Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Once and Future King  (Read 4875 times)
Liera Buraaisuh
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 35

Mando'ad She'laar, Light Side Jetii

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 11:48:50 AM »

Interlude

Sitting at his desk in the Journeymen Protector’s main base, legs up as he leaned back in his chair, he looked over the recent reports and let out a frustrated sigh. Lately with the new ‘laws’ being handed down to them by the Governor of Manda’yaim there had been more reports of unrest and acts of thievery. Everyone was beginning to feel the full brunt of the restrictions and if they weren’t careful it could erupt into violence.

His comm pinged and he took a deep breath before answering. “Hello, this is Journeyman Vhehn. How can I help you?” He said in his most calm and neutral tone.

“Kalash? This is… Din Djarin.” Sitting up he let his legs drop from the desk in surprise.

“Din! It’s good to hear from you.” Honestly he hadn’t thought the beskar clad warrior would actually call him. He was just a lowly Journeyman Protector after all. But he had hoped, and it looked like that hope was paying off. “Is, uh, is there a problem you need help with?”

Did it make him a terrible person that he hoped there was something he could help the man with? Maybe. Probably. Only a little.

“I…” There was a slight pause and Kalash swore he could hear his own heartbeat in his ears. “Heard there was a local shooting range. I’ve never been there and was wondering… if you, uh, might like to show me… around.”

He could have sworn he misheard for a moment before the words clicked. “Really!?” He asked excitedly before forcing himself to act calm. He didn’t want to scare Din off by seeming too eager. “I, ahem, I’d be more than happy to show you around. What day?”

“Tomorrow, if you have the time. I work nights so mid-day to evening would be best.” Kalash wondered what kind of work Din did but put it out of his mind for the time being.

“Tomorrow sounds great! I have the day off. Where would you like to meet up?” Thank his lucky stars he’d taken Mira’s shift last week, which freed him up for the next day. It meant he didn’t have to scramble to find someone to replace him.

“How about… Di’ajab’s diner?” He sounded uncertain but that was probably because he was new to the area.

“Sounds good. See you tomorrow around… an hour after mid-meal?” Normally he’d have invited someone out for a meal first, so he could observe their likes and dislikes. Cooking what his potential partners liked was just one of the ways he tended to show his interest. But he knew that Din followed the Creed and asking him to go out somewhere you’d usually take off your helmet seemed… wrong. Like he was putting pressure on him.

“That works for me. I’ll… see you tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow then. Have a good one, Djarin.” Before he could make a fool of himself he quickly ended the comm.

Kalash sat there for a moment, dazed, before he pumped his fist in the air. He was glad his bucket was on so no one could see the goofy grin on his face, otherwise he’d never hear the end of it from his colleagues.

Going home at the end of the day, mind racing, he let himself into the main living area of the Vhehn compound. His attention must have been elsewhere as he nearly stumbled when something slammed into his leg.

Looking down into large gray eyes under messy dark hair he smiled. “Hey there My’ika.” He said with a chuckle, picking up the three year old and cuddling him close. “Where’s your buir, huh?”

“Myles! There you are.” Speak of the devil. Turning he nodded at his tat'ika as they ran over to take the child from him.

“Welcome back, ori’tat.” Sharp amber eyes scanned him carefully before their brow rose in question. “You seem cheery today. Something good happen?”

Thankfully he didn’t have to answer as a booming voice called from the other end of the room. “Kal’ika! Come grab something to eat before your ba’vodu devours it all!” His buir said with a wide grin, amber eyes bright and teasing.

“Oh, shove it, you old striil!” His ba’vodu said with a scowl as the other gathered members of Clan Vhehn laughed.

“Is that any way to talk to your ori’tat?” His buir said with a shake of her head. “No respect nowadays.” She lamented dramatically.

“One sec!” He called back as he took off his helmet and set it down with the others on the low table near the door. His tat’ika was still watching him, eyes narrowed, but he did his best to ignore them as he wandered over to the long table.

Two large pots of tiingilar sat on one end of the table, along with freshly made flatbread and a covered dish of seasoned grains. Grabbing a plate he shoveled some grains onto it before looking at the two different pots. Just from the color alone he knew which one was likely to set his entire face on fire. Taking a large scoop from the mild tiingilar and a small scoop from the more spicy tiingilar he poured them over his grains and grabbed two pieces of flatbread.

Looking down the table he rolled his eyes when his tat’ika patted the bench next to them, handing Myles over to their riduur so they could eat in peace.

Taking his seat between his tat’ika and his older cousin he dug into the meal.

“Slow down, Kal’ika, you’ll choke.” His buir admonished as she poured him one of the blended fruit and yogurt drinks he liked from the large pitcher. “What’s gotten into you, today? You’re a bit more energetic than usual.” She asked as she set the cup down.

“That’s what I said!” His tat'ika said with a grin beside him. “He seems more cheerful today, right?”

“Oh, I know what it is.” Tamen said across from him, a shell-eating grin on his face. “It’s about that shiny new verd you were so excited about the other day isn’t it? The one with the beskar spear you made eyes at.”

“He’s not just some verd.” He said firmly. “Din is from the Djarin Clan and I met him after he’d saved a child!” He said in his own defense. He was certain that any one of them, except his cousin Atri who wasn’t interested in people that way, would have felt at least a little flustered after meeting Din.

“Djarin, hm? Should have known. You have a type, Kal’ika.” His ba’vodu said with a snort.

Kalash felt his face heating up as his family members started to snicker at his predicament.

“Oh Manda, does he ever.” His tat'ika said with an amused smile. “But spill, what’s got you so excited?”

Letting out a long-suffering sigh he glared at his family, although there was no heat in it. “Verd Djarin commed me earlier.” He admitted.

“I knew it!” Tamen crowed.

Kalash did not throw his flatbread at his cousin’s stupid face. No matter what anyone says they saw.

“I didn’t see that, and I don’t expect to see it on the floor later either.” His buir said without looking at him.

Kalash tried to hide his blush but wasn’t very successful. “He asked me to show him around the shooting range. I think he’s just moved here from Manda’yaim and doesn’t know where everything is yet.” He said with a small shrug.

“Kal’ika has a date!” His tat’ika said with a gleam in their eyes.

“It’s not a date.” He argued. “I don’t want to presume, that’s not fair to verd Djarin.”

His buir’s expression softened into something pleased and proud. “I raised a good ad. Conscientious and kind.”

“Buir.” He sighed, much to the amusement of his family.

“Well good luck, ori’tat. But I don’t think you’ll need it.” His tat'ika said with a sincere smile.

“Thanks Nostra.” He said, knocking their pauldrons together gently.

“Alright. You know what this means?” His buir asked.

“That we should get ready to hear Kal’ika gush like an idiot when he gets back from his little date?” Veld muttered down the table, rolling her eyes.

“That it’s Tamen’s turn to go find someone to moon over.” His buir said with a wicked grin.

Tamen let out an indignant squawk and everyone erupted into more laughter.

It was good to be home.

Mando’a;

Ba'vodu- Sibling of a parent. Aunt/Uncle.
Striil- Striil are a hunting animal native to Mandalore. They have six legs with webbed skin between them which they use to glide.
Tiingilar- A spicy Mandalorian dish. Sometimes described as a stew, other times described as a curry or rice dish.
Riduur- Spouse.
Buir- Parent.
Tat, Tate- Concord Dawn Dialect version of Vod/Vode, meaning Sibling/Brother/Sister.
Ori'tat- Older sibling.
Tat'ika- Younger sibling.
Verd- Warrior, also soldier.

Liera Buraaisuh
Knight Officer

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2022, 06:57:39 AM »

Chapter 9

Laying flat against the ground he took a few slow even breaths. All the noise around him dimmed, ceasing to be important as he focused solely on his target. Inhale, pause, pull the trigger, exhale. It all happened in the span of two heartbeats. The target shattered and Din smiled to himself in quiet satisfaction.

Then the feelings of awe, surprise, amusement, and wonder slammed into him like the Mudhorn that had become his signet. He gasped in surprise, body tense.

“Take a deep breath, ner ad, you know how to filter it out. We’ve been working on your shielding.” Tarre’s voice said softly, as if she were right next to him.

Without replying to his buir he pulled up the shields and sighed in relief when the emotions around him dampened to an acceptable level. He stood up from the ground and checked over the sniper rifle before turning around and freezing in place. He hadn’t realized he’d collected an audience, but apparently he had.

“Did you see that? I’ve never seen anyone shatter a target with an A-280! Not from that distance at least!” One of the verde exclaimed, waving their arm in his direction in excitement.

Standing amongst them was Kalash who brightened when Din turned to glance in his direction. The man signed at him, asking if he was finished and it was safe to approach, and Din signed back an affirmative. It wasn’t necessarily a rule to ask if it was safe to approach, most beings used common sense for that, but it was nice to see someone respecting his comfort levels.

“Did you want to go another round? You’ve still got some ammo left and there’s at least fifteen more minutes on the chrono.” There was a small pang of something sad coming from the man but Din couldn’t pinpoint what it was.

Glancing at the group of gathered watchers he felt his entire back going stiff at the thought of staying any longer. Even though these people were also mando’ade he couldn’t help feeling like an outsider. Like some kind of spectacle. “I… think I’m done for today.” He said, grimacing at how meek his voice sounded to his own ears.

But Kalash just gave him a firm nod and turned to regard the gathered group. Din thought he heard a mutter of ‘should have thought of that, doesn’t like attention-’ before the verd was squaring his shoulders and striding toward the group. “Alright! Show’s over, I’m sure you’ve all got your own sections to go back to!” Din was surprised how well Kalash’s vocie carried. When talking with him Din had noted he was generally quite calm and soft spoken. Maybe this was a glimpse at what he looked like while doing his job as a Protector?

“Who made you range boss?” Someone asked, a flicker of anger entering their tone and presence.

The Darksaber began to hum and Din felt Tarre in the back of his mind becoming wary.

“No one, but I seem to recall the Moru’teh twins telling any rookie who steps onto their grounds that they’re not very fond of people that start betting pools without their permission. Don’t think I didn’t notice credits changing hands.” There was something sturdy and unyielding about the man now, sharp and focused.

“If you’re going to threaten me, Vhehn, don’t hide behind someone else.”

“Fine, if you want me to floor you on the mats again, Vizsla, just tell me the time and place.” Kalash said firmly, tone unwavering as he stared down the black armored verd.

‘Viszla? Them?’ Din thought at his ghostly buir.

“One of my descendants, yes, although it is only in name. I cannot sense any true link between us, they are too far removed.”

‘What do you mean? They aren’t your blood kin?’ He asked, though the idea made something in his stomach twist.

“No, you know that blood means nothing when it comes to family Din’ika. It is more… that they no longer embody the ideals of my clan, to the point where I feel disconnected from them.”

‘I see.’ He couldn’t help but feel a bit sad about that. Not for his sake, but for his buir’s.

“-my sibling thinks about this stranger you’ve brought here.” Din blinked as his focus returned to the world around him, realizing that he was the sudden focus of attention once again.

“This is no stranger. He’s Din Djarin of the Djarin clan, a warrior bound by the Creed no less. I’m sure you know what that means, Vizsla.” Kalash said, voice lowering slightly as if Din’s clan was some sort of threat that could be used to cow others.

What that said about his clan he had no idea. If he was asked directly the only real thing he could definitively say about his clan was that their motto was ‘strike strong and true.’

“My clan has no quarrel with the Djarin clan.” The verd gave him a curt nod of acknowledgment that Din cautiously returned. He didn’t want to start a fight here in neutral territory but he also didn’t want to get too friendly with the Vizsla clan. Not when he was currently trying to diminish their influence over the orphanage. “Although no one warned us there would be a Djarin visiting. Normally something like that would be big news.” They tacked on, helmet tilted as they took in his appearance more thoroughly.

Din’s back straightened under the scrutiny and he felt the force around him prickle with his unease. “My business is my own.” He said evenly. “Not official Clan business.” He really didn’t want the Djarin clan to notice him, not yet at least. He was certain that carrying their name without any proof of the buir who adopted him would spell nothing but trouble.

‘Have no fear, child mine. They will adore you. Now breathe.’ His buir whispered, gently calming his nerves until he was less likely to panic.

The black clad verd scoffed. “Djarin business is everyone’s business. Even from a lone verd’ika.”

Kalash glared at Vizsla, turning impressively calm in the force. “You are treading into dangerous territory, trying to discredit a Djarin.”

“Only if he is a Djarin. I don’t see the aliik anywhere on that armor.” The verd snapped back, sounding smug.

Din realized that it was true, even as he bristled at the accusation. His buir had adopted him before the Bes’goran, the spiritual leader of the Covert. You couldn’t get more official than that.

As everyone stiffened at the insult being thrown his way a familiar voice spoke above the stunned silence. “Gilan Vizsla. By all rights Verd Djarin could very well challenge you to an Ija’kaanir, and I would very much let him do it right here and now. Considering the spear on his back and how easily he took out all of those targets I imagine he is as well trained as any Djarin who has left their clan for the first time, which does not bode well for you.”

It appeared to be Danni Moru’teh yet something about their presence felt… off. Different. Din assumed this was their much talked about twin, Kenni.

“I thought fights weren’t permitted on these grounds?” One of the verde with Vizsla piped up.

“Only because it’s a mess to clean up and we don’t want you all to think you can just screw around out here. But for this? We’d make an exception. This is more than just an argument over cheating or credits. You insinuated Verd Djarin’s right to set foot on our property is null because he is not yet of age, while also calling into question the fact that he is a Djarin at all. Those are serious accusations, Vizsla. And they affect more than Verd Djarin.”

Gilan Vizsla stood there, hands clenched at their sides, and Din could feel how the force turned turbulent around them. After a long moment of silence they turned stiffly toward him and bowed their head. “I eat my insult, Verd Djarin.” It sounded as if it were coming through clenched teeth but that didn’t matter. They had admitted their mistake in front of witnesses.

“I accept.” He didn’t want to, not really, but accepting now would cause less problems for him in the future. Currently he didn’t have the backing of the Djarin clan, nor did he have allies in any other clan. He couldn’t let them know he had a vendetta against the Vizsla clan quite yet.

“Good. Now that everything is settled I want you all to get back to what you were doing. Either that or leave if your time is up.” The warrior that he thought was Kenni Moru’teh said firmly.

As they were shooing everyone away Kalash stepped closer to him, feeling concerned and a little sheepish. “Are you alright Din? I wanted to apologize if my getting involved was overstepping. I know you’re more than capable of standing up for yourself but, well, my clan has a bit of a small… rivalry with the Vizsla clan.” The poor man felt so sheepish and guilty. It was kind of endearing.

“No, you didn’t overstep. And… thank you, for having my back.” The man brightened in the force, though he still felt a little embarrassed. “Do you… think we could leave now?”

Kalash’s mood fell slightly but he quickly nodded. “Of course. Our time is practically up now anyway so we might as well clean up and head out. Did you, er, need a guide anywhere else? Or just back to the Diner?” It was obvious the man didn’t want to end the day on such a sour note.

Din thought about it for a moment and realized that he hadn’t really had enough time to speak with Kalash about potentially allying with his clan. Or at least laying the groundwork to ask. “Any local training yards? I don’t have any space to practice with my spear where I’m currently staying.”

Kalash’s presence turned curious. “There are a few local training areas for visitors or verde who don’t live here full time. I can show you one my clan frequents when we don’t have enough space at home, or we want to sow off.” He said, giving off equal amounts of anticipation, nerves, and amusement.

“That sounds great.” Catching movement out of the corner of his eye he turned as the second Moru’teh twin stepped closer.

“Hello there. I’m Kenni Moru’teh, but you could probably tell who I was from the armor.” The new verd said with a small chuckle. “I’m sorry that you had a hard time of it, Vizsla can be a bully when they feel they’ve been shown up. I hope you know that Danni, I, and our Clan aren’t going to let that kind of thing continue. We won’t stand for it. Our place is neutral ground, you follow our rules and you’ll always be welcome.”

Din smiled and gave them a polite nod of understanding. “Thank you for intervening. I don’t want a fight with the Vizsla clan.” Not yet.

Kalash snorted next to him. “Few verde do. They have a lot of influence around here.” He shook his head and let out a frustrated sigh.

“Don’t worry about it, Verd Djarin. If they try to start something I have the whole thing saved on my helmet. The Moru’teh clan will back you.”

“You have my gratitude.” He said formally, earning him a flash of amusement and curiosity from the two of them.

“Well anyway, it was nice to meet you but I have to go back to work. You have yourself a good afternoon. You too Kal’ika. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” They said with a cackle and a wave as they walked away.

Kalash let out a sound of indignation, presence awash with warmth and embarrassment. The man turned back to him and gave a ‘what can you do’ kind of shrug.

Din smiled and motioned toward the gear they’d left on the ground near the range controls. “Why don’t we pack up and head out?”

“Good idea.” He said, muttering under his breath ‘before something else goes sideways.’

After they finished grabbing their gear and making sure the controls had been reset for whoever used the range next the two of them made their way back outside. As they walked Kalash asked him for tips on better weapons handling and in exchange he offered some of the local gossip about the other clans in the area.

“Well you already know about the Vizsla, Moru’teh, and my own clan of Vhehn.” The man said, arms crossed as he thought it over. “Of the scattered clans around here I’d say the ones who hold the most power after Vizlsa would be the Saxon and Vhip’uur clans. Ignoring the fact that the Bes’laar clan could bring any of them to heel if they were so inclined.”

Din frowned slightly. “Bes’laar?” Of the clans named the only ones knew of from his own time were Vizlsa and Saxon. But the name did sound familiar, something in the back of his mind humming with recognition.

Kalash looked at him as if surprised. “Yes? They’re the most powerful clan on all of Concord Dawn, but they are very small and don’t get involved with the other clans very often. Much like your own clan, I imagine.”

“I see.” He said, nodding as if he understood. Of course he had no idea what the man was referring to. But at least now he had a new name to research.

Turning another street corner Din felt a flicker of familiarity in the force and turned as a young voice called out to him. “Din!”

Running up to him excitedly, dragging his friend behind him, was Jaster. Hak’ruul’ujak stumbled but miraculously didn’t fall over as the two children stopped in front of him, one grinning madly and the other feeling exasperated but pleased.

“Still alive, Jaster, Haj?” He asked aloud even as he signed towards he Tusken child. |Suns blessings to you, Hak’ruul’ujak.|

“Yup! We’re on our way to Haj’s place. This is the first time they’ve invited me over!” The boy said, eyes bright with excitement but presence buzzing with nerves.

“Is that so?” He asked, looking to the Tusken child for confirmation. |Your Tribe has agreed to allow an outsider into their midst?|

|I have asked permission for Little Chief to be declared my battle-bonded sibling. The Tribe wishes to learn about Little Chief before they allow it.| The child said with proud and determined hand signs.

Din could see Jaster watching their hands as they spoke, face scrunched up with concentration. He chuckled and turned to the boy. “Your friend is honoring you by allowing you to meet their Tribe.”

“Um, Verd Djarin?” Turning back to Kalash he saw the man looking down at the children, his body language relaxed even as his presence burned with curiosity. It was obvious at a glance that the man adored kids and was around them a lot. His open and non-threatening stance spoke to that.

“Kalash Vhehn, this is Jaster Mereel and his vod Hak’ruul’ujak. We met after I’d just arrived to the planet. Jaster, Haj, this is Kalash Vhehn.” As he spoke he automatically signed he Tusken child’s name, which seemed to catch Vhehn’s attention.

“I didn’t realize you spoke Desert-Hand. Any other secrets you hiding there Verd Djarin?” The man asked with a chuckle and a shake of the head before turning towards the children. “Nice to meet you, adiike. As I see it, any friend of Verd Djarin’s is someone I should get to know.”

Din grimaced within the safety of his helmet. He knew that Kalash had meant it as a joke but he couldn’t help feeling a little guilty about keeping things from someone he wanted as an ally. Sure personal matters weren’t anyone else’s business, but Din being from the future wasn’t a ‘personal’ matter. It was something that could save or damn the entire Mandalorian peoples.

‘Breathe, my child. Release your feelings, center your thoughts. Focus on now.’ Tarre instructed quietly.

Doing as she said he suddenly felt much lighter.

“You’re a JouPro!?” Blinking in surprise at the sharp and spiky feelings coming off Jaster he wondered what he’d missed while he had been focusing on his buir.

“I am.” Kalash said honestly, kneeling so he was about the same height as the children. “But do you really think Verd Djarin would be hanging around with me if he thought I was a bad person?” He asked calmly, even as the boy bristled. Haj reached into their over-robe and Din knew they were going for one of many concealed weapons favored by the Tuskens.

“Jaster.” He said quietly but firmly, waiting until the boy was looking at him before continuing. “Kalash has been nothing but helpful, respectful, and generous since I met him. I was hoping we could become friends, since I… since I had to leave behind all of my other friends when I came here.” It was as close to the truth as he could get while also making it easier for a child to understand.

Jaster watched him quietly for a moment before letting out an angry huff. “Kay.” He turned to Kalash and glowered. “Swear you won’t hurt Din or my friends.” He suddenly demanded.

Kalash placed one fist against his chest plate. “I swear I will not hurt you, your friends, or Verd Djarin. Truth, honor, and vision.” He said seriously, with no hint of the bubbling mirth he was barely keeping contained.

Jaster scrutinized him for another long moment before glancing at his friend.

Haj gave him a sage nod and a quickly signed |honor-pact, accept.|

“Okay, I accept your oath. Don’t break it.” The boy said, voice taking on an imperious note.

Din’s shoulders shook with silent laughter as Kalash thumped his chest with his fist and bowed his head, like one of the warriors of an old tale reporting to their clan chief. “Thank you, Kih’alor. I will do my best not to disappoint you.” His voice wavered only slightly and Din knew, without a doubt, that the man was smiling behind his visor.

“Goo- hey! I’m not small!” The boy whined. “Din! I’m not small!” The boy stared at him with large pleading eyes and a furious pout.

Din’s control broke. Leaning forward he placed his hands against his thighs and began to laugh, unable to remain upright under the onslaught of hilarity swirling around the group. Something bright and warm grew around them as Kalash, Haj, and finally Jaster began to laugh.

Out of the corner of his eye he could see Tarre standing next to them, watching them all and looking very pleased with herself.

Once Din was finished laughing he’d ask if Jaster and Haj had some time to kill before they arrived at Haj’s home. Sparring with Kalash should help them be more at ease with the man and he knew that Jaster was curious about how he wielded his spear. Glancing at the man next to him who was fending off angry little fists he had a sneaking suspicion Vhehn would be more than happy to give the kids a show.

As Kalash glanced over at him Din swore he could hear Tarre whispering in the back of his mind; ‘you will raise warriors.’

Mando'a;

Verd’ika- Meaning ‘Little Warrior.’ A young warrior just past their adulthood ceremony, one that is still learning to fight well. A Private in the military hierarchy. Or used as an endearment when referring to children.
Aliik- Sigil. A clan symbol.
Bes’goran- More than a simple blacksmith or armorer. They are the ones with the ability to forge Beskar, as well as being the spiritual leaders of any Clan/House/Covert. They hold ancient knowledge of the Mandalorian people and are highly respected no matter which Clan they come from.
Ija’kaanir- Honor duel. Where two warriors fight until one of the participants either falls unconscious or taps out and admits their defeat. (Made of the words Ijaat- honor, and Akaanir- fight)
Adiike- Children between the ages of 3-13.
Kih’alor- Small/Little leader.

Liera Buraaisuh
Knight Officer

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2023, 05:39:18 PM »

Chapter 10: Part 1

Tackling his opponent to the ground he heard a sharp wheeze from their vocoder. While they were stunned he whipped his spear off his back and quickly pressed the tip against the edge of their helmet. The ringing sound of beskar hitting beskar was loud in the sudden silence that followed the downfall of his opponent. Din's chest heaved with effort as he stared implacably down at the man beneath him, a warrior who had given him a good run for his credits.

Slowly the man raised his hands, free of any weapons. "I yield. Good fight." There was a sense of pride, even in defeat, radiating off the man that had Din flushing slightly under his helmet. He swore he could feel the man's warmth on his skin, even through their undersuits and beskar'gam, but that was just his mind playing tricks.

He pulled back his spear and levered himself off of his opponent. Slipping his spear back in place he reached out and offered to help him to his feet. The moment Kalash took his arm the sound of cheers finally broke through his focus and he turned to smile at the children who had gathered to watch their match.

On the way to the training yard they had somehow stumbled upon the rest of Jaster's little squad. Who all decided to invite themselves along, of course.

"So it's true what they say about Djarins, huh? 'Beskar dances in their hands, their strikes are strong and true.'" Kalash said with a mix of awe and playful amusement.

Din almost froze for a moment but nodded at the man as if he agreed. Had that been the full motto of his Clan? The one his buir had always shortened for him because the Mando'a was difficult for him to pronounce when he was just beginning to learn?

"Din! Din!" Looking down when there was a sudden weight on his arm he smiled indulgently down at Jaster. "Will you teach me to use a spear like that? That was so cool!" He grinned up at Din with all the unfettered joy and excitement of a child, and it was hard not to agree right then and there.

So hard not to promise he'd teach the child all he knew. So that he could protect himself and his vod'ika… but he couldn't.

"I… I could show you some things on my days off. But we'll have to find you a practice spear." He said hesitantly, trying not to make his words into an oath that any mando'ad would recognize.

"Awesome!" Thankfully Jaster didn't seem to notice his hesitance, too excited from the spar and the possibility of learning to fight.

He felt a tingle down the back of his neck and glanced toward Kalash who was watching him, a faint confusion and hesitance in his stance. His helmet tilted down to the children and Din knew he was asking himself why Din hadn't just adopted the kid already.

"Alright, that's enough excitement. Don't you have an important Clan visit to get to?" He asked while signing at Hak'ruul'ujak. |If you are too late your Chieftain and Elders will scold you.|

That seemed to be enough for the Tusken child as they stood a little straighter and came to fetch the other child hanging off Din's arm. |Little Chief, we must go!| They signed, still going slow so that Jaster could follow along.

"Oh, okay. We have to go Din!" |First Warrior| "Haj says we need to leave now." The boy said, signing exactly as his friend had taught him.

"Be safe on your way. Maybe we'll meet again."

Jaster hesitated for a moment before darting forward and hugging his waist. "We'll definitely meet again." The boy said before darting off to stand next to his friend, who had already made it halfway to the dojo's entrance.

Din stood there in a slight daze as the other children said their good-byes so they could walk with Jaster and Haj. A hand on his shoulder, between pauldron and neck guard, brought him back to himself and he turned just as Kalash was pulling his hand away sheepishly.

"You seemed far away for a minute there." 'I was worried.' The man didn't say but his presence pulsed with the feeling.

"I'm fine. Just… it's been a while since an ad did that." He motioned toward where Jaster and his little squad had disappeared. "Brought back some old memories."

"Good ones, I hope?" Kalash asked gently.

"Yeah, yeah they were good." For all their flaws and all the hardship of living in the Covert they had done their best to do right by the children. But to see Mandalorian children running around without fear, without having to hide who and what they were- it was uplifting.

It was also a reminder of the heavy burden he now bore. To find and help the new Mand'alor rise to power and save their entire people.

"I think it's about time we let someone else have this space. Why don't I walk you back to the diner?" Kalash's voice brought him back out of his musings again and he let out a small sigh.

"Sounds good."

The trip back was silent in an uncomfortable way. He could feel how Kalash wanted to say something but would hesitate before keeping quiet. Likewise Din himself had no idea what to say. He'd always been more about taking action rather than speaking.

"I think you sell yourself short, ner ad. You can speak and speak well when you have need." Tarre said quietly beside him. "I'm certain that when the time comes your words will be more than adequate."

Din didn't acknowledge her aloud but he knew she could feel his gratitude along their bond. Even though he didn't really believe her.

When the diner finally came into view the two of them stopped.

"Do you-" "I just wanted to-" They both spoke at once and Din could practically taste the awkwardness around them. It was starting to become his least favourite feeling in the Force.

"After you, Verd Djarin." Kalash said, nervous energy pooling around him like a miasma.

"Din." He said firmly. "After today I'd like to think we're… friendly enough to call each other by name. Kalash."

The man lit up like a miniature sun, leaving Din blinking in confusion.

"Of course! I just didn't want to presume." He said as he fidgeted in place, seemingly too full of happy energy to stay perfectly still. "Uh, what was it you wanted to say, Din?"

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Would you like to do this again some time? The sparring and going to the range? I haven't really become acquainted with many people here yet and I thought… it would be nice to have a friend my own age." He said with a chuckle.

Kalash reached up and pulled off his helmet, revealing a wide grin. "Of course! I can send you my shift schedule if you like, so we can get together whenever we both have a free day." Tapping away at his vambrace the man glanced back up at him. "Maybe I can introduce you to some of my friends?"

"That sounds good to me." The more people he could get on his side the easier it would be to challenge the Vizsla clan.

Accepting the new contact he sent his own schedule in return.

"Well. I guess that's it for today then." Kalash slipped his helmet back on and looked at him, helm tilted in a way that was all open friendliness. "Safe trip home, Din. We'll talk soon?"

Din nodded. "Soon."

He watched the man stroll down the street for a time, lost in thought, before Tarre appeared.

"That wasn't so bad, was it? He's a nice young man, quite sturdy in spirit. And you had some time to relax and unwind, yes?"

'Could have done without Vizsla's accusations.' He thought darkly.

Tarre sobered. "My descendants will fall to their own hubris in time. For now they have nothing against you besides posturing and empty words. You are the current Mand'alor. If you were to rally others to your cause they would flock to join you." She chuckled and held up her hand to stop him before he could speak. "I know your thoughts and feelings on this topic, I will not press you to become a leader before you are ready. But Din, ner ad, you will lead one day. And on that day I know you will face your duty with the same strength of spirit you have faced everything else." She gave him one last fond look before disappearing.

Din let out a heavy sigh and headed towards his lodgings. After all, he still had meditation before bed and he doubted his buir would let him take the day off just to sulk.

The next day he was back at Korrmigan's warehouse. This shift had Suik in the security office while he, Lila, and Tura were on patrol. Phal had the off shift.

The trouble started just after he'd made his quarter-hour check in to the security office and crossed paths with Tura. The lights turned off with an audible thunk and the air cycler came to a grinding halt. The lack of sudden light and sound had him frowning before the back-up lights turned on with an eerie red glow.

"Suik, what's wrong?" Static came over the comm line and he frowned. "Suik?" Switching frequencies he tried both Lila and Tura's comms before he gave up. It was obvious that someone had jammed all frequencies.

Gripping his spear he scanned the room with his advanced HUD before melting into the shadows of the warehouse.

Stalking the large echoing space it wasn't hard to find the intruders. Even as he came to the realization of who it had to be he was still surprised that the three were wearing beskar'gam and speaking Mando'a.

At their feet was Tura, whose helmet had been removed. There was blood coloring the man's platinum blonde hair and it was obvious he was unconscious.

Din felt rage bubbling up from the pit of his stomach. How dare they remove someone's helmet! Regardless of whether or not they followed The Way, all Mando'ade should be afforded the respect of not having their helmet stripped from them, even temporarily.

Without a sound he snuck as close as he dared and readied himself to ambush the three intruders. A flicker of something out of the corner of his visor had him turning and tracking the motion. Lila froze before giving him a slow nod.

|Pincer, I take left. Take-down only, non lethal.| She signed in Basic.

|Understood.| Swapping from his spear to his blasters he switched them to the second highest stun setting.

While the intruders were arguing over which other section of the warehouse to raid he and Lila got into position. The battle didn't last long. While Lila went high he went low. The moment she jumped from one of the higher shelves and slammed into the first intruder Din dove out of the shadows and took the legs out from under the second one. A couple of well placed stun bolts later and all three of the intruders were down.

Before Korrmigan could respond to the alarm the Journeymen Protectors were already on site. Din stood over the thieves and stared them down as Tura, Lila, and Suik gave their accounts of the incident. Din hadn't had the chance to give his own recounting yet but he knew there would be no problems with it.

With the lights returned to working order he now recognized one of the thieves as the person Korrmigan had fired the same day he'd hired Din. The same one who'd slammed into him and sneered before storming off in a huff.

He wondered if he could have predicted this attempted theft. Couldn't Jetiise see into the future or something? He'd have to ask his buir later.

"What do you mean you want me to come to the station?" Coming out of his thoughts he glanced up to see Suik being flanked by two Protectors. He frowned.

"The security has clearly been tampered with. As the only one in the security office you're a likely suspect as an accomplice." Said the officer on the left.

"That's banthakark! I was just a blindsided as the others!" Suik practically snarled, the feeling of offense-injured pride-self recrimination pouring off them in angry waves.

Din motioned for Lila to take over keeping an eye on the prisoners. Even if the Protectors were watching them he didn't trust the group as a whole. So far Kalash was their only redeeming member.

"You've got the wrong person." He said calmly, nodding towards Suik. "Their pride wouldn't allow them to partner with thieves, not to mention they've done nothing to warrant your suspicion."

Suik went still, staring at him with wide eyes.

"And you are-?" The officer on the right asked him, giving him a pointed once over.

"Din Djarin." Yup, that was still strange. He didn't think he'd ever get used to using his name like that. "Korrmigan's most recent hire. I recognize them," he motioned toward one of the thieves, "as a former employee. So if the security was tampered with I'd be looking at them instead."

Thankfully that's when Korrmigan hurried over to them, asking what the kark hwas going on. He quickly corroborated Din's information on the former employee before adding that they had worked in the security office so they would be familiar with the system. Freeing Suik from the suspicious looks of the Protectors.

Standing off to the side after his own quick interrogation he tilted his head in greeting when Suik came to stand next to him.

"Djarin… I wanted to thank you." They said, fidgeting with their gloves. "I've been a shabuir to you since you arrived but you stood up for me. So… I owe you one." They held out their hand for him. "Pals?"

Turning to face the grumpy verd he clasped their arm and gave a polite nod. "It was no trouble. I know you to be honest and honorable. As long as you respect my adherence to The Way we have no quarrel."

There was a flash of embarrassed warmth from the verd before they let go. "I'm not going to pull my punches, Djarin- Din. But I won't pester you about the whole mysterious stranger thing you've got going on." They said with a slightly mischievous grin.

Din snorted. "That's all I ask."

Once the Journeymen Protectors left with their prisoners Korrmigan called him over as he was checking the shipments. "Just wanted to thank you for how quickly you and Lila took out those thieves." The Chagrian said with a pleased smile.

Din was about to tell him that his thanks weren't needed but froze at his next words. "Old Boba Fett would have skinned me alive if we'd lost his newest shipment. That old striil has a reputation in these parts."

A sound much like rushing water filled his ears, or maybe it was static, as the words turned round and round his mind. "Did you- did you just say Boba Fett?"

'Oh my child.' Tarre's ghostly voice whispered. 'It is not what you think.' A warm feeling like a firm hug pressed in against him, though he knew it was only in his mind. He brushed it off and focused on his employer.

"Hm? Yes, I did. Old Fett owns a farm a few clicks out. Used to be a bounty hunter but he's retired now." Korrmigan gave him a curious look. "Why, do you know him?"

Din couldn't have spoken in that moment if he'd tried. Instead he gave his employer a curt nod of affirmation.

'You will know only heartbreak.'

"Well, someone has to take the shipment up to the farm tomorrow. I could always let you take the delivery if you want to say hello? That way I don't have to hire an extra set of hands and you get to see the old striil."

Din nodded. "That… that sounds good, thanks."

The Chagrian frowned. "Are you feeling alright? Didn't injure yourself fighting those thieves did you?"

Din cleared his throat and shook his head. "No, but I am a bit tired. Mind if I head out early this shift? I can come back rested tomorrow and take the shipment then."

The male smiled and clapped him gently on the shoulder. "Of course you can, you've earned it. Just let Suik know on the way out. After the Protectors were here we shouldn't have any more trouble tonight. But it doesn't hurt to be vigilant."

Din isn't sure what he said to the male, or his co-workers, all he knows is that he somehow made his way back to his suite and into the bathroom.

Staring at his young face in the mirror he grimaced. Would Boba even know him if he saw him now? And if Tarre had brought his vod to the past as well why hadn't she said anything?

"Buir?" He called as he came out into the main room. "Why didn't you tell me that Boba was here?" Looking around the room he frowned when Tarre didn't appear. "Buir?" Tugging on the bond he felt a ripple of emotion in reponse but the ghost of the former Mand'alor didn't appear.

Din swallowed hard as he backed into the wall behind him. Slowly he sank to the ground, a mass of confusion and hurt.

He didn't fall asleep for a long time.

Liera Buraaisuh
Knight Officer

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2023, 05:39:49 PM »

Chapter 10: Part 2

The next day he shoved his emotions in a box to deal with later, meditation was just too difficult on his own at the moment. He forced down a simple breakfast, knowing how embarrassing it would be to faint from hunger, and went straight to Korrmigan's warehouse.

His employer watched him, looking a little concerned, but backed down when Din said he was fine. "I've already got the speeder and the shipment ready for you. Here are the coordinates. It shouldn't take too long to get there and back but if you're going to be visiting just be sure to have the speeder back by night."

"I will." He nodded at a couple of the day shift guards, who waved as they went past, and put the speeder into gear.

The journey up to the Fett farm was filled with a lonely kind of contemplation. He didn't know why Tarre had gone quiet but it didn't feel as if she was ignoring him. More like her focus was somewhere else. Regardless of what she was off doing he'd be having a talk with her about disappearing without warning when she came back… if she came back.

Coming up to the farm he followed the long track all the way to a humble looking farmhouse. Stopping the speeder he sat there for a moment, taking everything in. Hopping off the speeder he unhitched the hover cart and set it to follow him the rest of the way up to the house.

As he got closer he spied a dark haired child while working on what looked to be a tilling machine out front. They looked up from what they were doing and squinted at him with dark eyes. Setting down their tools they wiped at their brow and give him a slightly wary smile. "Hi, you here to see my buir?"

Before he can respond there's a loud booming growl from somewhere behind the child. "K'ad'ika! Where's the adjustable spanner?"

The child turned away from him and cupped their hands around their mouth, "next to the pliers! But buir, we have a guest!"

"Karking child of a- it better not be one of those solicitors again!" The child tilted their head and looked back at him.

Din shook his head.

The child just shrugged and didn't answer, choosing instead to set their tools aside and wait for their buir. They didn't have to wait long as a rather large and stocky blonde with weathered skin appeared from the side of the house, wiping his hands on a grease stained towel. The mand eyed him as he came closer and held out his arm for him when they got close. "Morning, Boba Fett."

Din clasps the blonde's arm on instinct. "Din Djarin." He says in response, his voice neutral even as his spirit drops.

"What's a Djarin doing coming all the way out here for?" The man's dark eyes widen slightly in recognition and Din is getting sick of everyone knowing who his Clan was but him.

"I have a work contract with Korrmigan right now, he sent me out here with your supplies." Not quite a lie but not quite the truth either.

"Is that right? Seems a bit overkill." He said as he rounded Din and opened one of the crates. He could feel a sharp gaze on him as Fett went through his items. "Did something happen?"

Din wanted to snort in amusement as he turned to look at Fett fully. "There was an attempted theft but we dealt with them." He hesitated for a moment. "I also had personal business here."

He regretted the words the moment they left his mouth.

The one who called themselves Boba Fett straightened, dark eyes narrowed. "What personal business is that?"

He could tell that the child behind him was aiming a blaster at his back, even without looking. "During my bounty hunting I met another Fett. We became close, battle-sworn vode. But we lost track of each other. When I heard the name Fett…" He'd hoped that it was Boba, his brother in all but blood. It had been a foolish hope.

Fett watched him for a long moment before tipping his chin. Din could feel the sense of 'danger' disappear and knew the kid had lowered the blaster.

"There's not a lot of Fetts out there but our Clan was pretty large at one time. We might not even be related anymore besides the name." The man stared at him for a moment longer before his body relaxed and he smiled. "But just in case they are my long lost relative I don't think it'd be very polite to turn away a potential vod. Why don't you help me haul this to the back and we can have a chat. You can tell us all about your hunts and everything about your vod who shares our clan name."

Din knew they couldn't see his expression but that didn't stop him from smiling, even as his heart ached.

"I think I'd like that." Picking up one of the sacks he slung it over his shoulder as the kid came closer.

"By the way this is my kid, Kay Fett."

The kid grinned up at him. "Nice to meet'cha."

Din inclined his helmet politely. He didn't know of anyone named Kay, Boba either hadn't known or hadn't felt ready to talk about them yet. But he had a sneaking suspicion of who they might be.

"So what was the name of this Fett you met? Maybe I'll know them."

Din hesitated. He couldn't exactly tell them that his vod was also called Boba Fett. And besides that, Boba wasn't even born yet. He wracked his mind quickly and came up with the only other familiar name he knew from Boba's stories. "Jango. His name was Jango Fett."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: