Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: It's Ordered. a costume for sithy/not sithy jedi  (Read 11796 times)
janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« on: April 10, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »

The stars have aligned so I can spend some money on my costume.

Ordered the full outfit: sleeveless tunic with hoody, dark red under tunic with matching arm wraps
https://www.etsy.com/listing/966464096/star-wars-inspired-sleeveless-hooded

from The Jedi Closet.  Unfortunately it's the same parts list as my wife's just different colors.  we keep liking the same things. Smiley

ordered khaki pants from Far, Far Away Outfitters, so I'm spreading the stimulus love.

I have a red Grand Master, so I think this costume will work for Darth Zha'd  and when the sales align, a green Consular (need a hilt more suited to sparring)

I have a local guy to do real leather pouches.  Looking to do one based off a KoToR design I liked.

My last problem is boots.  Not so easy to find a good design for men, let alone Brown (all the biker boots are black).  What do y'all recommend?  I'd like something comfy I can wear all day at a con.  My pirate RenBoots will do in a pinch, but those folder over flaps aren't quite right.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:26:22 PM »

And here's a pic!

I'm deciding on whether to use this belt buckle I've had for 20 years amongst the leather tools and bits I inherited from my mom or not.

It needs a 1 3/8" belt instead of the usual 1" so there's a few reasons why it might be too odd.  What do y'all think?

I imagine this on a dark brown 3" under belt to make the wider overbelt look scaled right.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:12:52 AM »

quite fancy sir! Love the garb! I agree on the fact that a good brown leather boot is a hard find for us gents. Truth be told i've caught myself fancying the ladies selection of brown riding boots a few times too many while wondering what a size 10.5 EEE would be…for now I have my cheapo costume boots in brown for my Jedi costume …which reminds me that I need to get around to some weathering on those…

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 06:15:02 PM »

Thanks!

I got SW:ToR inspired pouches ordered as well.  Fixing to meet with a friend who's a better leather crafter than I am this afternoon to talk shop.

I intended this costume to work with my red saber or eventually not-red saber.  So it needed to ride the line between good an evil.

Toward the evil side, I have an idea for a cape, mounted on the shoulders with some kind of epaulets or piece that works with the tabbard (and the fact that there's velcro right there holding it to the costume per Jedi Closet standard.

I think it would add a bit of flair and raise it above the jedi standard of non-fancy aesthetic.

That's a further out addition, I suspect.  My remaining immediate problem is boots.

If I can't source anything better, my fallback position may be these $100 Ridetec (or variant)

https://www.amazon.com/Adtec-Inch-Engineer-Biker-Boot-M/dp/B003RQ792Q/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=RIDETECS&qid=1618147339&sr=8-2

The black will go with the tabbard and obi.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:25:50 PM »

And here's a pic!

I'm deciding on whether to use this belt buckle I've had for 20 years amongst the leather tools and bits I inherited from my mom or not.

It needs a 1 3/8" belt instead of the usual 1" so there's a few reasons why it might be too odd.  What do y'all think?

I imagine this on a dark brown 3" under belt to make the wider overbelt look scaled right.
I love the outfit. Not sure about the belt though. But I think I'd need to see the hole finished belt to really tell ^^'

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 08:21:54 PM »

Hello Janx (and mrg149)

To Janx, really nice ensemble you're putting together. I was going to say be careful of the "costume purists" that say your boots and belt colour should match, but you did say the boots were meant to match the tabards and obi so that shouldn't be a problem.

In putting my Jedi costume together, one thing I didn't scrimp and save on was the boots. I bought a quality pair as an investment. The ones I bought are the Qui-Gon Jinn replicas from Gladiator-Polo. They are beautiful, full on leather with leather soles (they need to be worn in but will be great once done) and they look perfect. Gladiator got me to take so many measurements I thought they were gonna ask for my hat size too but the effort is worth it.

They are a bit pricey (considering my situation) but I'd prefer to buy one decent pair than have to keep replacing a cheaper cosplay pair (no offense intended to anyone who has a pair). If you can stretch to afford their boots then Gladiator have a range of Star Wars boots (as well as generic and riding boots) that may interest you. The link to Gladiator-Polo is:
https://www.gladiator-polo.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_196_209

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »

Hello Janx (and mrg149)

To Janx, really nice ensemble you're putting together. I was going to say be careful of the "costume purists" that say your boots and belt colour should match, but you did say the boots were meant to match the tabards and obi so that shouldn't be a problem.

In putting my Jedi costume together, one thing I didn't scrimp and save on was the boots. I bought a quality pair as an investment. The ones I bought are the Qui-Gon Jinn replicas from Gladiator-Polo. They are beautiful, full on leather with leather soles (they need to be worn in but will be great once done) and they look perfect. Gladiator got me to take so many measurements I thought they were gonna ask for my hat size too but the effort is worth it.

They are a bit pricey (considering my situation) but I'd prefer to buy one decent pair than have to keep replacing a cheaper cosplay pair (no offense intended to anyone who has a pair). If you can stretch to afford their boots then Gladiator have a range of Star Wars boots (as well as generic and riding boots) that may interest you. The link to Gladiator-Polo is:
https://www.gladiator-polo.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_196_209
Point for the link =)

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 09:59:55 PM »

I'm incredibly cheap…but those boots are quite nice.

There are options on places like Wish & Ali Express…however that stuff is always buyer beware

I also have wondered how bad rubber wellingtons from Wal-Mart with a little "armor" upgrade would look?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:50:25 PM »

I'm incredibly cheap…but those boots are quite nice.

There are options on places like Wish & Ali Express…however that stuff is always buyer beware

I also have wondered how bad rubber wellingtons from Wal-Mart with a little "armor" upgrade would look?

"The Masters buy cheap" - Bertolt Brecht and Casper Neher. (< German Austrian theatrical producers/scenery designer of the 1920-50's)
Thanks mrg149, the Gladiator boots are pricey but the cool thing is I can wear them everyday not just for cons. I understand your hesitancy on buying from these "pop-up" vendors on Wish and Ali etc, which is why I stuck with companies that had stand alone webstores/sites when purchasing my tunic set. Sites like Cossky and EZ-Cosplay sell quite reasonable boots for convention use (a friend of mine purchased a pair of Maul boots and they were decent) if you want to check those sites the links are:

Cossky (aka CosplaySky)
https://cossky.com/collections/star-wars-1

Ez-Cosplay
https://www.ezcosplay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Star+Wars+boots

Hope these help (but if you know about them already just ignore!)

EDIT: And a plain pair of Wellingtons might look a little off, but maybe you can find a pair that has the ribbing or panelling embossed on them - they might work.

points incoming

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 05:55:40 AM »

I never really thought about costumes or props other than lightsabers. But... I really like the outfit. And I browsed a bit. And those boots For shared a link for? Some of them are to die for (no pun intended). I might give the whole real life character design a try in the end...

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »

Hello Janx (and mrg149)

Thanks for this tip!

Gladiator-Polo was just the site I needed to know about. My aim is for brown jedi-sy/calfy boots like that site has.

If I have to settle, it'll be the $100 black motorcycle boots. Like you, I'm not inclined to go cheaper as I'd like these to last. 

People's wallet size varies, but it's pretty consistent that actual men's riding boots are $300-400 and that's inline with Gladiator-Polo's prices.

boots are the last thing on my list to order, so aside from making my belt next weekend, I'm just about set.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 01:56:58 PM »

Hi Janx,

Glad the links were of some use (maybe). I am on a low income due to health issues so I have to spend what money I have wisely, spending this amount was big for me but so worth it. These are also basically made to measure (they don't actually state it but they do mention a made to measure option for oversize fittings) which normally would cost a lot more.

And regards my outfit, I just got a nice belt off of ETSY for $77. It's 10oz leather, has a metal buckle and Chicago Stud inner belt fasteners. The belt also fastens using Chicago Studs (6 size positions) which are covered by a sleeve with either a Jedi or Sith/Empire logos embossed on it.
I just need some pouches and food capsules now which I can pick up as and when I see some good Episode 1 versions.

I'm going to a photographer to get some proper pictures taken of the outfit when the lockdown is fully lifted in the UK (and I can tidy myself up at the barbers' shop!)
I look forward to seeing both yours and MRG's costumes when finished.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 06:02:39 PM »

ooh...the prices at EZ-Cosplay are quite decent....I may have to shop there!

I'm probably going to order a short-sleeved black tunic and obi from Far Far Away Outfitter soon. I just can't decide if it should be with or without the hood? I wanted to do a hooded cape but maybe just a cape with the hooded tunic? What do y'all think?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 08:30:14 PM »

Hi Janx,

Glad the links were of some use (maybe). I am on a low income due to health issues so I have to spend what money I have wisely, spending this amount was big for me but so worth it. These are also basically made to measure (they don't actually state it but they do mention a made to measure option for oversize fittings) which normally would cost a lot more.

And regards my outfit, I just got a nice belt off of ETSY for $77. It's 10oz leather, has a metal buckle and Chicago Stud inner belt fasteners. The belt also fastens using Chicago Studs (6 size positions) which are covered by a sleeve with either a Jedi or Sith/Empire logos embossed on it.
I just need some pouches and food capsules now which I can pick up as and when I see some good Episode 1 versions.

I'm going to a photographer to get some proper pictures taken of the outfit when the lockdown is fully lifted in the UK (and I can tidy myself up at the barbers' shop!)
I look forward to seeing both yours and MRG's costumes when finished.

I appreciate the fiscal situation you're in.  I'm using some of that stimulus check money finally, or I'd be doing this piecemeal as well.  Cosplaying can be pricey (short of folks who frugally DIY).

Frex, $77 is a good price for a leather  jedi belt.  I spent about $100 on the one for my wife (should be a separate thread for it).  Just the bag of 10 Sam Browne studs are $20.  The parts add up quick.

Now the pouches I ordered are from Etsy $129 for 3 SW:ToR leather pouches.

For my wife's outfit, I just commissioned 2 custom pouches from my Terry Wise, my local guy (he's a master leather worker who can do purses with the nice stitching and multiple layers, etc) for $40/piece.  That seems to be his going rate, maybe a hair more for not-me people.  I can connect you to him if you'd like.  Due to his schedule, those won't get started until mid-May. I'll post pics of course Smiley

Last year, I got 8 food tubes for around $24 on Amazon.  Split them up between me and the wife.  They are basically pen caps with a round bit glued in.  So you might be able to DIY just as good with a trip to Office Depot (online?).  I think folks have dissected the film version and identified the exact pen brands.

Oddly enough, I was wary of what good the stimchecks were doing for unaffected folks like me, but  I am happy that I can complete my costume and that my money is going to actual small businesses rather than a Bank or big store.

Haven't had a haircut in a year, so we'll see if that's just part of my character when I do get to pose with the full assembly for a pic to post here Smiley

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »

ooh...the prices at EZ-Cosplay are quite decent....I may have to shop there!

I'm probably going to order a short-sleeved black tunic and obi from Far Far Away Outfitter soon. I just can't decide if it should be with or without the hood? I wanted to do a hooded cape but maybe just a cape with the hooded tunic? What do y'all think?

The JediCloset costume I ordered was a full outfit so the outer tunic has a hoodie built in.  So I've contemplated a cape addition as a separate/removable piece.  So my thoughts are in agreement with yours if you get the hooded tunic.  otherwise, classic robe with hood (rather than hooded cape) would be how I'd go.

In my mind, the cape is truly separate from the rest of the outfit.  An inner color/material sewn to the outer shell, which has to be stiffer so it drapes and has folds.  I talked it over with my guy (fashion design degree, knows his stuff).

Let us know (and see) what you decide

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: