Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Exploring LED idea  (Read 2065 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: August 24, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »

II've noticed you can find lots of those LED lighting strips for pretty cheap. I know they can be an interesting addition to costumes and such.

Here's the question:
With the USB version of these light strips, is it possible to power them with a slim rechargeable  power bank like one would use for a cellphone?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 01:26:30 PM »

hmm, don't know but that gives me an idea for a larger build.  USB lights hooked to unpowered USB hub hooked to USB recharger pack.  The hub lets you run multiple lights.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »

II've noticed you can find lots of those LED lighting strips for pretty cheap. I know they can be an interesting addition to costumes and such.

Here's the question:
With the USB version of these light strips, is it possible to power them with a slim rechargeable  power bank like one would use for a cellphone?
it will come down to the voltage and amps required to light the strip.  longer will need more amps.  if you can convert the power source for the strip to pull from battery and have a battery which can meet the demand then it  may work.  you may also need a switch to open/close the circuit to the power source. 
You will most likely need a lithium-ion battery with high-amp discharge - be extremely cautious working with batteries.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 01:46:58 AM »

most of these are meant to plug into the usb on your flatscreen tv as bac klight or into an outlet via usb adapter. I figure that if smaller strips are utilized (there are trimming marks on the strips to size as needed) then maybe less load on the battery is needed? Wonder where I can find me an expert? Maybe I should just waste some moolah for an experiment?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 02:19:25 AM »

Here's the question:

Is this the general idea?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCl8_Sp0eA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCl8_Sp0eA</a>

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »

most of these are meant to plug into the usb on your flatscreen tv as bac klight or into an outlet via usb adapter. I figure that if smaller strips are utilized (there are trimming marks on the strips to size as needed) then maybe less load on the battery is needed? Wonder where I can find me an expert? Maybe I should just waste some moolah for an experiment?
i have been building a neopixel and still new at it but have the general knowledge to state that each led module will pull a certain amount of amperage and the strip will require the same voltage (usually 4-5v).
after initial research, experimentation is key to success.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 01:59:53 PM »

about 1 minute of good info in that video - the fact that it was edited...just...*sigh*
to be clear - i am not knocking on SirLiftaLot - point for the share
the take away should be:
  • options exist to step-up output from a powerbank USB
  • strip length is limited by the output amps
  • drink less coffee prior to making a video

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »

That's an approach if you've got a non-USB LED light strip. Good idea.

What MRG has (to my understanding) is an LED light strip that is powered by USB.  Meant to go into USB sockets on a TV or computer.

That connector can go directly into a USB power bank.

So the question is whether the bank's voltage/amperage is appropriate for the LED strip.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 01:43:26 AM »

That's an approach if you've got a non-USB LED light strip. Good idea.

What MRG has (to my understanding) is an LED light strip that is powered by USB.  Meant to go into USB sockets on a TV or computer.

That connector can go directly into a USB power bank.

So the question is whether the bank's voltage/amperage is appropriate for the LED strip.

You are corect in my meaning sir!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 03:24:56 AM »

I do believe there are some battery powered strips available on Amazon if you look.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »

I do believe there are some battery powered strips available on Amazon if you look.
word!
not sure why i forgot about this (probably because it is too damn hot to ride) - i have bike lights for the family night rides. 
Here is one example:
https://www.amazon.com/Activ-Life-Lights-Bicycle-Safety/dp/B076GZ5WRY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B076GZ5WRY&qid=1629986649&sr=8-1

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: