Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat  (Read 1147 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 07:01:44 PM »

One movie had Christopher Lambert in it. Talisa Soto (Kitana) and Robin Shou (Liu Kang) are the only two actors from the first film to return for Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage) asked to return, but then he read the script.  Shocked  So, yeah, total recasting except for Kitana and Liu Kang. Christopher Lambert was going to return for the third film, but then that never got made and New Line lost the film rights.

Also, Highlander is a great film and Lambert did OK in it. The only issue with that one is that they made 3 garbage sequels. (not counting the TV show, which wasn't garbage)
I'm quite fond of the Highlander tv show. But I was specifically speaking about the 2nd movie. Wich is pretty much garbage. Can't believe late Sir Sean Connery was dragged into it because of Lambert...
Funny thing is, is first name is Christophe. But he asked to be called Christopher for the international movies you know... To get the international vibe...

And you're right!! I forgot he only made one MK. I haven't seen them in a while. And I don't plan to see them, methinks it would hurt my eyes and my brain too much.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 12:37:15 AM »

I still like the first Mortal Kombat. I watched it again a few months ago. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is bad, really rough to watch, but I've seen it probably more times than I should. It's got some great martial arts in it, but that's about its only decent quality. The story is all over the place. Fun fact: Ray Park's first screen credit is in that film, he was a martial arts advisor, stunt coordinator, fighting double for Raiden and played a couple other characters who did nothing but fight in the film.

Yeah, Highlander 2 is absolute trash. The first movie should have never had a sequel. Or they should have done like the TV show and focused on a different immortal character than Connor. I even saw the "Renegade Version" of Highlander 2, which supposedly fixed a lot of the issues, and it was only marginally better than the theatrical cut. The third film ignored the second, but was only marginally better too. And I never even bothered with the fourth.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 06:44:46 AM »

I still like the first Mortal Kombat. I watched it again a few months ago. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is bad, really rough to watch, but I've seen it probably more times than I should. It's got some great martial arts in it, but that's about its only decent quality. The story is all over the place. Fun fact: Ray Park's first screen credit is in that film, he was a martial arts advisor, stunt coordinator, fighting double for Raiden and played a couple other characters who did nothing but fight in the film.

Yeah, Highlander 2 is absolute trash. The first movie should have never had a sequel. Or they should have done like the TV show and focused on a different immortal character than Connor. I even saw the "Renegade Version" of Highlander 2, which supposedly fixed a lot of the issues, and it was only marginally better than the theatrical cut. The third film ignored the second, but was only marginally better too. And I never even bothered with the fourth.
I think they ended up around 5 or 6 movies total if you count the ones with only A. Paul...

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »

There have been so many MK games, with so many different stories... that I guess I felt like there had been more MK content in Movies, shows, or something. I guess there really was just the 2 major motion pictures? I mean if I'm not mistaken the series started late 80s early 90s, then came the movies. They hit then were abandoned, and that's it? I just remember playing game storylines and watching cinematics so I guess that's the other content in my brain. Maybe fan made films, but no other true films? Not even like foreign adaptations...? I mean I would have killed for some BA live action Sub Zero and Scorpion origin story miniseries: GoT style murder, revenge, super murder... epic final battle, nightmarish return from the dead. It'd be a pretty sick one off, or just some dead end netflix series depending on how you look at it.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »

There have been so many MK games, with so many different stories... that I guess I felt like there had been more MK content in Movies, shows, or something. I guess there really was just the 2 major motion pictures? I mean if I'm not mistaken the series started late 80s early 90s, then came the movies. They hit then were abandoned, and that's it? I just remember playing game storylines and watching cinematics so I guess that's the other content in my brain. Maybe fan made films, but no other true films? Not even like foreign adaptations...? I mean I would have killed for some BA live action Sub Zero and Scorpion origin story miniseries: GoT style murder, revenge, super murder... epic final battle, nightmarish return from the dead. It'd be a pretty sick one off, or just some dead end netflix series depending on how you look at it.
There sure is room for a tv show...

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »

I read years ago that the studio got heavily involved in Highlander II and wanted it to be the new star wars..hence the stupid Immortals from another planet.  Another bit of useless trivia:  The show was supposed to be about Conner but Adrian Paul (after being cast) suggested it would be better to be an original character.  The First Mortal Kombat, while not "oscar" worthy, wasn't a horrible film.  Many focused on how cheesy the CG was even for the time and the lack of gore.  But the film makers were more focused on the fighting essentially making a Martial Arts film first and a MK film second.  Which worked out in that point because almost all of the fights were some of the best ever on screen.  The fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion in Scorpion's Lair stands out.  Then the Music...first soundtrack I ever owned.  To this Day the MK theme starts people are either dancing or fighting.....or both.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 03:13:00 PM »

I read years ago that the studio got heavily involved in Highlander II and wanted it to be the new star wars..hence the stupid Immortals from another planet.  Another bit of useless trivia:  The show was supposed to be about Conner but Adrian Paul (after being cast) suggested it would be better to be an original character.  The First Mortal Kombat, while not "oscar" worthy, wasn't a horrible film.  Many focused on how cheesy the CG was even for the time and the lack of gore.  But the film makers were more focused on the fighting essentially making a Martial Arts film first and a MK film second.  Which worked out in that point because almost all of the fights were some of the best ever on screen.  The fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion in Scorpion's Lair stands out.  Then the Music...first soundtrack I ever owned.  To this Day the MK theme starts people are either dancing or fighting.....or both.
I have to agree on the soundtrack. Mmh. I might give it another try then...

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »

and the lack of gore.

Someone forgot to put in the blood code. A B A C A B B

But the film makers were more focused on the fighting essentially making a Martial Arts film first and a MK film second.  Which worked out in that point because almost all of the fights were some of the best ever on screen.  The fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion in Scorpion's Lair stands out.  Then the Music...first soundtrack I ever owned.  To this Day the MK theme starts people are either dancing or fighting.....or both.

Fun fact: in the script, the fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion ended in the forest, with Cage using his shadow kick to end Scorpion. However, that was expanded upon when a test audience didn't think the film had enough fights. So, the shadow kick didn't connect and Scorpion instead opened a portal and transported them to his Lair, where the fight was expanded. Similarly, in Outworld, Liu Kang threw Reptile into the stature and it pulled him in and killed him. However, Reptile merging with the statue and becoming human to fight Kang was added later. Both fights were filmed via reshoots and both were choreographed by Liu Kang actor Robin Shou, as opposed to the film's credited fight choreographer. Shou used wire-work martial arts, which he'd learned working in Hong Kong, but that hadn't really been done in the west. (The Matrix made it popular in the west) Those two fights are widely considered to be the best two fights in the film.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: