Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: PVC Trick Practice Saber in Iron Man colors  (Read 794 times)
janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« on: June 07, 2021, 12:39:27 AM »

I saw some videos of saber tricks that included tosses and catches.  The kind of thing that looks great after you're good at it, but you don't want to learn how with a good saber.

So I scrounged parts in my garage to make a PVC hilt and blade.  And weighted it so the balance point is nearer to the blade (like most sabers) with a bit of iron pipe hidden inside.  it weighs about as much as my Consular.

Then I thought to screw in the parts so they wouldn't get loose.  And maybe make it look fancier.  And a coat of paint.

Here it is:

It's still going to get scratched up, but I'd rather bang this up then a real light saber.

The blade (not shown attached) is plain PVC (what I had lying around) and fits into a 1" pipe coupler.  Since that's not as deep as a real hit, it's also screwed in (actual screws going into the blade).  The knurled knob is from an old fan (steampunks always keep bits like that before junking old equipment).  It's screwed in through the coupler and main PVC shaft into a dowel that helps keep that iron pipe in place. Makes everything solid, yet disassemblable.

For a quick weekend job using old spray cans of with a little paint left, it turned out alright.

By the time the PVC blade breaks, I hope to have sourced a cheap polycarbonate pipe. If it's lighter, I'll chop down the iron pipe to re-adjust the balance point.  This thing has to approximate a saber, not be one.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:54:58 AM »

Very smart thinking. And equally solid execution! It looks great. When I practice new moves for my saberstaff, I practice with a wooden bo staff that's approximately the same length and weight. Luckily all bos are balanced at the center naturally, so no balancing needed.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »

thanks!  I figured I over did it for something that's going to get dropped a lot, except for the emitter coupler, it was all bits I had, even the drops of paint I used.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 01:54:47 AM »

smart idea. The attention to still making it look nice is a point of your own pride and I dig that about you bub!

I may attempt one for my own use. How about a quick parts list? I have a nice piece of pvc tailpipe not being used that wouls look swell

Would it be a good idea to make it a little heavy so that stamina and strength can be built as well? That way the "show" saber would be lighter…kinda like the old baseball bat donut thingy?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:11:11 PM »

smart idea. The attention to still making it look nice is a point of your own pride and I dig that about you bub!

I may attempt one for my own use. How about a quick parts list? I have a nice piece of pvc tailpipe not being used that wouls look swell

Would it be a good idea to make it a little heavy so that stamina and strength can be built as well? That way the "show" saber would be lighter…kinda like the old baseball bat donut thingy?

Thanks!  Now I'd have to head back to Lowes for exact part names, but this is a project you can mostly eyeball (maybe bring callipers to measure inside/outside diameters).

The hilt is a pipe diameter that can fit a 1" OD saber blade.  Because my blade pipe was NOT 1" OD, I had to use couplers to fit it together.  Thus it looks like a fancy emitter, but it's hacking a basic problem.

It's actually more stable to have a blade that slides into the hilt as you can sink it in farther (even all the way if the blade is long enough).  The blade could be 3/4" ID PEX or 1" wooden dowel.

Next time I'm at Lowes, I'll jot down some specs.  But this was mainly built by wandering the plumbing aisle with slices of pipe scrap I used for sizing confirmation and my calliper to double check as I had a few different ideas in mind depending on what I found.

As for weight, I suspect erring on the side of heavier will help in the long term, but in the near term starting out, I not only lack the skill to flip and catch, but also the muscles to move and control that much weight.  A case could be made for keeping it as light as possible until I've got a semblance of skill.

I do stress that you need to get the balance as near to what you intend to perform with.  Otherwise you'll be developing muscle memory for compensating on a specific balance and be thrown off with the real thing.  Getting that balance kind of forces the weight choice on me as I'm stuck with what the blade weighs and can only influence the hilt to strike that balance.

Note that in my plan, I'll be learning flips and tosses that I expect to drop this alot.  I'm not going to use this to practice sparring, I've got actual sabers for that.  So there's a different durability requirement.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 01:52:37 AM »

thanx!

I'll let you know that you're notthe only person wandering around your local Lowe's muttering about pvc hilt bits and playing with pipe combos.

The idea of using this for flow practice is genius as flipping my US around and repeatedly dropping it gives me agita just thinking about it.

If you're looking for some good YouTube tutorials, check out professional badass Michelle Christa Smiths channel and socials

Now I must plan for my flippy hilt build…MWAHAHA!!!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: