Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: New Color Option: Arctic Blue  (Read 22854 times)
Luc ar
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

In the Force we trust

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »

I can't wait until my Anakin Skywalker ROTS stunt arrives in arctic blue. Wednesday is still so far away.

i can't wait till i can have a battle with you and that color
it looks soooo bright not sure if i can handle that kind of brightness Shocked
but i'm sure gonna try it Grin

Custom Omen - Blazing red  
Custom Dark Initiate v2 - Blazing red

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 07:17:56 AM »

Arctic Blue just replace the Sunriders Destiny in the RGB hilts, but I'm having a hard time understanding how. Sunriders was a blue LED and a green LED, and Arctic is(I think) a blue LED and a white LED. But if you're using the green switch on an RGB and get Arctic Blue...then my brain breaks....

Can anyone shed some light on this(Pun totally not intended, but still awesome)?

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 07:21:29 AM »

Asked and answered:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=865.0

Why do people think there's a White channel on an Red, Green, Blue led?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »

I'm as dumbfounded as you. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:25:55 AM by Ultra » Logged

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »

Asked and answered:

I think they're confused as to how mixing the same two LEDs can produce two distinctly different colors. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but hey, at least I got an answer. Thanks.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »

Mixing light wavelengths isn't very intuitive. You get alot of variation just by changing the mixure a wee bit.

Eternus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:07 AM »

I think maybe they don't understand how resistors work. Plus the luxeon LEDs had the bin system. I remember being baffled by it all at first.

Dark Side points preferred

Catalyst blazing red
Oppressor guardian blue
Aggressor fire orange
Enforcer sunriders destiny
Bane RGB

rezolution
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

I'm not sure "mixing" means anything to people if they're not familiar with painting or electronics, or printing, etc.

If you tell them that there are three colors that are on the RGB diode and that arctic blue is 100% (full power) Blue + 100% (full power) Green to make Cyan (arctic blue) maybe they will understand better.

Sun Riders Destiny is 100% Green (full power) + 75% (not sure exact number here) Blue.  That's why it has a greenish tint to it.

If anyone is curious about blue/green color mixing, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_cyan .

That page demonstrates the color differences based on how much blue or green you "mix" in.

Eternus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »

Based on the chart in the previous posters link I would say that the Arctic blue is Cyan and the Sun Riders Destiny is Aquamarine. If that helps anyone in any way...

Dark Side points preferred

Catalyst blazing red
Oppressor guardian blue
Aggressor fire orange
Enforcer sunriders destiny
Bane RGB

Onli-Won Kanomi
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 5

Jedi Knight Of Faith

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »

Basically an RGB LED is a single large high powered 'pixel' and therefore colour mixing for a RGB LED should be the same as color mixing for computer screen pixels you are looking at right now...

...except that RGB colour pixels are separately controlled digitally within exact 0-255 values for each red/green/blue channel of each pixel on a screen...this has to be done repeatedly 60 times a second or more and with great uniformity across millions of pixels on a screen but video cards can do that because they have multichannel digital microprocessors.

Our sabers are not so fortunate...our hobby's best LED drivers/soundcards regulate voltage and/or current in only a single channel so mixing an RGB saber LED 'pixel' cannot presently be done the way computers or TV does it digitally; instead most RGB colours other than the additive primary or secondary colours would have to be 'analog' mixed with resistance on one or more of the red/blue/green LED dice. This can be done with analog potentiometer dials adjusted by hand until a desired shade is determined by eye and then 'locked down' or the resistance measured and resistors chosen to recreate that shade [which is why no one has ever made a true Viridian saber since it requires peculiar and precise 0-255 RGB values not practically tunable 'by hand' with pot dials]. However because of production 'bin' variations in the dominant wavelengths of LED emitters or dies even using the same resistors may not always produce the exact same colour using analog resistance RGB colour mixing.

Now hopefully we can all be understanding why sabersmiths find RGB mixing a challenge...especially someone like Ultra who builds a lot of sabers and needs his colours to be reliably repeatable from one saber to the next. A colour like Arctic Blue which is a  "100% (full power) Blue + 100% (full power) Green to make Cyan (arctic blue)" should be simpler to get uniformity for than a resistored mix like SRD or VA eh? Even back when SRD was a non-RGB-mixed true cyan emitter Lux III LED [now discontinued by Luxeon] there could sometimes be a slight variation between 'Bin 1' and 'Bin 2' cyan LEDs then used for 'Sunriders Destiny'. Imagine how hard it must be to get reliable uniformity from saber to saber by hand with analog RGB mixing. Maybe someday we'll have easy 3-channel digital 0-255 RGB mixing driver/soundboard solution but until then...

Once you understand the difficulty you can see why sabersmiths inc Ultra deserve R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for offering 'mixed' RGB colours like SRD and why "100 percent" additive-secondary RGB colours like Arctic Blue just makes good business sense for a large volume saber maker.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:01:37 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi » Logged

plain Stunt [Guardian Blue]
gold Minilord [Adegan Silver]
purple Minilord [Fire Orange]
Initiate v1 DIY [Fire Orange]
Wraith v1 [Fire Orange]
Wraith LE [Sunrider's Destiny]
Dark Apprentice [Blazing Red]
The Overlord [SRD]
Liberator v2 [Violet Amethyst]
Shock LE DIY [under construction]

rezolution
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 03:35:04 AM »

I'm thinking eventually, they may make the Crystal Focus boards have values you can set (0-255) for the LED drivers for each channel.  Then you could "mix" the colors via the config file.  Hopefully they'll make it 3 or more channels.  I know some of the LEDs have at least 4 different dies in them now.

That would be super-bad-ass.  LoL

Or maybe someone could make multiple channel buck-pucks...

stattty
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 04:50:03 AM »

i liked the video. the color is wonderful and maybe the next color i get if i dont go with the RGB first Wink

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »

So, it's a single LED unit....with mutiple LED integrated modules...on multiple different circuilts....with individual controllers...

Ah, my feeling of inadequency whenever I thought about saber smithing. I was wondering where you went.

Rall_Kethil
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:30 AM »

Asked and answered:

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case it is because one of the most used RGB  LEDs are  the 5- and 10-watt LEDEngin RGB  LEDs,  which are actually a 4-die LED coming in either RGBA (Red-Green-Blue-Amber) or in RGBW (Red-Green-Blue-White).
I had simply assumed you guys were shortening down the abbreviation.

General, I find your lack of pants disturbing...
Jensaraai - We don't just have cookies, we have lightsabers AND cool armor, too!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: