Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Nar Shaddaa Nightwatch Blade (work in progress)  (Read 1758 times)
JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

Light side points only, please.

« on: February 19, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »

DO NOT EVER HIT ANYONE WITH A BLADE LIKE THIS UNLESS THEY ARE THREATENING YOUR LIFE.  THIS IS NOT A TOY. NOT FOR DUELING. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU DO THIS. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU DO THIS. JUST SHOWING WHAT I DID.

So, I sometimes find myself walking at night.  Not in truly rough areas, but in areas where a handy stick might come in.....well, handy.  I've got this new hobby.  Playing with sabers.  So, instead of carrying a plain ol' stick...you know, for unfriendly dogs and such.  I thought, Hey, Jolee, why don't you make a neat glowy stick that you can dissuade something from chewing on ya with?  I mean, Katarns ARE a thing in the Shadowlands, so yeah.

Enter the Nar Shaddaa Nightwatch Blade.  It's a solid 1" polycarbonate rod that I've cut down to a manageable length.  It just felt unwieldly in the 36" length I bought.  It wasn't inexpensive, but I think it'll be worth it, in the end.  I'm NOT looking to make the end-all-be-all toughest blade ever.  Just something with alittle more mass than could make something move, if I gave it a thump.

Now, three factors you have to be aware of from the beginning, when doing a project like this.

1. Is it kosher with the local authorities?  In my area, yes, so I'm squared away there.

2. How do you manage the heat from that LED so you don't melt things and short out your precious US hilt?

For me, I keep the blade alittle off the lens and I ran it for an hour without running into any kind of (what I consider to be) dangerous heat build up.  Your mileage may vary.

3. How do you keep a blade with more mass from flying out the front of the hilt if you were to swing it really hard a bunch?

I drilled a shallow (I mean about 1/32" or around 1.5mm) depression into the rod so that the grub screw would have a well to sit in.  Polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff, so this approach is working well, so far.  It would probably lock into the rod normally, but I like safety.  Hence this whole project.

ALSO DO NOT EVER HIT ANYONE WITH A BLADE LIKE THIS UNLESS THEY ARE THREATENING YOUR LIFE.  THIS IS NOT A TOY. NOT FOR DUELING. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU DO THIS. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU DO THIS. JUST SHOWING WHAT I DID.

Seeing a pattern here?

Ok, here's some pics of my work in progress.  I have been layering coats of three different paints, all mixed together.  
1. Acrylic White
2. Acrylic Silver
3. Acrylic Glow-In-The-Dark (I figure it'll help the blade light up all the way to the end better)

I mixed them all in equal parts, and then added alittle more glow in the dark for good measure.  I then brushed them on the blade, and am showing you the pics after two coats have dried.

I then wrapped the dried blade in two layers of packaging tape.  It helps protect the softer acrylic paint, and helps with the sabery-looking diffusion effect. Alot like those foam covers people put on show blades.  

Then I took a lighter to the base of the rod and basically melted it smooth, so the light would travel down the rod better.  I tried sanding, polishing, buffing.  This worked better for me.

This is not the finished product, just where I'm stopping for today.  I'll be working on how to get the light down the blade better.  But it serves it's intended purpose, so I call it a win.

Anyway, enough jabbering, here are some pics.

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 10:30:20 PM »

seems like quite the project.  i'm a bit confused about the LED melting the blade?  is it different from what comes with an UltraSabers build?
what is the overall goal with the blade?  Are you trying to make it brighter?
I am not trying to sound rude or mean - i just do not understand yet.

I, too, thought of making a depression in the blade for the retention screw to sit into allow for better grip - point for actually doing it!  Just have to make sure to line it up each time.

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:33:47 PM »

seems like quite the project.  i'm a bit confused about the LED melting the blade?  is it different from what comes with an UltraSabers build?
what is the overall goal with the blade?  Are you trying to make it brighter?

I, too, thought of making a depression in the blade for the retention screw to sit into allow for better grip - point for actually doing it!  Just have to make sure to line it up each time.

This blade is QUITE different than what US sells. US sells polycarbonate tubing, which is PERFECT for dueling and stunt work.

This is a solid polycarbonate rod that is 1" in outside diameter.  It weighs over a pound, by itself. 

Being solid, it doesn't have the air space in the center for the light to nearly effortlessly travel down.  Instead I had to polish the bottom of the rod to get the light to be able to travel down the blade.  Because there is still alittle opacity, it's not perfect.

"But from now on, you can just think of me as any other non-Jedi in our little group — with a lightsaber. And Force powers."

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 10:36:12 PM »

Discovered something VERY interesting.

Blue light travels better down polycarbonate, apparently.  I stripped all of the coatings off of the rod once I saw how much better it works with my Guardian Blue Initiate V4 LE.

Also, yes I know, I look like Zohan, lol. Disco Disco!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:52:42 PM »

seems like quite the project.  i'm a bit confused about the LED melting the blade?  is it different from what comes with an UltraSabers build?
what is the overall goal with the blade?  Are you trying to make it brighter?

I, too, thought of making a depression in the blade for the retention screw to sit into allow for better grip - point for actually doing it!  Just have to make sure to line it up each time.

Take it back to Newton's 2nd law, force = mass x acceleration

So if you think of how much thicker this "blade" is overall it (being a similar material) therefore has that much more mass. Implying that the force generated when you swing (accelerate it) and then gets transferred into the intended target is going to be that much greater. It's why all the warnings, they are well needed! If US blades are meant to be durable and for dueling/sparring only with armor, well this thing is beyond that threshold. If US blades leave bruises, this would probably break bone if used at full power by the wielder. Basically it may very well kill what's attacking you, if used in such a way... I've been attacked before by a pack of wild dogs, also by foolhardy assailants. I fully understand the desire to be equipped with something of this sort if in a truly dangerous place, alone, and after dark. As mentioned, looking into local laws would be wise, because law enforcement would generally classify that as a legitimate weapon. He just wanted it to have a bit of flare, because no one said fighting for one's life had to be boring/dull. Yeah, I'd also say never and I mean NEVER use something like this setup on any human being who hasn't demonstrated lethal intent toward you or unless they're attacking you with a lethal weapon... Some solid blows to the head from this thing and, that fight is likely over permanently. The Sith within loves the design, purely combat capable.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:09:58 AM »

Take it back to Newton's 2nd law, force = mass x acceleration

So if you think of how much thicker this "blade" is overall it (being a similar material) therefore has that much more mass. Implying that the force generated when you swing (accelerate it) and then gets transferred into the intended target is going to be that much greater. It's why all the warnings, they are well needed! If US blades are meant to be durable and for dueling/sparring only with armor, well this thing is beyond that threshold. If US blades leave bruises, this would probably break bone if used at full power by the wielder. Basically it may very well kill what's attacking you, if used in such a way... I've been attacked before by a pack of wild dogs, also by foolhardy assailants. I fully understand the desire to be equipped with something of this sort if in a truly dangerous place, alone, and after dark. As mentioned, looking into local laws would be wise, because law enforcement would generally classify that as a legitimate weapon. He just wanted it to have a bit of flare, because no one said fighting for one's life had to be boring/dull. Yeah, I'd also say never and I mean NEVER use something like this setup on any human being who hasn't demonstrated lethal intent toward you or unless they're attacking you with a lethal weapon... Some solid blows to the head from this thing and, that fight is likely over permanently. The Sith within loves the design, purely combat capable.

Your evaluation of why I built this, is spot on, DarthProdigal.  I wanted a fun self defense "stick" that I can carry at night that acts as both a safety light, and an implement for dissuading an assailant. Either two or four legged. 

You are correct about the mass.  This now has the weight and balance of a katana.  I may put a secondary safety pin that utilizes the top of the emitter windows on my Initiate V4, as a secondary safety to prevent launching.  The mass of the "blade" is truly that great.

Thank you for taking the time to read over this, my Sith friend.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 02:03:30 AM »

Your evaluation of why I built this, is spot on, DarthProdigal.  I wanted a fun self defense "stick" that I can carry at night that acts as both a safety light, and an implement for dissuading an assailant. Either two or four legged. 

You are correct about the mass.  This now has the weight and balance of a katana.  I may put a secondary safety pin that utilizes the top of the emitter windows on my Initiate V4, as a secondary safety to prevent launching.  The mass of the "blade" is truly that great.

Thank you for taking the time to read over this, my Sith friend.

Not a problem at all, these types of things in their varied forms are my bread and butter. It's in my description, I love weaponry of any and all types. From "for fun" all the way up to and including more "effective" varieties. Now this is also because I've been trained to use such things and operate within reason. Though I'm surely a collector and admirer of many things. And building something is always a great joy. It's also good to be able to do your own maintenance and repairs if need be.

But yes, I understand the practicality. Life is not always rainbows and sunshine, sometimes you enter a "high level area" while wandering and need to rely on some of those "aggressive negotiations" Jedi are so fond of. It's all remarkably Theodore Roosevelt in the "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." thoughts toward foreign policy. (Which I obviously don't mean toward foreign relations in this context, so much as certain potential altercations listed in my previously posted comment.)

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 02:07:51 AM »

First, looking like the Zohan is something to be very proud of. Hopefully you have the silky smooth lightsaber moves to match.

I assume that wouldn't fall under the realm of a concealed weapon, as you're not concealing it at all, and probably couldn't conceal it unless you are Shaq wearing a trench coat?

It's really quite a functional design it seems, being both a sturdy stick and also having an integrated light source. Part of me kind of wants to replicate a similar design, but with a cane handle on the end of the hilt, like Tera Sinube's sabercane. That way if I'm going for a stroll at night, I can use it like a cane, which will draw less attention, as it would looks like a slightly exotic cane, as opposed to more of a stick or baton being carried around. But  I suppose that carries its own "risk" of someone perceiving the carrier as a potential target for needing to use a cane. Although once that cane is brandished and flourished in self defense and it become evident that the wielder has no trouble walking at all, I suppose that perceived weakness would vanish pretty quickly.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 02:32:23 AM »

First, looking like the Zohan is something to be very proud of. Hopefully you have the silky smooth lightsaber moves to match.

I assume that wouldn't fall under the realm of a concealed weapon, as you're not concealing it at all, and probably couldn't conceal it unless you are Shaq wearing a trench coat?

It's really quite a functional design it seems, being both a sturdy stick and also having an integrated light source. Part of me kind of wants to replicate a similar design, but with a cane handle on the end of the hilt, like Tera Sinube's sabercane. That way if I'm going for a stroll at night, I can use it like a cane, which will draw less attention, as it would looks like a slightly exotic cane, as opposed to more of a stick or baton being carried around. But  I suppose that carries its own "risk" of someone perceiving the carrier as a potential target for needing to use a cane. Although once that cane is brandished and flourished in self defense and it become evident that the wielder has no trouble walking at all, I suppose that perceived weakness would vanish pretty quickly.

Thank you for the compliment, Sir!  I enjoy simple designs. I even stripped the coating off of the blade once I realized the Guardian Blue didn't seem to need it.

My technique is.....workmanlike.  Like a carpenter hammering, or a mechanic turning a wrench.  Just an ordinary move, done enough times.......nothing to see here.  My most recent Sensei made me do 100 strikes, with each hand, nightly, for 100 days straight.  I wound up adding more daily until I was up to 300 strikes with each hand.  I understand why she practices like this, now.  It became addictive.  This saber has the mass for me to do meaningful practice in this manner, now. I do just want to make everyone Silky Smooth..... DO YOUR PELL WORK, PADAWANS. Also....Kiwi Watermelon Fizzy Bublac is the best. 

I was thinking of a similar cane design, a little while back. I puzzled out that a Tonfa extension from the US friendly saber customization shop would probably work, but an emitter would have to be used because the blade would need to sit further away from the body. The reason for that is due to the LED needing to be mounted in the mouth of the Tonfa coupler.  I would love to see this if you decide to do it.

I chose the simple saber design, instead of a cane, but it stows more easily inside my smaller fuel-efficient vehicle, can be tucked up the back of my arm when walking so as to not  so conscpicously advertise that I'm carrying something.  Even then it wouldn't be considered concealed, and even if it was I have the proper licensing for such a thing.  I am also far more familiar with sword and staff type weapons, than 90 degree angle ones, honestly.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 02:48:46 AM »

It's an interesting project. Sounds heavy and dangerous. Just out of curiosity, what do you think you might encounter on a walk that can't be handled by a heavy grade blade? It's my understanding that those are very tough.

Discovered something VERY interesting.

Blue light travels better down polycarbonate, apparently.  I stripped all of the coatings off of the rod once I saw how much better it works with my Guardian Blue Initiate V4 LE.

That's because blue light is higher in the visible spectrum than green. Violet would probably travel even farther, and white the farthest. Whatever you do, don't try red. That won't travel very far at all.

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 02:59:49 AM »

It's an interesting project. Sounds heavy and dangerous. Just out of curiosity, what do you think you might encounter on a walk that can't be handled by a heavy grade blade? It's my understanding that those are very tough.

That's because blue light is higher in the visible spectrum than green. Violet would probably travel even farther, and white the farthest. Whatever you do, don't try red. That won't travel very far at all.

Tough is one thing.  Enough mass to deter something, is another.  I love my heavy grade blades, they are amazing for sparring.  I would NEVER spar someone with this.  As you so adroitly said, it's both heavy and dangerous.  Which is the reason I built it.  I AM NOT KNOCKING HEAVY GRADE BLADES IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I LOVE THEM.

I know what I encounter on walks around here. Coyotes, stray dogs, the occasional "overly friendly" drug addict. I have wanted something to play with on my walks. Something sabery, as it's my new hobby. Stray animals also shy away from bright lights and loud sounds.  This saber has both.  And a solid blade, in case I need to create defensive space.  

Thank you for enlightening me!  I will definitely have to try Violet next.  A Mace Windu version of this saber is definitely in order!

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 03:03:35 AM »

Thank you for the compliment, Sir!  I enjoy simple designs. I even stripped the coating off of the blade once I realized the Guardian Blue didn't seem to need it.

My technique is.....workmanlike.  Like a carpenter hammering, or a mechanic turning a wrench.  Just an ordinary move, done enough times.......nothing to see here.  My most recent Sensei made me do 100 strikes, with each hand, nightly, for 100 days straight.  I wound up adding more daily until I was up to 300 strikes with each hand.  I understand why she practices like this, now.  It became addictive.  This saber has the mass for me to do meaningful practice in this manner, now. I do just want to make everyone Silky Smooth..... DO YOUR PELL WORK, PADAWANS. Also....Kiwi Watermelon Fizzy Bublac is the best. 

I was thinking of a similar cane design, a little while back. I puzzled out that a Tonfa extension from the US friendly saber customization shop would probably work, but an emitter would have to be used because the blade would need to sit further away from the body. The reason for that is due to the LED needing to be mounted in the mouth of the Tonfa coupler.  I would love to see this if you decide to do it.

I chose the simple saber design, instead of a cane, but it stows more easily inside my smaller fuel-efficient vehicle, can be tucked up the back of my arm when walking so as to not  so conscpicously advertise that I'm carrying something.  Even then it wouldn't be considered concealed, and even if it was I have the proper licensing for such a thing.  I am also far more familiar with sword and staff type weapons, than 90 degree angle ones, honestly.
Major props to you for a fun and functional design. I also have no experience with 90-degre angled hand-to-hand weapons, but I was thinking less tonfa and more Tera Sanube's sabercane, which is still used like a "normal" hilted lightsaber in combat, and has, for a lack of a better description, the "cane" part that can functionally be just a fancy large custom pommel if I'm being honest. Give you a place to hold it as cane when walking, but not to be held during combat.

Either way, major props once again.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 03:04:45 AM »

I know what I encounter on walks around here. Coyotes, stray dogs, the occasional "overly friendly" drug addict. I have wanted something to play with on my walks. Something sabery, as it's my new hobby. Stray animals also shy away from bright lights and loud sounds.  This saber has both.  And a solid blade, in case I need to create defensive space.

OK, that answers that, I was wondering what you'd encounter. I personally wouldn't want to mess with a coyote and would definitely want to deter it ASAP. And drug addicts. Ugh! Yeah, a good shwacker stick is definitely a good thing to have on hand.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 03:12:02 AM »

Very interesting! Ironically, the red blade may well suit a Sith the best then, as having the light travel only partially down the blade/pipe in a low-light environment could probably throw off an opponent's perception of the saber's reach, thinking that the actual weapon ends where the light ends.

JoleeBindo
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 03:25:17 AM »

Oh, I see your design now!  I was thinking traditional cane, and that was the only way that I could think of to make one.  I would love to see something like that cane!

Scifi, unfortunately I've been tailed by our big southern coyotes here before, and you're right, facing one would not be any kind of fun.  The light and sound would do more to deter one of those, than a schwacker stick. I love that term.  The schwackiness of this stick is for potential two legged pests, to be honest.  I hope to never need it!  I'd been using a good quality Japanese white oak bokken as a "walking stick" but it did always draw lots of looks. Not necessarily the good kind.  A lightsaber always gets laughs and OH COOL reactions from people.  So this is kind of a hiding in plain sight thing.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: