Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Warrior Monk / Hermit costume.  (Read 2794 times)
GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« on: February 16, 2021, 07:07:33 AM »

Hi all I am going to make a warrior monk / hermit costume and i am looking for advice.

Here is the backstory so far of the character I'm creating.

Azriel Maledictus was a Jedi Knight who was sent along with his Padawan to protect a village from marauders. His Padawan is killed during a battle and in a rage Azriel unleashes a massive force blast with not only kills the marauders but completely wipes out the village as well. He buries his Padawan and the villagers and exiles himself. During his exile he combines his lightsaber along with his Padawan's to create the “Shattered Destiny”. He becomes a warrior monk hermit keeping out of way of the outside world. Eventually Azriel decides he must atone for his slaughter at the village and rejoins the world to battle the dark side in all its forms.

Here are a couple of pictures I got off Pinterest of costume ideas I like.

I'm thinking of making this costume from scratch where would I get patterns for monk robes? what sort of fabric should I use?

I was also thinking of making some bracers and a chest plate, what would the best material to use for a beginner? I assume foam would be the ideal material for a beginner?
Can you download patterns for armor? If so where from?

I was also thinking of adding the colour scheme for the Shattered Destiny into the costume what are peoples thoughts on this?

Any additional tips or tricks would be greatly welcome.

I can't wait to start making my own costumes.

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:22:39 PM »

Terribly interesting, and a nice blend of tragedy and redemption. Nice potential, and room for growth. I'll ponder how I may provide helpful input, but will also watch this with piqued interest. I do often enjoy hermits and sages. Additionally respecting DIY initiative and craft. That is a great lightsaber duo, so it'd be a very classy base palate for color options.

If I may make some vague suggestions to start:
Since it's been a "long" exile, perhaps a more worn/tattered look (or even "lived in") could be called for with the outfit. The armor possibly weathered, fabrics a bit torn or faded, perhaps some more natural elements incorporated into it's design, or even some things obviously "mended or patched" with found items or bits of cloth from other pieces. In this way some of the hand crafted nature need not be "perfect" and some obvious/intentional stitching and such could add to the feel?

I like the wanderer or reclusive sage vibe... so some elements would depend on what environment he was secluded in or wandering through. Dusty planets require different protections/garments than rainy or humid environs. Heat vs cold. You could plan it partially around your own local climate's predominant weather patterns, the time(s) of year or places you may choose to wear it, or purely base it off of whatever planet you prefer... But of course extended duration wear (say at a convention/gathering) in improper conditions or filled with "collective body heat" generated around could get uncomfortable if you dressed for planet Hoth.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 03:01:51 AM »

what a great project! You can still utilize traditional Jedi garb for what you propose. The key is to look into weathering and degrading the fabric. You will want your gear to look beaten up and basically lived in 24/7 down to your saber.

For armor, Eva foam works (find my Sith WIP post in this category to see my journey thus far)

You can find patterns in lots of places. Look up Kamui Cosplay and Evil Ted Smith. Etsy is also a place to find lots of patterns. Also RPF and Pepakura files (basically just Google yourself down a good rabbit hole)

What ideas are you considering for your armor pieces ? I could guide you better with some concepts in mind.

Welcome to a fun new world!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »

What ideas are you considering for your armor pieces ? I could guide you better with some concepts in mind.

Finally have some time to get this project started. I'm thinking light armor, eg bracers and shoulder armor (scavenged from the marauders) as the character has been living simply. I'm going to buy a Padawan braid and incorporate it into the costume, which will be a great addition to it.

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 02:11:03 AM »

intruiging…perhaps has been aalone ince ORDER 66 & such.

I would think that very little armor would be best. Instead of metal bracers (would be very hot in baking sun) maybe simple leather ones or just arm wraps (thinking of a scavenger Rey vibe here). I used the template for the Wicher's shoulder armor and pauldrons for my Sith Costume (stiil in progress) You could do something like that or maybe something scavenged from a stormtrooper (one arm/shoulder only?)

…I can riff ideas ad infinitum  Roll Eyes

I made vambraces from http://stormthecastle.com and those might look interesting for you (the dude posted my pi)

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 12:26:34 PM »

I don't know how I missed this but wonderful backstory, Gedda!

I'm intrigued after seeing your "inspiration pics" and am looking forward to where you go from here  Smiley

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 12:39:06 AM »

This'll be cool to see when its finished =] Maybe still do the first costume but then add some small armor bits? I like how the first costume looks

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: