Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: It's Ordered. a costume for sithy/not sithy jedi  (Read 11866 times)
janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 12:50:46 AM »

Ordered these boots.  Supposed to get a measuring guide in the email to verify sizing.

https://www.gladiator-polo.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_196&product_id=834

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1558

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 02:04:45 AM »

I appreciate the fiscal situation you're in. 

Now the pouches I ordered are from Etsy $129 for 3 SW:ToR leather pouches.

For my wife's outfit, I just commissioned 2 custom pouches from my Terry Wise, my local guy (he's a master leather worker who can do purses with the nice stitching and multiple layers, etc) for $40/piece.  That seems to be his going rate, maybe a hair more for not-me people.  I can connect you to him if you'd like.  Due to his schedule, those won't get started until mid-May. I'll post pics of course Smiley

Hi Janx and congrats on your order! If Gladiator fail to send the sizing guide let me know as I have a copy of the PDF I can send to you by PM (I think the forum allows pdf attachments).

Also thanks for the offer to hook me up with your leather work guy, I may have to do a bit of saving up again before I can take the offer up but if he can do the twisted Ep.1 pouches I may contact you later when funds allow, if that's ok.

For the capsules, I do have a pack of Steadtler Fineliner pens that I can cut down to size and spray paint...I just need to get a can of silver and dig the pens out of storage - they got buried when I decorated my cave.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 02:13:03 AM »

The JediCloset costume I ordered was a full outfit so the outer tunic has a hoodie built in.  So I've contemplated a cape addition as a separate/removable piece.  So my thoughts are in agreement with yours if you get the hooded tunic.  otherwise, classic robe with hood (rather than hooded cape) would be how I'd go.

In my mind, the cape is truly separate from the rest of the outfit.  An inner color/material sewn to the outer shell, which has to be stiffer so it drapes and has folds.  I talked it over with my guy (fashion design degree, knows his stuff).

Let us know (and see) what you decide

I think I'll do the hooded version and a separate cape integrated with some shoulder armor

them boot's nice…best not leave 'em sittin'…

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 02:22:37 AM »

I think I'll do the hooded version and a separate cape integrated with some shoulder armor

them boot's nice…best not leave 'em sittin'…

I had a similar idea for shoulder armor/covering to fancy it up and mask how the cape is mounted. 

In my mind, they'd be a molded leather or warbla and a single piece. So the back edge from one shoulder would form an arc shape as it crossed the back (under the hood) to the other shoulder

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:06 AM »

Awesome outfit! As for the boots, if budget is an option, I'd consider looking for some used boots. I was lucky enough to get a spare pair from my father from back when he worked with horses, so perhaps you can find someone selling some, maybe that they no longer need, or maybe they just got new ones, if worn ones would fit in with your look, of course. These are the ones I got for the right price (a free gift):

Granted, they're not nearly as flashy or high as the others posted ITT, but, at least for me, they get the job done of serving the part of boots that don't look out of place, even if they don't actively add a ton to the overall look of the outfit like the other boots posted here do.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 04:48:00 PM »

Actually, those are quite nice...with some creative boot-toppers/shin armor, it would work out nicely!

I've decided on using this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCx5DWmUW0&t=330s

as my starting point for my shoulder armor. I am not going to do the chainmail detail but, instead try to do something a little more star wars-y in design. The shape is what I intend to keep.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 06:40:57 PM »

Actually, those are quite nice...with some creative boot-toppers/shin armor, it would work out nicely!

I've decided on using this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCx5DWmUW0&t=330s

as my starting point for my shoulder armor. I am not going to do the chainmail detail but, instead try to do something a little more star wars-y in design. The shape is what I intend to keep.

Cool.  Keep in mind with this design, you'll have straps crossing your back and chest.  That'll matter with regards to what's underneath (tunics, tabbards).

If I was adding these on my costume, the shoulder pads would mount to the shoulders of the tabbards somehow (perhaps hidden straps underneath).

I do like the chainmail sandwich to each piece.  That gives it a thickness, layering and texture.  Consider swapping the chainmail for a different material (screen mesh, netting, etc) to retain that feel.

Back to boots for a moment. If you are going to modify boots, consider those $100ish Ridetec/Ad tec boots.  Very similar design as polo boots, just less existing straps.  Probably the next best thing in ruggedness.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 01:30:34 AM »

I forgot to add that I planned to omit the straps in favor of some other method of securing the shoulders. II'm empted to purchase this silicone pad I found that I coul use to texture a layer of foam with a honeycombed texture…that might look interesting

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 08:18:47 PM »

Woohoo!  The jedi closet part of my order arrived.  Fits good. Wearing it now, because, why not Smiley

pouches and pants don't have an ETA quite yet from their respective Etsy shops.

Boots, I've got to send a pic of my feet outlines.  Then that'll be a few months in the queue

And belt, I should be making this weekend.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 01:49:36 AM »

Woohoo!  The jedi closet part of my order arrived.  Fits good. Wearing it now, because, why not Smiley

pouches and pants don't have an ETA quite yet from their respective Etsy shops.

Boots, I've got to send a pic of my feet outlines.  Then that'll be a few months in the queue

And belt, I should be making this weekend.

…no pics?!? FIE!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »

it is just the tunics, obi and tabbards.  Wife said I looked silly with my pajama bottoms.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 02:15:09 AM »

I finished the belt today, except for stitching up the back sleeve.

It's a bit grainy as I used the front camera so I could aim it at me for a close up.

It's over my dark dark blue Obi and the burgundy is close to the red color for the wraps and inner tunic.

I've also ordered a $10 voice changer that if it works acceptably, will get hooked into an old face mask I had from my karate days (made for cold days, but was handy for sneaking around the woods at camps.  I'll mount something over the mouth/nose to look cool (and maybe act as a real filter) hid the mic inside, run the wire down to nestle in the inner tunic dickie and see if that's evil enough.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 02:22:37 AM »

I finished the belt today, except for stitching up the back sleeve.

It's a bit grainy as I used the front camera so I could aim it at me for a close up.

It's over my dark dark blue Obi and the burgundy is close to the red color for the wraps and inner tunic.

I've also ordered a $10 voice changer that if it works acceptably, will get hooked into an old face mask I had from my karate days (made for cold days, but was handy for sneaking around the woods at camps.  I'll mount something over the mouth/nose to look cool (and maybe act as a real filter) hid the mic inside, run the wire down to nestle in the inner tunic dickie and see if that's evil enough.
Belt is looking nice! And especially so if there's a backstory to the buckle. It almost reminds me of a gem/talisman/jewel/etc. from a video-game, where rare items will have some story behind it and boost your stats. In my view, any time you can add something with sentimental value that also makes your outfit have a bit of personal flair, I say go for it!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »

II'd ike to know about the voice-changer! Where did you get it from?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »

II'd ike to know about the voice-changer! Where did you get it from?

Amazon by way of "Party City"  I searched for Voice Changer and it's the $9.99 or so product.  Little microphone a wire leading to a non-descript black box.

Reviews weren't great, but for $10.  It's not here yet...

Another product that caught my eye was about $30 and is just a voice amplifier.  Has a mic bit shaped to fit inside of a mask, as it's actually for rescue-folks under gas masks and stuff so people can hear them.  That's basically what storm troopers have.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: