapons was beyond it's abilities.  

Besides, the second one I installed is bigger and has a longer run time.  Now I can take on twice the Katarns on a single charge....

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »

It's funny, I couldn't stand this Consular at first.  Now I have four Sabers. Two US and two from different other guys.  I couldn't imagine dueling with anything other than an US.  Even my Initiate V4 LE is at least five times tougher than the other two sabers, but my Consular...... It's one big solid chunk of aircraft aluminum.  It feels more solid than a D cell maglite.  It's also cranky. Just like it's owner. Doesn't seem to like anyone but me.  

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 01:28:16 AM »

The Consular is a great saber. I actually need to put mine back together, especially since I have the Guardian now.

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 01:54:22 AM »

I recommend the battery bank mod, if you do put it back together, and if you don't already have Li-Ions in it.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 03:00:19 AM »

I bought it empty a few years ago. When I built it initially, it had a sound board by "the other guys" in it that runs on 18650s. I have a bunch of those and battery holders, so I'm probably going to just use that. I've tried wiring recharge ports before, but it seems to be outside of my skill set as it didn't go well, so I just use removable batteries. (I have several chargers, including 2 I just got from Ultrasabers) I don't remember why I disassembled it, maybe to get the LED module out? *shrugs* Oh well, I just need a few parts and some heat shrink tubing and then I'm going to put it back together.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 02:41:34 PM »

Look, heat-shrink tubing is clearly the better choice for electrical connections, but it sounds so much more like McGyver if you say duct tape instead. 

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: