Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Force throwing  (Read 1258 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« on: June 04, 2021, 12:29:17 AM »

http://youtu.be/pkCiDsyiZ2U

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 01:22:44 AM »

I'd been thinking that for various cosplay events, it'd be cool to work out some Force FX (i.e. magic tricks) for photos, etc.  This is an excellent expansion on that idea.

I suspected this was done with wires or fishing line, though it's got a nice fluid movement then I'd expect from just swinging a blade around by threads. Just got to the end and there it is, by fastening the line at the saber's balance point, it's easier to control and make it smooth.

Plus, like any magic trick, your sword hand is busy catching and releasing, drawing the eye, while the control hand's movements are doing what you'd expect for using the Force, telegraphing and miming the movement of the controlled object.

Nicely done.

I'd like to sidebar for a moment on video production (at least in the context of this particular video).  I know you've done way more videos than I've probably ever watched any kind of youtube video, but maybe this'll help.

You voice was clear and presentation good.  Lighting worked out.  But as you noted, the traffic noise was a nuisance.  Given that you played some music, that might have some licensing issues, so here's the idea I had. Use free music (like from Youtube) and mix it in after recording.  I've done that once (I made 1 YT video ever so...)  That part was easy with free tech.  If possible, you could also over-dub your voice on top of that at appropriate times.  That way the main recording is largely silent/unconcerned with background noise, knowing you'll replace the audio as you see fit.

That may not work on all your videos, again, you've probably got a handle on this already, judging by how clear your voice was despite the traffic noise.

Well done, and I'm inclined to try that myself at the sacrifice of a blade if one of my hilts isn't already balanced where I can hide the connection.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:09:27 PM »

Thanx for the suggestions. I'd actually love to do editing like that for other stuff too, but I can't get the hang of the software needed. My desktop is older, so I stopped bothering to use it for anything other than streaming.
Now I just use my phone for all my videos, so I am limited to "practical effects" only.
Even cuts are done by me just pausing the recording.

Most of my videos I can capture in one take because I plan an outline and just go for it. There's been a couple of times I messed up and just started over from the beginning.

But I do use music from YT

-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 09:50:48 PM »

Thanx for the suggestions. I'd actually love to do editing like that for other stuff too, but I can't get the hang of the software needed. My desktop is older, so I stopped bothering to use it for anything other than streaming.
Now I just use my phone for all my videos, so I am limited to "practical effects" only.
Even cuts are done by me just pausing the recording.

Most of my videos I can capture in one take because I plan an outline and just go for it. There's been a couple of times I messed up and just started over from the beginning.

But I do use music from YT

-

1 take, that's hard.  I was thinking with the spin vid you posted, I'd hold pose before and after a kata so I could fade in/out and splice takes together.  This also avoids the walk up to the camera, as the final footage cuts that out.

But it sounds like a tech or software constraint.  I don't know how to edit video on my phone either (heck, I struggle to find the video button).  On the PC, I'm a computer guy, so I knew what I was looking for, including software to crop a sub-frame from the Disney crawl-maker which rendered it with bars on all sides.  I did it on a 8GB i7 surface book.  I have heard from a friend who did a channel that editing's a lot of work.  Easily a job unto itself to make it fancy.

But enough of that.  I've seen more of your vids.  they're fine.  I don't get the impression their designed to look fancy, just solid presentation.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 01:58:10 AM »

I appreciate that. I also have some background in Theatre, which is all about the single take, so I'm not too bother by the lack of editing ability. Just having fun sharing what I learn about sabers.
Thanx for watching my vids!

-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: