Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: securing jedi/sith soft parts  (Read 1645 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: August 18, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »

What is the best way to secure a jedi/sith costume so you don't have to constantly fidget with your costume? I have been using some velcro so far but how about snaps? where are the best places to place these on tunics, tabards and obi?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »

Hi mrg149,

For my costume I used press snaps on the shoulders of my tunic and tabards (making sure they were positioned to have the correct overhang past the hem of the tunic). Another trick I had to employ because I am a very slim build was to stitch hook and eye fasteners into the tunic near each hip bone so I can pull the tunic across and hold it shut. Here is a picture I used as reference:

And the type of fastener I used:

The obi hides any sign of the clips or stitching (though the clips will be inside the tunic).

The press snaps I used were 15mm diameter which are big enough to do the job but small enough to stay hidden however make sure you only stitch the half stud to  the underside layer of your tabards otherwise you'll have visible threads if you stitch through both top and bottom layers (and make sure you stich it on the correct way or you'll have to unpick your stitching and flip the fastener).

The obi I had fitted me quite well using the original velcro so didn't need much adjustment and with the leather belt I have it stays in place great - however you could make the obi more secure using more hook and eye clips.

I haven't had any drop tabbards and once I have the obi on and the leather belt everything sits nicely, hope this helps.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »

velcro works good for things that need adjusting as size varies, like an obi.  Your diameter isn't the same every day.

But my fashion design friend saw my tunic and scoffed at the velcro used to hold it closed, because it was obvious where it was stitched in.

So placement of any fastener matters. classic karate gi fastens at the edge, where the side split is (usually with ties).  That's where I'd do a hook and eye instead so there's no dangly tie strings. FT's placement where the obi will cover is also excellent (and probably where the velcro on mine should have been).

You might also consider rare earth magnets.  Sewn into pockets inside the hems.  they'll stick pretty good.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »

For my costume I used press snaps on the shoulders of my tunic and tabards (making sure they were positioned to have the correct overhang past the hem of the tunic). Another trick I had to employ because I am a very slim build was to stitch hook and eye fasteners into the tunic near each hip bone so I can pull the tunic across and hold it shut.
i may try this eye hook for tunic closure - i have seen it mentioned previously (you maybe) but keep forgetting - point!
for the tabards, i directly sewed into the tunic shoulders after setting length.  I have mine where the two are offset in length to give a more "casually traditional" look Wink
snaps may be preferred if worn regularly due to ease of cleaning separate pieces.
on the obi, i had to sew additional velcro to make for a tighter fit - the belt and gear hide the stitches.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

velcro works good for things that need adjusting as size varies, like an obi.  Your diameter isn't the same every day.
word!
You might also consider rare earth magnets.  Sewn into pockets inside the hems.  they'll stick pretty good.
Be sure to seal the magnets to prevent rusting over time.  Most are coated but that can crack/crumble and become a stain.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2026

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 07:42:29 PM »

I had to get hook and eyes put on one of my black tunics, its super soft slicky kind of material and the tabbards always slid off my shoulders, it really helped though

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 08:55:10 PM »

I had to get hook and eyes put on one of my black tunics, its super soft slicky kind of material and the tabbards always slid off my shoulders, it really helped though
My Jedi Closet tunic has velcro along the shoulder ridges and the corresponding spot on the underside of the tabbards for that problem.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 12:31:39 AM »

i may try this eye hook for tunic closure - i have seen it mentioned previously (you maybe) but keep forgetting - point!
for the tabards, i directly sewed into the tunic shoulders after setting length.  I have mine where the two are offset in length to give a more "casually traditional" look Wink
snaps may be preferred if worn regularly due to ease of cleaning separate pieces.
on the obi, i had to sew additional velcro to make for a tighter fit - the belt and gear hide the stitches.

Hi Nunya, yes I have posted my tips before but the question always seems to pop up on Star Wars forums now and then - and this reminds me I need to add the snaps etc to my new tunics (I bought two more sets recently).
The "casually traditional" look you mention is the other reason I added everything to my outfit - I have been told a few times I have a passing resemblance to Qui-Gon so I needed a way to adjust/fit the tunics in both a slack worn in way and a more tidy fitted look so using these tricks helped.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 02:39:55 AM »

oh man! You guys are all the best! That was exactly what I hoped for.. I need to add these both to my velcro studded jedi costume and now my black far far away set as well.( tabards are diffrent on that as they are same as SirLuftALots...think Vader ). I did buy the snaps and will have to use those (also must remember how to sew from 8th grade home ec...)

…POINTAGE FOR ALL

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 03:18:33 AM »

I did buy the snaps and will have to use those (also must remember how to sew from 8th grade home ec...)

Trust me, if I can sew them on mine then you should have no problem. There are a couple of good YT tutorials on "Invisible Stitching" techniques for these press snaps and Hook/Eye fasteners...I just followed those.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 01:43:43 AM »

Trust me, if I can sew them on mine then you should have no problem. There are a couple of good YT tutorials on "Invisible Stitching" techniques for these press snaps and Hook/Eye fasteners...I just followed those.

ROGER ROGER!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: