Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Just ordered my first Mystery Box Saber  (Read 5681 times)
JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

Light side points only, please.

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 02:06:19 AM »

You sound like me, DarthProdigal.  Ever the diplomat.

Yes, I'm being a cranky old man because this saber technically meets the letter of their advertisement, it certainly does not embody the spirit of it.  Cheap carnival trickery makes me ornery, so yep, I'm ornery now.

I expected better from a company I'd grown to love, and now I'm disappointed in them.

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2021, 03:50:21 AM »

You sound like me, DarthProdigal.  Ever the diplomat.

Yes, I'm being a cranky old man because this saber technically meets the letter of their advertisement, it certainly does not embody the spirit of it.  Cheap carnival trickery makes me ornery, so yep, I'm ornery now.

I expected better from a company I'd grown to love, and now I'm disappointed in them.
I am sad to hear that.
Even though the fine prints said that could happen, receiving a saber worth a grab bag label is always disappointing.
The only way to flush out the v2s is to opt for the sound MB if I understand correctly.
This right here is the reason why I will not order any other MB. I had luck the first time. And the catalogue is not that appealing to me anymore. The odds are not in my favor.
That being said. The Fallen is a very specific hilt. And if you were going for a colored version, you should take time to think about it. Cause those are not easy to come across elsewhere. =/

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

Light side points only, please.

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2021, 02:37:56 PM »

I am sad to hear that.
Even though the fine prints said that could happen, receiving a saber worth a grab bag label is always disappointing.
The only way to flush out the v2s is to opt for the sound MB if I understand correctly.
This right here is the reason why I will not order any other MB. I had luck the first time. And the catalogue is not that appealing to me anymore. The odds are not in my favor.
That being said. The Fallen is a very specific hilt. And if you were going for a colored version, you should take time to think about it. Cause those are not easy to come across elsewhere. =/

You're right, it is a very specific hilt. I'll still have one, at some point.

I still am not going to buy it here.  I'll find a used one off of someone, sometime, and get it that way. I don't buy retail US, anymore. This is a cheap way for them to offload unwanted product using verbal sleight of hand.  If I want a US hilt, from here on out, it comes from the big auction site. 

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2021, 06:09:15 AM »

Truth be told, Emory once said on this very forum that the Grab Bags were literally created to clean out his back room. He had no idea the idea would resonate so well with customers. I would assume the Mystery Boxes are an extension of that. They get hilts in stock in batches and they likely have ones that don't meet standards but are technically still serviceable. They also have returns and cancelled orders. That's why they're being sold at a discount. It's also been said by him that this isn't intended to be a primary way of ordering sabers.

I don't know if you do any kind of martial arts or spinning, but you may want to give that hilt a chance. The Aeon V2 is one of my favorite spinners. I own 2 of them (bought a staff) and a Dominix LE V2. The length, grip and weight distribution are supreme, in my opinion. I know you don't like the scratches on it, but most everything in the Star Wars universe has a beat up look to it. Also, those can be sanded and buffed out.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2021, 01:52:59 AM »

As Qui-Gon said, " Whenever you gamble, my friend, sometimes you lose."

That being said your got one of the more customizable hilts available. Its a blank slate that can be made into so much more. It 5akes a bit of imagination but what makes that hold boring to many gives it more potential than most of the others in the line-up. 

It amuses me how people in current society love to take things as a sleight when in fact they have been handed opportunity.  When I recieved one of the 2 hilts I never would have ordered from a game of chance I turned it into what is still one of the favorites of my collection.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »

Yeah, I volunteered to take it and "battle scar" the poor thing into almost oblivion, like a droid you'd see in the "delicate care" of Jawas or something. I mean I could use a hilt I truly don't like/care about at all to savagely weather into near oblivion. I mean what's a Sith Lord without a Jedi's lightsaber that he cut down somewhere as a trophy or in the arsenal. It's not my fault I swear, blame Disney for making bleeding Kybers canon! Technically that one move created countless Jedi deaths that otherwise "didn't need to happen" in old lore. lol, pure Dark Side move on their part. I mean EVERY Sith basically means one dead Jedi (unless they bled their own crystal, but the Emperor calls that "unthinkable") so if you dual wield Jar' Kai... or need 2 crystals for a saberstaff you designed. "Hmmm, have a few of the padawans disappeared of late?"

Seriously though, I will probably order a stunt mystery box for this purpose and with my luck get something I LOVE and want to keep pristine. But I need one to take a saw and blowtorch to for a display, or to wear as a trophy at Cons. Open up an outfit compartment and show off my stolen collection Grievous style...

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2021, 07:44:58 PM »

If you like the mystery of it all then for sure go with the grab bag. 

My recommendation is to order the stunt of whatever hilt you like at the 75 or less range during one of the 10,15,20% off promotions.  Especially if you get free shipping.  Considering that the promotions cannot be used on the mystery box (can on grab bag though??) it might even come out to a better value.
My experience was a better price for two stunt sabers using 20% off and free shipping - under $120 before tax!  They both arrived with free AV switch upgrade (i chose guarded). 
i customized with sound cards and speakers from $2 plastic toy sabers - now they are duel worthy sound enabled sabers. 

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2021, 05:14:53 PM »

If you like the mystery of it all then for sure go with the grab bag. 

My recommendation is to order the stunt of whatever hilt you like at the 75 or less range during one of the 10,15,20% off promotions.  Especially if you get free shipping.  Considering that the promotions cannot be used on the mystery box (can on grab bag though??) it might even come out to a better value.
My experience was a better price for two stunt sabers using 20% off and free shipping - under $120 before tax!  They both arrived with free AV switch upgrade (i chose guarded). 
i customized with sound cards and speakers from $2 plastic toy sabers - now they are duel worthy sound enabled sabers. 

I'd be mad if I ordered guarded and it came with AV. The best easiest upgrade to Ultrasabers is a 12mm av switch. That falls right through their av switch hole.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 03:59:42 PM »

I'd be mad if I ordered guarded and it came with AV. The best easiest upgrade to Ultrasabers is a 12mm av switch. That falls right through their av switch hole.
true - one cannot make the switch hole smaller.  I wish they had a "no-holes" option for all purchases.
I was okay with the change since i already have some 16mm switches and only chose guarded because it kept the cost down.  I certainly got the feeling of "grab bag" even though i specifically chose those hilt styles - if that makes sense.  Sort of like 'oh look, we have that right over here in the returns/floor-model/etc but with a different switch" 
meh...

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2021, 05:28:28 PM »

true - one cannot make the switch hole smaller.  I wish they had a "no-holes" option for all purchases.

I agree, "no additional holes" in comments when ordering may help? Idk. I can agree though, in principle.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Atanvarno
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 21

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »

Don't you think you are a little bit too harsh on UltraSabers? As i understand, you still have 3 blades from them that you like. You got one that you hate at a game of dice, and you are mad? So, the other three hilts mean nothing to you regarding your opinion on Ultrasabers?

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2021, 04:01:19 PM »

Don't you think you are a little bit too harsh on UltraSabers? As i understand, you still have 3 blades from them that you like. You got one that you hate at a game of dice, and you are mad? So, the other three hilts mean nothing to you regarding your opinion on Ultrasabers?
agreed.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »

Yeah I think it was toughly 2 US brand and 1 or 2 from the other guys... but the way I understood it, it was more a stark disappointment at the quality of received item for relative amount of money invested in that purchase. Basically it was deemed as far below the quality expected for ~ $85-90. Less about brand quality overall and more about extreme disillusionment with the idea of "fair play" in the outcomes. Too shoddy of a result to leave anything but a bad taste in the mouth, at least in my interpretation. It's simply an opinion generated by the general feel of the transaction at large.

That said, I do get part of what you're getting at, and said as much myself. Though I myself could very likely have had a similar reaction given such an unfavorable result; especially if I was as "pumped up" for it before hand and left feeling I did not get my monies worth... I've yet to have a truly bad US experience, and thus can't judge or predict how it'd leave me after (with any degree of certainty) though I do know I've sworn off brands in other categories once I felt their quality was excessively substandard or I'd been cheated on a high $ expenditure. So I endeavor to avoid such outcomes, and agree with some of the previous advice to avoid them. Namely buying what is wanted VS playing with dice. But that's just my opinion.

lowlead
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -38

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2021, 01:08:53 PM »

...Yes, I'm being a cranky old man....

Well at least you're self aware.  I read through this thread and I agree with some above comments - give 'em another chance.  I'm around 10-ish sabers in, and have nothing but good things to say about US.  I was thinking about trying a $75 MB just for fun - you get whatcha get.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2021, 02:19:49 PM »

Well. MB aren't for everyone. And I think Darth Prodigal summed up what happened quite clearly.
It's all about the outcome feeling like it's not a match for the price : cheaper hilt with a small upgrade = cheating. And I totally understand that. I did pick a sound MB. And was quite pleased with the outcome. But I probably won't try MBs again. Between my sound MB and winning the diamond price at the last raffle, it feels like I've exhausted my US luck. Plus there aren't that many sabers I like left. But that's just me.
And if JoleeBindo decided that he would not spend his money with US anymore, that's his choice. And I doubt demeaning him would change his mind nor encourage people to contribute to the forum.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up