Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: A New Jedi Emerged on May 4th  (Read 10073 times)
For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« on: May 06, 2021, 01:10:44 AM »

Hello Everybody,

For a while I have been commenting that I was putting together a new robe and tunic outfit but it was taking a bit of time as I was purchasing parts as and when I could afford them (or when available)....well May The FORth Be With You day was a big day for me as I was able to reveal the outfit. I still have accessorising to complete such as getting pouches and capsules but I've decided again that I'll get what I can when I can but the leather and soft parts are complete. So here is the newly attired Master For Tyeth...

The base tunic set is a CosplaySky costume but I discarded the belt and robe as they were too lightweight (pleather/velcro belt and the robe was a very lightweight semi transparent polyester that was just too "shiny" and would blow around in the slightest breeze). So they had to go but the replacements I got I think are perfect.

The under tunic is a long scrunch sleeved V neck lounge top I picked up from ASOS fashion believe it or not. It gave the loose open neck look that Qui-Gon wore and had the ruched sleeves. But it cost $16 not the hundred dollars plus that a Noil silk top would cost.

The belt cost me $77 and is 3mm (10oz) leather with metal buckle and Chicago Studs. The belt fastens using a "Stud and Keyhole" system like hook and loop but using two of the studs as the hooks, and has 6 closure positions. To cover the fastening there is a wraparound sleeve which has the Jedi Order symbol embossed onto it (and yes there is a Sith version of the belt if that's your flavour!). IMHO this is a beauty of a belt for the price and shipping. I got the belt from the ETSY store Leather3DNeon.

The boots are as I have stated elsewhere, custom Gladiator-Polo Qui-Gon Jinn replicas and set me back $300 but man they are unbelievable quality. And I can use them for everyday wear too.

The robe I reckon was another great find from ETSY and set me back $90. It is a wool mix robe and fits as if made to measure - but I only gave my height measurement! The sleeves fall to the first knuckle, the hood is enormous and the material is out of this world. (I will suffer wearing this during summer but I don't care if I look good!) The robe has overlocked double stitching and even has laundry care labels (<not important to the look but a very nice touch). The ETSY store is called Creativesewandsew.

In all I am stoked how this turned out (I even got praised by a professional TV/film costume designer I know). The great thing is that the robe, belt and boots should hopefully last and the tunic set can be replaced fairly easily if needed as it is basic but works (also it isn't as bleached white as it appears - it is a nice sand/ecru/Hummus colour).
Thanks to Mrs Tyeth who acted as my photographer for this photoshoot!

Anyhoo I've raved on far too long. Thanks for checking this out and I hope you all enjoyed your May 4th and 5th celebrations too!

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:26:19 AM »

Very nice.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 01:32:39 AM »

Hello Janx,

Thanks so much, but I still have a way to go before I'm up to the skills and level of costuming members like yourself, mrg149 and Sirliftalot are at. But this feels good for me!

It might look better once I 've been able to get to the barbers shop. Due to lockdowns in the UK I haven't had a proper haircut for over a year  Shocked Hopefully when I get a trim I'll look a bit more like my "Spirit Jedi" Qui-Gon.

point incoming.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 01:51:50 AM »

Don't sell yourself short FT. That is a PROPER JEDI COSTUME and you look incredible. Just because you didn't  build anything ddoesn't ean you did not have a good eye for quality and just the right bits. GREAT JOB

II've een looking at the cosplaysky robes. How do you like them?

The boots are amazing but waaaaaaaay outta my price range

POINTAGE

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:07:19 AM »

agree with MRG.  you've put together a great outfit, don't underrate yourself.  Finding good deals and sourcing takes skill as well.  That belt for instance, $77, is about the same as the one I made, parts-wise.  Cost me about $120 to make mine.  So that's a great find.

Even my outfit, most of it is bought not built.  Totally acceptable.  I make the stuff I'd enjoy making, and buy the stuff I can afford or isn't worth my time making or I can't make because my skills have limits as well.

It's all good.  I'm happy when folks get a costume working. don't matter how Smiley

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 02:07:39 AM »

Hello mrg149,

Again thanks to you. The CosplaySky tunic set is quite good. It won't fall apart on you as soon as you pick it up - it is well stitched and and hangs wel. The linen material is a nice medium weight so it will be warm enough in winter and cool for summer months (especially if you wear an under tunic - the CosplaySky has an attached scarfe style dickie sewn to the collar that I took off as it was a chocolate brown colour). The pants that come with the tunic are very basic (polyester) but have a button and zip fly plus front pockets and belt loops for a normal 1-1.5 ince fashion belt and two elasticated panels on the waistband.

And as I mentioned the colour of the tunics comes off as a bleached white but is much more sand/tan almost a Rich Tea biscuit shade (I think you're UK based so should know about McVities biscuits!). If you want to see the Mace Windu dark tan version of this set the Youtuber ACE Cosplay has a video of it on her channel.

Er, yes the boots were pricey but when I got a refund from my bank for mispaid insurance Mrs Tyeth convinced me the boots would be an investment. I did hesitate even though I wanted them.

Thanks again and a point coming back for your kind comments.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 02:22:10 AM »

agree with MRG.  you've put together a great outfit, don't underrate yourself.  Finding good deals and sourcing takes skill as well.  That belt for instance, $77, is about the same as the one I made, parts-wise.  Cost me about $120 to make mine.  So that's a great find.

Even my outfit, most of it is bought not built.  Totally acceptable.  I make the stuff I'd enjoy making, and buy the stuff I can afford or isn't worth my time making or I can't make because my skills have limits as well.

It's all good.  I'm happy when folks get a costume working. don't matter how Smiley

Hi there, I have certainly caught the costuming bug! I have started putting 10-15 dollars a month aside to save up and I plan on getting the other two versions of the tunic set so I can mix and match the colours (there is also an all black Anakin version and a dark tan Windu set).

I was also blessed with patience I think  which really helps - it took me 30+ years before I could assemble this!

p.s. I did stitch some hook and eye fasteners inside the tunic to help it drape properly and I did attach Press Stud/Snap fasteners on the shoulders to stop the tabards slipping so I did some sewing myself Grin

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 03:37:38 AM »

Hello Everybody,

For a while I have been commenting that I was putting together a new robe and tunic outfit but it was taking a bit of time as I was purchasing parts as and when I could afford them (or when available)....well May The FORth Be With You day was a big day for me as I was able to reveal the outfit. I still have accessorising to complete such as getting pouches and capsules but I've decided again that I'll get what I can when I can but the leather and soft parts are complete. So here is the newly attired Master For Tyeth...

The base tunic set is a CosplaySky costume but I discarded the belt and robe as they were too lightweight (pleather/velcro belt and the robe was a very lightweight semi transparent polyester that was just too "shiny" and would blow around in the slightest breeze). So they had to go but the replacements I got I think are perfect.

The under tunic is a long scrunch sleeved V neck lounge top I picked up from ASOS fashion believe it or not. It gave the loose open neck look that Qui-Gon wore and had the ruched sleeves. But it cost $16 not the hundred dollars plus that a Noil silk top would cost.

The belt cost me $77 and is 3mm (10oz) leather with metal buckle and Chicago Studs. The belt fastens using a "Stud and Keyhole" system like hook and loop but using two of the studs as the hooks, and has 6 closure positions. To cover the fastening there is a wraparound sleeve which has the Jedi Order symbol embossed onto it (and yes there is a Sith version of the belt if that's your flavour!). IMHO this is a beauty of a belt for the price and shipping. I got the belt from the ETSY store Leather3DNeon.

The boots are as I have stated elsewhere, custom Gladiator-Polo Qui-Gon Jinn replicas and set me back $300 but man they are unbelievable quality. And I can use them for everyday wear too.

The robe I reckon was another great find from ETSY and set me back $90. It is a wool mix robe and fits as if made to measure - but I only gave my height measurement! The sleeves fall to the first knuckle, the hood is enormous and the material is out of this world. (I will suffer wearing this during summer but I don't care if I look good!) The robe has overlocked double stitching and even has laundry care labels (<not important to the look but a very nice touch). The ETSY store is called Creativesewandsew.

In all I am stoked how this turned out (I even got praised by a professional TV/film costume designer I know). The great thing is that the robe, belt and boots should hopefully last and the tunic set can be replaced fairly easily if needed as it is basic but works (also it isn't as bleached white as it appears - it is a nice sand/ecru/Hummus colour).
Thanks to Mrs Tyeth who acted as my photographer for this photoshoot!

Anyhoo I've raved on far too long. Thanks for checking this out and I hope you all enjoyed your May 4th and 5th celebrations too!
Looking great, FT!!!

Your ensemble is topnotch and the pics are wonderful (cheers to Mrs. T)!  I'm thinking that Anakin/Vader would've lost if it had been you helping Obi-wan  Wink

Seriously, outstanding job my friend!

WELL deserved point  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 03:47:19 AM »

Looking great, FT!!!

Your ensemble is topnotch and the pics are wonderful (cheers to Mrs. T)!  I'm thinking that Anakin/Vader would've lost if it had been you helping Obi-wan  Wink

Seriously, outstanding job my friend!

WELL deserved point  Smiley

Hello Dutch, thank you for inspiring me to get seriously started on this. We conversed about costumes quite a bit in our PMs (regards FFA Outfitters etc) and seeing your nice ensemble with the embroidery made me want my own threads. Though I did  get Cosplaysky tunics so I had less to pay in import duties and shipping.

Funny you mention Obi-Wan as this tunic set is described as his on the website. Anyhow it should hold up to scrutiny when I'm at a Comic Con.
Thanks again and I'll pass on your thanks to Mrs T!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »

Those Robes look great For! The cloak especially looks like some quality material from the pictures!

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »

Those Robes look great For! The cloak especially looks like some quality material from the pictures!

Hi Psycho, the cloak is unbelievable for what I paid for it. It is a real nice heavyweight 60% Wool and 40% Polyester mix so it is soft but hardwearing (it drapes perfectly) and as I mentioned it's going to be very warm during the summer months. Luckily I'll be able to forego wearing the under tunic so I should  feel a little cooler.

Thanks for checking my costume out and I hope all is well with you and your folks. point inbound.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »

Really nice!!!
Point.
I love the belt and boots.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »

FT -

Thanks for the "review". I'm now considering the "sithy" version of those for my costume....

but I must correct 1 error: I am not UK based... I'm in Jersey...NEW Jersey :-P

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 06:49:51 PM »

Really nice!!!
Point.
I love the belt and boots.

Hi Darth Rondoudou, I was very fortunate with the belt and boots as I was worried the colours may not quite match closely enough but they were fairly close in shade to each other. Both have excellent craftsmanship on them. I had to send in around 15 separate measurements for the boots. What you can't see from the picture are the soles of the boot which are leather and wow are they gorgeous - they actually look as if they are made of polished wood rather than leather.

And the belt was around half the price of others I had seen and only a few dollars more than the pleather belts on Amazon and at Galaxy's Edge. It really is a piece of art with chamfered/rounded edges, metal hardware and the embossing.

Thanks for the kind words and hopefully when the UK starts having Comic Cons again I should have some more photos out in the Galaxy! point on it's way to you.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 06:55:48 PM »

FT -

Thanks for the "review". I'm now considering the "sithy" version of those for my costume....

but I must correct 1 error: I am not UK based... I'm in Jersey...NEW Jersey :-P

OOps! my positioning scanners must be off. I think I got the impression you were UK based as I think you mentioned Kenickys Fancy Dress which is UK based (in Coventry). My apologies.
Glad the review helped. The CosplaySky set is just at the price where it has quality but isn't too expensive when you need to repair/replace it cos of natural wear and tear. You can also buy the set without the cloak making it slightly cheaper too. Obviously I bought the cloaked version as it was the first one I've bought.

Regards sizing I am 5ft 11/6ft and slim build and I ordered the large male size.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: