Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Photon Blade Questions  (Read 2090 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« on: May 15, 2021, 06:21:59 PM »

Question for anyone knowledgeable in this sort of thing:

I picked up a 34" TCSS green photon blade (with Corbin style quad wrap blade film) that I’m using with my blue US Sentinel V4. It seems to do what it’s supposed to for the most part, turning blue light into bright green light, but it looks like the tip is a different shade of green than the blade, I’d assume due to it having no wrap compared to the blade. I tried taking out the film entirely, but that resulted in the blade itself seeming to be a bit too “see-through.” Not ideal.

I know there’s going to be some diminished brightness towards the end of the blade relative to the base given it’s a base-lit saber and that happens with longer blade lengths (one reason I like saberstaffs with shorter blades), but would a non-Corbin film give off a more similar green color to the tip? Would cutting some of the Corbin wrap to make it double instead of quadruple help? Any other suggestions to help make this photon blade look as good as possible here?

Thanks in advance!

Photon Blade on Sentinel V4 shown next to Sentinel V4 with heavy-grade blade.

34" Photon Blade with quad-Corbin wrap turned on:

34 "Photon blade on next to 24" Heavy-grade blade for comparison:

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 06:45:39 AM »

Ironically looking at the photo the tip looks "more green" than the blade which appears bluish green.

I'd like to help but have no idea/experience with this. I'd almost suggest buying a color disc pack from US and inserting a green disc below the blade to see if that helped blend the colors together? But that's the random inexperienced view of slapping a band-aid on it from my perspective... better wisdom will likely follow from others.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 02:08:35 AM »

Is kinda strange. Is it a matching photon blade tip or a colore day trans green tip? That could be the problem. Looks cool though either way =] Wondering, how is the extra quad wrap in person?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 08:26:02 PM »

if you choose to name it, i recommend phallix

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 03:36:27 AM »

That is the usual way those tips look. Due to the tip not being hollow and not having internal diffusion material in it. Nearly all tips in any color or style of blade do the same to some degree or another.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 11:29:55 PM »

Is kinda strange. Is it a matching photon blade tip or a colore day trans green tip? That could be the problem. Looks cool though either way =] Wondering, how is the extra quad wrap in person?
It should be a matching photon blade tip. I picked it from the dropdown menu on the photon blade page. It is very bright, so I'd imagine it's a photon tip, since it seems to be doing very well magnifying the blue light and making it green.

It looks pretty interesting in person. From a distance it looks like a blueish, almost teal color in the center of the blade with a light almost lime green on the edge of the blade. Up close you can see some texture that almost reminds me of brushed aluminum, but pretty faint. The tip is how I'd imagine the entire blade would look. Don't get me wrong, both the blade and the tip both look cool, but the combination of the two just seems a bit disjointed.
That is the usual way those tips look. Due to the tip not being hollow and not having internal diffusion material in it. Nearly all tips in any color or style of blade do the same to some degree or another.
That makes sense, but the issue I'm having isn't with the tip, but with the blade. The tip is doing exactly what I thought it should, turning the blue light into a very bright green color. It's the blade that's making more of a teal blade color for some reason. Even with non-Corbin wrap/film, it's still doing the same thing. I've seen multiple videos/photos of photon blades, and I have yet to see one where the tip is such a majorly different color than the blade. Slightly different, or a different level of illumination/brightness, or area it diffuses the light, sure, but it's a totally different color.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »

The tip is how I'd imagine the entire blade would look. Don't get me wrong, both the blade and the tip both look cool, but the combination of the two just seems a bit disjointed.That makes sense, but the issue I'm having isn't with the tip, but with the blade. The tip is doing exactly what I thought it should, turning the blue light into a very bright green color. It's the blade that's making more of a teal blade color for some reason. Even with non-Corbin wrap/film, it's still doing the same thing. I've seen multiple videos/photos of photon blades, and I have yet to see one where the tip is such a majorly different color than the blade. Slightly different, or a different level of illumination/brightness, or area it diffuses the light, sure, but it's a totally different color.

Oh I see what's bothering you now. That's you blua LED shade causing that the Photon blade responds differently to different light frequencies. It is designed around a standard blue so shades like arctic light or even royal blue throw it off slightly. Interestingly if you use cyan light (blue green) it gives a Photon blade a sort of orange core with a sickly green exterior.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »

Oh I see what's bothering you now. That's you blua LED shade causing that the Photon blade responds differently to different light frequencies. It is designed around a standard blue so shades like arctic light or even royal blue throw it off slightly. Interestingly if you use cyan light (blue green) it gives a Photon blade a sort of orange core with a sickly green exterior.
Shouldn't the blade should be working the same as the tip though since they're both photon from the same company? The wrap/film would have SOME impact, but they're totally different colors. I also have the standard blue color from US on that saber shown. I'll run it through all the RGB colors on one of my other sabers and see.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:26:05 AM »

I think its kind of cool and unique looking to be honest =] I know you were looking for a more green green color out of this blade though. But Firehand is right, with a true cyan color looks really cool Tongue Hope you get the issues solved though. Next you should try an enhanced blue blade especially over Arctic Blue, gives a really nice icy shade of blue color but still plenty bright enough at the same time

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 10:54:57 PM »

I think its kind of cool and unique looking to be honest =] I know you were looking for a more green green color out of this blade though. But Firehand is right, with a true cyan color looks really cool Tongue Hope you get the issues solved though. Next you should try an enhanced blue blade especially over Arctic Blue, gives a really nice icy shade of blue color but still plenty bright enough at the same time
Thanks haha. I'm not really necessarily looking for a green color, I just needed a longer (standard length) blade for katana-style saber practice (when using a staff, I have shorter blades), and figured since I had a blue Sentinel V4, a photon blade would allow me to gain a new color and have it be even brighter than normal. So if it's a slightly different color, that's fine by me at the end of the day. That said, if the saber is going to be one (unique) color, ideally the tip would be a similar color as well. But it's not something I'm losing sleep over, more just trying to figure out exactly what's going on.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 06:08:14 AM »

Shouldn't the blade should be working the same as the tip though since they're both photon from the same company? The wrap/film would have SOME impact, but they're totally different colors. I also have the standard blue color from US on that saber shown. I'll run it through all the RGB colors on one of my other sabers and see.

My guess: The material in the photon blade converts the wavelength from blue to green. As the light travels through the tip, it must generally go through more material, thus a definitive color shift compared to the thinner layer in the wall of the tube of the blade. You could add a layer of green cellophane from a hobby store to the outside of of clear blade film inside the blade. But it would basically be a mild filter reducing the blue light coming through. I did a green layer to make a cheap day blade.

AS will work with dayblades and photon blades. The photon blades and 'enhanced' blades from TCSS react to blue frequencies of light, so white has all frequencies and will work. The dayblades are basically pigmented regular blades, and work like filters anyway in that they will limit other frequencies(colors) from passing through. The core is still brighter than the edge, but it won't have a fully white core. My AS makes dayblades and photon blades more pale than the matching LED color, but a mild filter works well. Look up Lee filter samples. You should be able to find cheap. It's fun with AS to experiment with the many shades Lee filters have.

I have a photon green and 'enhanced' TCSS blue and red. The photon green is awesome, but more yellowish with AS than guardian blue. A mild blue filter fixes that to allow AS to perform well. The 'enhanced' red is sort of pinkish with anything other than a red LED. The 'enhanced' blue is somewhat more pale than dayblade blue, but will ultimately be brighter and more adaptable to what you want, I think. Red, purple and deep blue are dimed with filters on AS.

Some homemade dayblades... The two with windows are AS.
Off

On, flash of camera

On, dark room

I made an ultraviolet LED that got best results for my photon blade.

No film in these. Just the enhanced glow. No tips, so you can see the LED color on the wall. My camera doesn't know what to make of purple.

410nm purple on left, US blue on right. Performing with TCSS 'enhanced' green and blue blades.

The 410nm performs better with the blue blade than the blue LED does. They each perform equally well with the green blade.

With the flash to demonstrate how the 'enhanced' blades do with ambient light.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: