Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Fallen - Standard Fins  (Read 2162 times)
nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« on: July 07, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »

Disclaimer: i did not see this posted elsewhere in the forum so i hope this is not a duplicate.

i was finally able to discover how the fins on the Fallen standard emitter are held in place.  The video described them as "pins" but i would call them "nubs" Sad
they look like friction plugs which are larger than the hole but compress due to a groove cut across the width to give friction hold once inserted.  Maybe supplemented with some epoxy (but i doubt it).

As to how to remove the fins, for me it was unintentional.  It seems putting pressure on the top (tip) - avoid making the obvious joke - or bottom (base) of the fin caused it to loosen.  This was done by me putting pressure on the bottom of the hilt while holding the fin against a padded surface.

Pictures follow of the "nubs" but here is the good news - i suspect the fins can be easily secured without the need for holes in the outside part of the fin (i.e. the poor afterthought design on the combat emitter).

My plan:
  • 1. remove the "nub" from the inside of the spacer (part on the inside of the fin which the nub is inside) - accomplish either by pulling it out, drilling it out, or cutting across to make flush with the spacer
  • 2. thread (tap) the existing hole in the hilt
  • 3. thread (tap) the spacer - will drill out a hole in the spacer if needed
  • 4. use a headless hex screw (like the 8-32 retaining screw that comes with every saber) starting from inside the hilt to affix the fin

The screw will be recessed into the hole enough to allow a blade to slide past but retain enough of a grip on the hilt to keep the fin in place.  The trick will be to get the depth right but can be managed with some practice.

If you do not have tools at your disposal nor want to front the cost for the above, i bet some strong epoxy (JB Weld) on the spacer will hold better than the nubs.

i hope this helps.

Pictures:

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 11:06:46 PM »

I hope your plan works. I was wondering why they only offer the combat ready fins now. I just figured it was a parts shortage, but maybe it's due to this issue.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:10:22 PM »

update: when trying to use the force to put the fin back on, the second nub slipped out so i took a picture.  imgur is being an ass right now so i will have to upload later but the second one in the first series actually gives a good look at it without having to ask the butcher.

anyway, my previous description is a bit off.  The nub appears to be more like a curl of metal folded along the long end. 
A 2.0mm hex bit fit into the holes on the hilt so i am thinking the standard 8-32 can be tapped without additional drilling - bwa haha  Cool

i hope to have the confirmed soon but need the right screws dammit.

Also, i was able to get the fin back on but it will come back off with some effort.  i bet this will get looser the more times it is removed.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 11:14:46 PM »

I hope your plan works. I was wondering why they only offer the combat ready fins now. I just figured it was a parts shortage, but maybe it's due to this issue.
you could be right.  i would think the fabrication for the combat ready version is much more difficult so parts for standard should be easier to produce and assemble. 
Considering the typical buyer would not want to tap holes and search out parts nor dodge flying metal fins, i go with your guess.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »

I can tell you right now that I don't want to tap holes or source the right screws. That's nothing that's in my wheelhouse, so my hat's off to you. I think the regular fins look better, but the combat ready ones are obviously better constructed. (that's kinda the whole point) Like you said, if you continue removing and putting them back on, they'll probably only get looser. I've been thinking of getting a Fallen but I was waiting to see if the regular fins came back in stock. However, given your issues, I think the combat ready fins are the way to go.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 08:41:46 PM »

In addition to the points scifidude79 raises, I personally prefer the appearance of the combat-ready fins, which is why I ordered them with my Azure Fallen.  HOWEVER, that's entirely a personal preference, and I get that other folks like different things.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 04:36:54 AM »

Those are called roll pins or spring pins and can be sourced at many hardware stores. They use spring pressures starting slightly wider than the hole to hold things together.
I like the idea of the headless screws from the inside. Do the accent holes line up well enough with the pin holes to tap them while in place so the threads align right?

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 12:35:15 AM »

Just FYI, the Aeon V5 claws are held on with the same spring pins.   I got the "combat" style emitter specifically because of this issue.  These fins stick out a lot more than the Aeon claws do!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

the Sith Order
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

I am the Force, the Force is with me.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 02:09:52 AM »

Nuneeeez, why do you spin your Lightsaber? They didn’t send you a real one because of it. It’s important to take care of it, they are sacred objects, just as important as a wedding ring if not more, or even much, much more if you truly think about it. So I urge you to order a new Lightsaber and stop throwing it against the wall and thinking it’s another Force trick. I know you don’t do it now, but, I am just saying that in order for you to get the Lightsaber your are meant for since you have found your New Found Powers.

The Force is all of the good things inside of you. Compassion creates the Force. It is the Force. Love is the Force. To Serve the Force, to be Purely Devoted to the Force, and to become the Force, returning to One’s Constitutional Position within It, is the Way. Merging into the Force fully brings Truth to the Jedi. Keeping the Force balanced can only be done through the Will of the Force. So ask the Force to dwell in you fully, and become who you are Forever meant to Be.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 02:59:13 AM »

Those are called roll pins or spring pins and can be sourced at many hardware stores.
Nice one!  thanks!
Do the accent holes line up well enough with the pin holes to tap them while in place so the threads align right?
Great point on making sure the threads align. i am taking alignment to mean with relation to the threads continuing uniformly across both holes.  i will make sure the holes are oriented along the same axis - they certainly seem to already.
My plan is to use existing parts to try this plan before moving to the actual piece Smiley

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 03:00:38 AM »

Just FYI, the Aeon V5 claws are held on with the same spring pins.   I got the "combat" style emitter specifically because of this issue.  These fins stick out a lot more than the Aeon claws do!
and my last modification will be to make them even looonger!

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 03:04:22 AM »

I can tell you right now that I don't want to tap holes or source the right screws. That's nothing that's in my wheelhouse, so my hat's off to you.
thanks for the feedback.  i certainly am a beginner on metal work with ambitions larger than my experience can justify. 
however, tapping holes is really not that difficult - it can be done by hand (i.e. no drill press needed).  getting it right takes practice and patience. 

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »

update: when trying to use the force to put the fin back on, the second nub slipped out so i took a picture.  imgur is being an ass right now so i will have to upload later...

This is going to be fun!

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 07:30:14 PM »

i needed to prove that the screw can be threaded starting from inside one tapped hole into another tapped hole starting from outside. 
These were factory (Ultrasabers) tapped holes but same will work for self-tapped.

held upright and close-up

how i attached and turned the screw from inside

now to get out those roll pins...  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: